51 coaches online • Server time: 00:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Convince a friend to...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Ranked challenges?
Great idea
29%
 29%  [ 20 ]
No way
37%
 37%  [ 25 ]
Suck it down Uber!
32%
 32%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 67

keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2006 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Id like to challenge Uber to a pie eating contest. Pick your poison!

Jeffro
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2006 - 01:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Uber...aren't you at least a teensy bit worried I'd use this propsed challenge system to publicly pwn you all the time? Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2006 - 01:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course I wouldn't mind, that would beat the heck out of those stupid pie thread! Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2006 - 02:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Why does no one consider that there already is a challenge system in place in ranked? Its how you get game. You msg them saying X v Y? That right there is your challenge.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2006 - 03:24 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing is:
How serious are the challenges? Are there any penalties if a challenge is declined? If not, then it`s not worth coding because you basically have created an more elaborate way to do the same thing that you are doing now via gamefinder and chat. If yes, you have to make sure, that only fair challenges are issued and that there are also penalties for losing, to keep the teamkillers in check.

If you really want to play challenge, just join my new King of the Hill League. There you can actually challenge without your opponent being able to dodge you.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2006 - 04:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's a good idea. Like match reports, it adds spice to the game and makes the challenge public...whereas lfg/gamefinder the challenges are usually private.

but yes, very quickly, the challenge system would be used to cherrypick and for bashy teams to prey upon prancy teams....so....

I think it there should be nothing extra to gain or lose. It's only point would be to publicize the match with a bit of personal flare.

Boot to the Head challenges Inkaprettatori - "You're @ss is CAS beastieboyz!"

Lavino Fighting Hellfish challenges MPC Boyz - "Now that you've finally played someone else, we can legally have that rematch : )"

Elementary my dear Mika challenges Killa Kroo - "Please kill us....please..."

ImPossibles challenge Khorn's Tempest - "Die Chaos Die! Die by the brutal onslaught of my wood elves!"

Sotek's Warriors challenges MIst Guardians - "How about Tuesday night ark? Be there or be scared : )"

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2006 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Man those would be boring challenge "mottos". Be creative Smile.

-Mnemon
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2006 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I liked Ladder a lot, and it could work a treat for Ranked as well. I would see it as a way of representing a 'grudge book' and add more fluff to the game in general. Personally i'd recommend:

No punishments for declining a match.
1 challenge every 2-3 days (1 a week was too long a period)
Have a challenge ratio: Challenges:10, Won 2, Ratio: 20%
Challenges Not Affecting CR might be a good way to avoid Cherry picking, but i'm indifferent to CR so this isn't an objective opinion.
A challenge calendar, where you can specify when you are online for challenges, 2-3 boxes would cover things like Friday-Sunday 20:00-00:00, Monday-Wednesday 9:00-13:00, Thursday 12:00-16:00 bbtime... then your opponent clicks the relevant box for when you are available to play when submitting the challenge...
Match reports should be added a 'challenge' pic, and add the 'smack talk'... censoring here would be necessary though, so a 'report insult' button should be added...

and it could be fun! I have to admit i haven't played ranked in ages, but would give it a try again if challenges went in!

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
 Jump to: