59 coaches online • Server time: 23:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lordweston

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2010 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I normally am really vocally against big guys in blood bowl teams I dislike the whole smearing opposing players in to the turf prior to scoring a touch down style of play they seem to encourage, (having been the smeared opposition rather too many times). This team is my first ranked team and the experience I have of ranked games so far is they are alot more physical and my normal style of human play is proving a little to suicidal, I have enough to hire an ogre and am thinking of hiring one to bulk up the side a bit and allow me more options when dealing with big guys other than running away. It will also allow to play a more varied style with my human team rather than semi elf running or fast passing it will also allow me to compete slightly better in a physical confrontation. What are your opinions? http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=596556
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2010 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

an ogre is essential to a human team.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2010 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

An ogre is good, if only to prevent the squishier linemen and positionals getting hurt on the LoS.
Take one! Very Happy
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2010 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

lordweston wrote:
I normally am really vocally against big guys in blood bowl teams I dislike the whole smearing opposing players in to the turf prior to scoring a touch down style of play they seem to encourage, (having been the smeared opposition rather too many times). This team is my first ranked team and the experience I have of ranked games so far is they are alot more physical and my normal style of human play is proving a little to suicidal, I have enough to hire an ogre and am thinking of hiring one to bulk up the side a bit and allow me more options when dealing with big guys other than running away. It will also allow to play a more varied style with my human team rather than semi elf running or fast passing it will also allow me to compete slightly better in a physical confrontation. What are your opinions? http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=596556

While humans aren't even competitive with ogre, I wholeheartedly agree with your initial statement.

In fact, this topic has been brought up on tbb.com once, where someone mentioned that his league had very good experiences with their league (which doesn't allow big guys at all).

I too believe, that the game would be more fun without them, even though that's never gonna happen and therefore a purely theoretical wish, of course.
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2010 - 00:05 Reply with quote Back to top

The ogre adds more armor and a Guard (after the first skill roll usually) to a team that badly needs these. Bigguys usually look more threatening than they really are.

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2010 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Good human teams have to be able to play both bashy or "elflike" depending on opposition concentrating on only one will be ineffective half of the times.
MattDFan

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2010 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

A human team without an Ogre? I've never heard such jive. Get it now.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2010 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree w/ Frankenstein, but since [R] is never going to be a non-big guy division...Ogre, Ogre, Ogre!!!

~B

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2010 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

An Ogre is clearly the missing link from this team. You have all four blitzers (key to a human team imo) so sticking an ogre on the LOS to soak up the blocks is going to save your linos some serious grief.
Dakkon12

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2010 - 01:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Buy him! Do it! Do it NOW! Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2010 - 02:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Adds some muscle to a team that doesn't have anything above STR 3 (or 2 in the catcher's case) without a double 6. Initially, they're not actually there necessarily to pound people into dirt but rather as protection for your team (AV9 and high strength) and to occupy opposing players. If you think about it, if you can get your ogre to engage say three opposing linos, that's a 1:3 ratio in your favour meaning 2 of your players (assuming it's 11 a side on the pitch) free to do something else. And he doesn't even have to do anything except just stand there - though it's probably a good idea not to leave him too isolated in case someone feels gang foul happy.

Guard is probably the most common skill for them and just adds to the amount of protection they offer to your team. They can't get block until they roll a double and until then they're a bit of a liability if you're trying to use them to bash with them.

In my mind, the primary role of the Big Guy is not actually for bashing (with the exception of perhaps the Minotaur). They're there to take punishment (Trolls!), occupy opposing players (Beasts of Nurgle!) or somewhat a balance of both (Ogres!). Bone Head/Really Stupid/Wild Animal in their best case scenarios still have a 1 in 6 chance of failing making them unreliable - and you always run the risk of wasting a blitz action if you choose to do that.

I suppose you could make the case that they're also there for TTM, but that doesn't apply to your humans.
lordweston

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2010 - 04:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Whilst I do see the tactical sense of an ogre and am now probably going to get one I just feel slightly hypocritical given my very vocal prejudices against both big guys and an overly aggressive style of play not that my style was necessarily any more successful in fact probably the opposite if you look at my stats lol and MattDFan all of my human teams so far have been sans ogre admitted one of them went through and 16 game loosing streak but it did it without an ogre
Zombie69

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2010 - 04:22 Reply with quote Back to top

If you wanna play without big guys, then you should play amazon, pro elf, high elf or dark elf (all of them close enough to human teams, and actually much closer to the playstyle you're looking for).
PainState

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2010 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Zombie on that one...if you just dont like the Big guys then play High Elves...Humans with AG4, 2 blitzers, "real" catchers and minus the ogre. Only negative is higher cost for players and not as many initial skills on your players.

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2010 - 07:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, if that's the case, start learning how to use elves. High elves are the easiest to start learning. They are basically humans w/ 4AG & a few less blitzers.

~B

Jump to: