52 coaches online • Server time: 00:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Convince a friend to...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think?
PeteW is right!
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Reset CR immediately!
14%
 14%  [ 9 ]
PeteW is wrong.
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
PeteW is a geek.
26%
 26%  [ 17 ]
PeteW is a n00b and deserved to be crushed by Malthor.
28%
 28%  [ 18 ]
Macavity must have broken it. Throw a pie at him!
20%
 20%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 64

sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2006 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:
Without that change, we'd be back at having people with CR 230 and still climbing. As it is now, we have people reaching 190, then dropping back into 180, with nobody ever managing to permanently stay above 190.

Given the mathematical nature of the ranking formula, this is exactly what it's trying to achieve, and as such, it is doing a good job right now.

See also: Elo Rating System

currently true. Will not be always true. Why? Because of noobs, tbh. Every new player that stay shortly adds an amount of CR points.

let's say that we are 10 on fumbbl. We "introduce" 1500 CR points.
If I gain 3 pts then the other lost 3.

But now a noob enters. he looses a lot (he is a noob) he looses 20pts of CR. the pool was 1650. now if he drops out, it's a 1650-130=1520 CR pool left.

The question is tough, if CR of old timers leaving - 150= 150- CR of newbees leaving.

ps: damn I am in a math day today Very Happy.

Have you noticed the decrease of CR value. shortly after the reset: 160 was top. Then 170 was top. Now it's more around 175+

I believe that someone will stay over 190 for a long time.....but not by reaching that mark and stopping Ranked.

ps: isn't that another CR flaw? stay high indifinitely by not playing at all?

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2006 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, please do add another mechanism to keep coaches who don't play much at the bottom of the CR table by having CR decrease over time. Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2006 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

no no, just take it from the above 150 crowd of course mez Razz
uhm, wait wait...

Goodbye Cusi
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2006 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

CR could adjust back to 150 over time Wink so people who don't play for a long time have to start fresh again..

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2006 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe we could relate the CR reset to when people last donated to the site... Laughing

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2006 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Where would the CR go? If in a game the other guy gets what the other guy loses, but CR would decrease, the CR pool decreases over time.

Then again, the excess CR could all go to me... MWAHAHAAA.

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2006 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe only have games played in the last x days,weeks or months count towards CR.

Post count should effect CR as well, if we only had a post count...

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2006 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Good idea.

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2006 - 18:48
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

For those of you who are inclined to som statistics, here's what I get if I look at coaches who have played more than 10 ranked games:

Coaches: 5362
Average CR: 150.6
Standard deviation: 8.7

If I only take into account people who have played within the last 60 days, the numbers change to:

Coaches: 2127
Average CR: 153.1
Standard deviation: 9.9

Here we see that both the average and the spread is slightly larger than before, but I do not see any reason to modify the formula based on this minor discrepancy. And if I actually did do anything, I would likely normalize the CRs to the expected 150.0 instead of making the values converge towards 150 over time.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
Here we see that both the average and the spread is slightly larger than before, but I do not see any reason to modify the formula based on this minor discrepancy.

bah ok, so it means that the "looser pool" goners is higher than the "high ranked" goners. Ok.

Quote:
And if I actually did do anything, I would likely normalize the CRs to the expected 150.0 instead of making the values converge towards 150 over time.

IMO, this doesn't solve the top rankers not playing problem. The convergence would be more advised IMO, though harder to code also.

What would a normalisation bring? After all, it isn't that bad that the average gets higher. Thus, a 150 newcommer isn't now ranked a an average coach. If means=160 for exemple, 160= average coach, and 150 is a new player.

CR decrease over 150, increase under 150 would be nicer.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, but sk8, you are assuming we care, correct? Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
IMO, this doesn't solve the top rankers not playing problem.

If they don't play, their loss. They reached that ranking and I don't see why you should want to take it away from them, unless you have penis envy.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:
Quote:
IMO, this doesn't solve the top rankers not playing problem.

If they don't play, their loss. They reached that ranking and I don't see why you should want to take it away from them, unless you have penis envy.

maybe.

though, legbreaker left with beeing once in top 30, SarumanTheWhite too, Dony currently gone, Ssoulna...

yes yes, I have some names Very Happy

oh, forgot, now Smess..

Don't know if they are back though. But fact is, there are some. Do I care? well, not that much but at least some of them would continue playing....perhaps....

(Or maybe I care?)

Beeing Number One? Forever? Nice achievement before turning your BB page, don't you think?

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

In which case a better solution is "hiding" a coach's CR once he hasn't played a ranked game in X months.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:
In which case a better solution is "hiding" a coach's CR once he hasn't played a ranked game in X months.

agrees! good idea!