22 coaches online • Server time: 03:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think of Coach Ratings
Just a number of useless meaning ???
8%
 8%  [ 7 ]
Just an Ego Issue for some Coaches ???
62%
 62%  [ 49 ]
Just causes more Cherrypicking ???
29%
 29%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 79

ex-convict

Post   Posted: May 28, 2006 - 02:40 Reply with quote Back to top

My cr is at 152 and my win percentage is around 43...does this mean I'm a bad coach? Not at all, it simply means that some of my early teams and experiments went awfully wrong. Take my 2/2/17 human team for example. If that team wasn't part of my record, my % would change dramaticaly. My Cr is low since I just wouldn't give up on my 7/7/17 darkies. Basicaly, people could look at my CR and % and underestimate me, so perhaps I should keep them where they are Wink

Don't drop the soap.
pac

Post   Posted: May 28, 2006 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

MightyQ wrote:
... and one coach over 165 was only at 51%...

I'm quite close to this as my CR is currently just over 164, while my win rate is at 52%. Some contributory factors to this might be: I have an all-Zombie team (which also doesn't foul) in [U] (they are 2/1/7), and some other silly teams there as well; I have a team which follows very silly rules in [R] itself at the moment; I had a Dwarf team in [R] which suffered 3 permanent injuries in its first match - but I carried on with them (now retired though); I do sometimes play good coaches, and do sometimes then win - boosting my CR. And there are lots of other things as well.

So, CR and win rate just show you aspects of a complex picture. If I ran nothing but 'zons, Orcs and CDs I would probably have a) died of boredom by now, and b) got a CR over 170 and a much higher win rate before I passed away.

If you want to examine a team's record more closely, don't forget that you can look at the team's stats page (coach result stats were disabled, team stats were not), which will give you an idea of how often and by how much they have played up/down in TR/TS, as well of the mix of opponents they have faced.

Post   Posted: May 28, 2006 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

You're forgetting something here. If some coaches play up, because they trust in their skills and know they can win, it shows up in the other coaches' stats as cherrypicking, although he didn't do anything. If someone plays up, there will always be someone who plays down.

Post   Posted: May 28, 2006 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

stormknight wrote:
Don't take CR seriusly... Look at my CR and my win% and you get the picture. Wink

And as far as I can see, you wonn a smack recently Wink
Optihut

Post   Posted: May 28, 2006 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't believe 55 people voted in this poll.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 09:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I know one coach rated over 177 currently and at Win percentage of 51%.

He should be flamed:

boooooo you boooooooo

I won't name it but a pie for the guy finding who it is.

Maybe could he even explain how to reach that CR while winning so few?

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a few notes before I go to bed...

Thomcat wrote:
Because the are way for an average coach to become 17X+ CR - just by playing new norse, dwarf and amazon teams - and then retire them after 4-7 games. They even get the bonus of it mostly being newcommers that will play them hehe

thomcat!!! no!...who would ever do something as despicable as that?....Wink

PurpleChest wrote:
If Cr becomes Official Tourneys only it means the meta game becomes 'build the best team for the R tourneys'.

you say that like it doesn't already happen...i built my cripples *specifically* for the light bracket of the UI...they're purely anti-elfball, and are brutally effective, and they probably would have done better, had i not rolled an entire string of pure crap pushes in the second round against a solid zon team....i also know other coaches who have bumrushed making a team to get them built from TR100 for specific tournies, XFL being a major one...

as for comparing CR to win/loss ratio, it's a highly inaccurate thing to compare....

example....

say a coach has a 500 win, 1500 loss record, giving him a 25% win/loss record....now...let's also say, for argument's sake that this coach has a CR of 130...

now, let's say this coach plays 500 games ina row, and wins every single one of them....so he ends up with a 1000 win, 1500 loss record...effectively a 40% record...

now, obviously, if a coach on here wins 500 matches in a row, they're CR is going to be astronomical...it's common, that under the right circumstances, a winning coach can jump 10 CR in less than 10 games...but let's say for arguments sake, that his CR bumps to 160....so you have a 160 CR coach with a 40% win/loss record...

see what i'm getting at?

CR doesn't care how many wins or losses you have...it's going to fluctuate based simply on the game at hand, and based simply on those parameters given(CR vs CR difference, TR/TS difference, etc etc)...your win loss percentage is going to fluctuate *only* on whether you win/lose/tie...

additionally....your CR can fluctuate drastically from one day to the next, depending on how games go....it takes considerably more time to affect your win/loss percentage, especially if you're an established regular of the site with 300, 400, 500+ games under their belt...

does that kinda help explain how some coaches have high CR with crappy % rankings a little?

oh, one last thing....

sk8bcn wrote:
He should be flamed:
boooooo you boooooooo

actually....His win/loss record is 44%

i'd like my in lemon meringue please Wink

--j

ImageImage
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 10:46 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
sk8bcn wrote:
He should be flamed:
boooooo you boooooooo

actually....His win/loss record is 44%

i'd like my in lemon meringue please Wink

--j

yarrrrr, and I always tought that I was the lowest win percentage coach and high CR.

I take my hat off to Vanguard. Well done.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

He is not the only major Cherrypicker. There's a 180+ coach with a similar syndrome.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

OverDose wrote:
He is not the only major Cherrypicker. There's a 180+ coach with a similar syndrome.

what do you mean? Low win % and high CR.

Are these guys obvious cherrypickers or what? Question

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

No. I didn't mean that. Vanguards win % is so sucky because he was a CR 137 coach for 300 matches or so (look at his development).

The coach I'm talking about has a win % of 68.
Flix

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

win% make no difference if you win against a bb beginner or a top player
CR make the difference

Players with low win% and high CR wont cherrypick
OverDose

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Flix wrote:
That's not true. _Most_ coaches with high CR and low win % either a) have just won a tournament (and thus have a high boost to their CR) or b) play up in CR and/or in TR/TS almost all the time (rarely the case).

But in some cases, a player with low win % and high CR will Cherry pick.

Flix, if you play 300 matches and lose 290 of them, and then start Cherry picking and win a lot (say 70 % of your matches) for 700 matches, what's your win % then?

50 %
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

OverDose wrote:
Flix wrote:
That's not true. _Most_ coaches with high CR and low win % either a) have just won a tournament (and thus have a high boost to their CR) or b) play up in CR and/or in TR/TS almost all the time (rarely the case).

But in some cases, a player with low win % and high CR will Cherry pick.

Flix, if you play 300 matches and lose 290 of them, and then start Cherry picking and win a lot (say 70 % of your matches) for 700 matches, what's your win % then?

50 %

Overdose, I'll gladely "cherrypick" you (since I must be a cherrypicker).

Honestly, my win percentage of 51% comes from

a) the fact I like to play vs high ranked coaches. Beeing asked by them for a challenge boosts me up.

b) but the true reason is that I play mostely not in R, and in many different ways. I play stunty for fun, played with teams in tournaments so sucky that I am sometimes ashamed by how I develloped them. honestly, playing in R is somehow different from the rest.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2006 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

OverDose wrote:

50 %

Just a question? What made that 3.33% games won guy a 70% wins guy? He really would need to have gotten god's blessing or cherrypick the pure noob never played guy.

I also can create exemples that doesn't exist:

What would be that CR and win percentage of that coach that always beats CR 170 coach and never win vs 130 and less ranked.

Or that guy that never wins in R but wins 100% of his games in U and plays 9 times in U for 1 game in R.

Vanguard however has a specific profile. He won smacks. Question is, can he stay at his ranking or not?