47 coaches online • Server time: 18:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
maysrill

Post   Posted: May 14, 2010 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
Yes, the work done to date is awesome. I would add too the testers have been really good at reporting all kinds of bugs quickly and clearly. Great team effort.

As more of the bugs get ironed out I think it is more and more important that, as suggested before, some of the heavy-duty testers are given stacked cheater teams with as many skills and combos as possible to test all the more bizarre rule combos.

I'd second this. One of the biggest potential for rules weirdness is probably the cheaters once they're skilled up.
benjysmyth

Post   Posted: May 14, 2010 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

clarkin wrote:
Have to agree, having played a load of games recently on the new client it's very hard to go back to the old; played a LRB4 league game and everything felt slow and clunky. Great work on the interface Kalimar; games are definitely quicker because of it too

This is absolutely the case. I played a LRB4 game using the old client today after playing LRB5/6 exclusivley for about a month. It felt like I was wading through glue compared to the usability of the new client!

The new interface is so well thought through - I think it only really becomes clear how much when you have that point of comparision with the old client.

I would urge anyone reading this who hasn't made a LRB5/6 team to give it a go a.s.a.p. Kalimar and the other coders are doing a truly amazing job. Playing the game is a blast in and of itself, but more importantly if we as a community can help them out in however small a way by bugtesting then we should all be doing it.
Calthor

Post   Posted: May 20, 2010 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar,

You are awesome! Just though I'd mention it again. Smile
howlett

Post   Posted: May 20, 2010 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

If you would play soccer as good as programming fantasy football software,
you'd be on your way to South Africa to substitute Michael Ballack.

grr.... Boateng Idiot!
Metalsvinet

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 10:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Have tried the new client a couple of times now and must say it's great! At one time my game crashed (probably my computer) and re-entering was super easy. Amazing job Kalimar Very Happy

And found no bugs btw.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2010 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Had my first test game in a couple of weeks today, good progress made on all fronts! GJ Kalimar. Not a bug in sight.
Koigokoro

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2010 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

This might be the thread to discuss ideas about the user interface and places where information is shown and how.
I did a quick cut, paste and tweak on the current version and thought I'd post as an initiative for what the UI could be.

My point is to display the Action happening and the Dice in the middle of the screen and right next to the pitch so that they can be checked quickly with vertical eye movement.

And then I added screen in the middle under the Dice for the position, stats and skills of the player with mouse over him.

And I tweaked the player portraits so that posiotion, stats and skill are right next to each other.

And additionally counting is so hard that I'd like also to see the number of players On the pitch next to numbers in Reserves or Out.

Well, that's it this time. The idea and the picture is open for any comments or editions.

And there's the image:

Edit: Edited some typos and errors of thought

Last edited by Koigokoro on %b %26, %2010 - %12:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
On1

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2010 - 11:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I have trouble imagining what it will look like O_o or if it will work. However i dislike the current scoreboard.. so I'm somewhat in favor of a change Smile
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2010 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

<i>Personally</i> I'd take the chat out of the central box and put the dugouts back to how they are in Ski's client. I find the curtains a bit clunky. Then you can fit dice in. Also, I never track kick off results anymore, since it doesn't pop up. Riots sometimes get me!

But this stuff is surely so small compared to the awesomeness of a completed client, I guess it's a bit meh. Wink
Koigokoro

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2010 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
<i>Personally</i> I'd take the chat out of the central box and put the dugouts back to how they are in Ski's client. I find the curtains a bit clunky. Then you can fit dice in. Also, I never track kick off results anymore, since it doesn't pop up. Riots sometimes get me!

But this stuff is surely so small compared to the awesomeness of a completed client, I guess it's a bit meh. Wink

Yup, first priority is of course working client, but if I got it right ideas and discussion about the user interface are welcome. Smile
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2010 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with you about the kick off results, it might already be done I'm not sure, but if not it would be good if the kick off result was displayed at the top drop down menu where you can check the inducments etc...

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2010 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Kickoff results always pop up in the latest version (0.5.4).
Would like to use this thread to ask for impressions on the latest release.
Anyone used Hypnotic Gaze yet?
Anyone got a High Kick Kickoff-Result?
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2010 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I have some ideas I want to try to improve the interface more as well. I will take the suggestions here and mock them up properly along with my ideas and then we can see if Kalimar is able to implement them.

Give me a few days and I will post something.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2010 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh please folks. Be so kind and accept that I will not do any major changes to the interface anytime soon. If you look at Koigokor's suggestion above and have been with the project for a while you'll realize that we had something close to that before (it was still called a BloodBowl lrb5 client then). Lots of folks actually complained about having the score split up that way, that's why it is more central now. The layout of the old client (javabbowl) has some serious issues once the box overflows in a section (more than 2 si for instance). The combined chat and log is not everybody's cup of tea either, etc. etc. It's all a compromise. Some people will like it, some will not. No matter how we paint it. It needs to serve its purpose as good as possible, though and that's what I'm aiming for.

@WhatBall: I'd rather see those logos than an ui mockup in fact Wink
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 28, 2010 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Comments on interface suggestions:

Dugouts vs. curtains - I am going to try something with a persistent dugout that handles reserves and those out/banned. I agree this would be better, with the player cards appearing above as needed when you select one or there is an action. (I.e. when needed.)

Kick off results - should be a pop up now. Haven't got a chance to try 0.5.4

Dice - I like the idea of a central display of the dice where the score is now. (but with the pop up still for the player who needs to chose.)

Score positioning - will see where it can move, but the tops may eat up too much space for a full dugout solution. perhaps on the far sides below 'playing' if we move dice.

top bar - I d0on't like the turn, weather, etc at the top, and think it will adversely effect netbooks with short screens.

skills over the portrait - don't like it. Hard to read the skills and it blocks the beautiful work that has been done for the client.

players on the pitch - I like this as I end up counting them all the time. I have an idea that might work well for this.
 Jump to: