68 coaches online • Server time: 22:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 01:55
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Hey peeps.

I'm looking at the Factions and am very saddened to see that there are so many people who haven't played a match at all. Why are you not playing games in this division?

So many people complain that there's so much cherry picking, but instead of joining the factions and showing how it should be done, they just sit at the sidelines and complain. I don't get it..

Another thing I don't understand is how a number of people are saying it requires too many games.. Looking at the last round, you needed three wins in F2 to be promoted to F1. From F3 to F2, you needed 1 win and one loss... Now, two games in two weeks.. is that too much?

Basically, the way it is now you need to play one single game to prevent yourself from being relegated from F2 or F3. That's just sad in my opinion.

So.. Why are you not playing?
Nicodemus1

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 02:01 Reply with quote Back to top

All stats etc. are in Ranked... And I have actually never really read the rules for Faction because i´m pleased with Unranked as well as Ranked...

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 02:20 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest,

Faction intrigues me a little but I am more interested in playing in Ranked at the moment.
mistermurphy

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

From where I sit, it looks like its a problem where a bunch of people need to start playing all at the same time to fix it. The reason I'm not playing is that whenever I can play a game, there is no one in even a reasonable TR/TS range of my Faction team looking for a game. Until people can reliably find a game, they won't look for a game. Chicken, Egg = Ruh Roh.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 02:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Nicodemus1 wrote:
All stats etc. are in Ranked... And I have actually never really read the rules for Faction because i´m pleased with Unranked as well as Ranked...

all stats are in ranked...but yet you play unranked?

sounds like you just contradicted your own reason for not playing faction

--j

ImageImage
johan

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I want to see if any teams save elves have a chance to win in the new system first. Let's say I doubt it, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 03:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I'm not actually playing a lot of games at the moment. I am playing in a couple of unranked tournaments, and in the SWL Fringe, and that's about it. I rarely play in ranked (only one in the last 6 months), faction (also one match in the last 6 months), and am yet to play a stunty game.

I have enjoyed Faction in the past, and probably will do so again, at the moment though, it is simply easier to find fun matches against coaches in my own timezone in the SWL.

Quod

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 03:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried playing in F, but being an australian, I could almost never find anyone online to play, and most of the time the ones that were online, couldn't or wouldn't play.

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 03:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Force of habit, I guess. I don't play stunty, I don't play faction, I rarely play in unranked and am mostly found in ranked. From my perspective there is nothing wrong with faction, nothing that needs to be fixed in order to sway me to play there - it's a fine division, I just don't stray too far from ranked.
Freppa

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 04:02 Reply with quote Back to top

personally i actually started playing faction recently and i will give faction an honest chance. however, i dont see how the current faction system prevents cherrypicking, i really dont see why points dont go "both ways" (?) and i dont understand at all why faction games couldnt at least count for championship standing.
m0nty

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 04:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I've already said my piece to Christer directly. IMO the system should match up teams to make them S*, where both teams score points from the game, wherever possible. The current system discourages play outside your S* opponents because why would you play meaningless games that hurt your chances of ranking well in the group if you play an opponent who has you as S but you don't have them as S?

I have been playing non-S* for recovery purposes in F2 - three S* games and two non-scoring games (for me) - but I don't see many other non-S* games being played. Those that do get played are usually huge TR mismatches where the non-scoring team has the bigger and better roster, and is pretty much assured of not losing... that seems to be the only way those non-S* games get accepted.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 04:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with m0nty on that one. As far as the higher divisions go, that would be my guess as to the reason for lack of played games. It is unlikely that you'll get many games where one side has "nothing to gain", which is exactly the situation where you are playing a stronger team with no possibility of gaining points.

Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

1) Teams should be bale to score against each race once in a particular round. If more than one race is in a league, predetermine which team you can get points against.

This will enforce a higher racial diversity while disencouraging excessive cherrypicking.

2) I also would like to suggest a different scoring-system.
The current system appears awkward and unattractive to me.

Alternative suggestion:

3 points win
1 point draw
0 points loss

tie-breaker 1: played games
tie-breaker 2: TD-difference
tie breaker 3: head to head
tie breaker 4: cas-difference

For these tie-breakers, games which a team could not get points for should also count, to encourage game play.

The tables might look much cooler if they included all relevant information for the current round.

Example:
Code:
                          W D L  Po    TD    CAS   G     
1. Middenheim Marauders   6 - 1  18  20-13  11-12  7
2. Bright Crusaders       5 1 1  16  15-10   2-14  7
3. Elfheim Eagles         3 1 2  10  22- 7   3-33  6
4. Chaos All Stars        2 3 3   9   7-10  31- 5  7

I think that most coaches might like such a table for factions. Would be far more sexy and attractive than the current one.

3) The team page should show faction medals, perhaps also a link to the faction history of that team (season, league, place)

4) Players should be able to acquire medals as well. These should be shown on the team page, next to the player's name and in the bio of that player.

5) For faction 1, players should also be able to acquire additional titles (e.g. most SPPs for a season (the MVP), most casualities, most touchdowns, most interceptions, most completions. An overview table similar to the "Previous Winners"-table should be set in place. You will see that many coaches will try to play as many games as possible, just to get chances for their players to earn those titles and enter the respective Halls of Fame.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, some great ideas there Frankenstein.

The extra awards for most SPP, cas etc sound really good.

I think another problem with faction, is due to there being so few people playing it, its hard to find an equal game when starting out, whilst in R there are loads of teams to choose from.

Though this would of course be solved if more people started playing it, so kind of a catch 22

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2006 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Frankenstein that it would be nice if wins, draws, losses etc could be included in the ladders, but I understand why Christer doesn't do it because it would take a long time to load up.
 Jump to: