25 coaches online • Server time: 02:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Smeesh

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I've asked this several times but am yet to get an answer: Did you guys really intend for 95% of your games to take place within 150TV of each other, for over 50% of your games to be so closely matched by TV that even Babes can't be taken?

For me: No. I would prefer to keep the number of unscheduled coaches as low as possible regardles of TV.

Greetings

Smeesh
Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

dode74 wrote:

I've asked this several times but am yet to get an answer: Did you guys really intend for 95% of your games to take place within 150TV of each other, for over 50% of your games to be so closely matched by TV that even Babes can't be taken?

I dont think any aim was that specific, but the aim is to give coaches as close a match ups as possible. Which is certianly what I want. It is the fairest way to play games where you do not know which race you will be facing or the standard of your opponent.

Inducements as you know are not meant to give fair match ups but just close the gap a little. I would not like to be underdog in an open division, I want every game to be as fair as possible. League is where you get more diverse TV.
But as I said Koadahs is the only alternate way of doing things in the blackbox, I just dont think it would get used or make any real difference.

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I think fair matchups are a good thing, and even a 230TV difference is currently giving the underdog a 43% win% as a mean in the Box - that seems pretty fair to me given the vagaries involved in racial matchups, the dice, and the fact that TV really isn't a good measure of team capability as I demonstrated several pages back, and you also demonstrated by choosing low-TV efficient teams for your examples of what you would think of as exploitation.

Either way, Garion, I don't think we'll agree on this. I've listed what I think are the benefits of widening the gap, so I'd like you to list benefits of keeping it as it is. "Reducing exploitation of TV-bands" isn't one, btw, as maintaining a developed but low-TV team allows you to exploit the current system in exactly the same manner.
Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

but 230Tv difference matches do occur already at higher TVs, so are you saying BowlBot should favour larger TV gaps over shorter ones more often?

as said many times, I want to play teams games where no inducements are used as often as possible, as there games should be the fairest and the best tests of Coach skill in a division like Blackbox.

Last edited by Garion on %b %10, %2011 - %17:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
pythrr

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
oh jesus christ, is it that time of month again?

--j

sadly
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

What benefits? Did I miss something or...
dode74

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
What benefits? Did I miss something or...
Dode74 wrote:
oincreasing the 15% or putting in some other method as suggested will increase the odds of a matchup happening, increase the variety of equally-efficient races you can play against, and increase the use of inducements. Using the method Koadah suggested enable you to do so at the coach's preference - choice is a "good thing", right?

Quote:
but 230Tv difference matches do occur already at higher TVs, so are you saying BowlBot should favour larger TV gaps over shorter ones more often?
A 230TV difference happens <1% of the time. I am indeed saying that BowlBot should favour larger TV gaps over small ones more often, as I said in this post: http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=484149#484149 (right at the end).

Quote:
as said many times, I want to play teams games where no inducements are used as often as possible, as there games should be the fairest and the best tests of Coach skill in a division like Blackbox.
If TV were a good measure of team capability I'd agree with you. It's not though, so matching by TV isn't the "fairest" method.

Last edited by dode74 on %b %10, %2011 - %17:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

So you basically want to play [L]eague?
Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:

Thank GOD for you woodstock Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

No. Read the OP again. I was wondering why it was done this way and if there were better alternatives.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

so perhaps you missed the multitude of other thread posts whining about the TV limit and people's insistence that they know better than everyone else?

--j

ImageImage
dode74

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps I did, seeing as I only recently started actually playing here.

Everyone on the internet knows better than everyone else, but that's not exactly conducive to discussion. The use of "whining" in your own post suggests you think you know better too Wink
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:

Yes, but it has no scheduler. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Woodstock wrote:

Yes, but it has no scheduler. Wink

You of all people should know that that is not a limitation. You run the 145 group and created the blackbox sprint.

Any way, why there is a limit has been answered, why the scheduled works like this is because it was the easiest to implement I guess. And it works...
dode74

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

What has not been answered is did you guys really intend for 95% of your games to take place within 150TV of each other, for over 50% of your games to be so closely matched by TV that even Babes can't be taken? There has been talk of fair etc from Garion, but that's not the question I asked since equal TV is not the same as a fair match (as he and I have shown).
 Jump to: