48 coaches online • Server time: 14:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Meat Grinder Season ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wishmaster

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2003 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Can you set time limit at 4 mins for a turn?
I think 4 mins are more than enough.
It's so frustrating when a coach takes over 4 mins for moving all players.
Ixnatifual

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2003 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure that's a good idea. What if the phone rings while it's your turn? Or if someone's at the door? Or if you -have- to go to the bathroom? Smile

And what if the connection suddenly slows down during your turn, and you can't move for four minutes? Do you lose your turn?

I think it's working fine as it is right now. Sure, newer coaches player more slowly, but I don't think it's that frustrating to wait a couple of extra minutes.
AlphaX

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2003 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe have both players times displayed seperately? [lap and overall]
leviathan

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2003 - 09:50 Reply with quote Back to top

4 minutes is way too severe, but with the problem of people's connections dropping out I dont see hoqw you could have automatic turn-over after a set time.
tgrozow

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2003 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Mayeb it could be added as an option. Have a field in the options screen that says something like 'Auto turn over after how many minutes?' this way, people can implement the time limit, if they want to and adjust it according to how good their connection is
wyldman

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2003 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I think there should be a 4 minute time limit, per LRB, with 2 timeouts for the game. I have played several games where my opponent, just kept clicking on players and the turn took 10 minutes. As for line speed, I usually host, (cable modem), but the amount of data being passed between machines should have little or no effect on time limits.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2003 - 01:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with wyldman... I love games that take an hour... have played a couple with me ripping off my usual 2-3 minute turns and then the opponent taking up to 10 minutes... note to all 10minute/turn people.. start thinking while your opponent is moving, you should know roughly what you want to accomplish at least one turn ahead of the time.

I also like the time-out idea, there are times in the later stages of the game where you need to sit and think about what to do... ex:if their gutter runner just solo tacked your str 4 ball carrier... whether or not this is do-able... is a completly different matter. SkiJunkie has made a wonderfull little applet and I'm happier than a pig in dung with it as it is now.

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2003 - 04:20 Reply with quote Back to top

A 4 minute turn limit is not a good idea for online play since your opponent has to make choices too for example. An overall time limit as in Magic The Gathering Online would be a good idea though. If that could be implemented, that is.
BloodRunners

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2003 - 07:14 Reply with quote Back to top

In the online chess games I play, there is a timestamp. My machine keeps track of my time and sends that time info with my move. In that way, the time lost over the connection is nullified. So I don't see any problems with making a 4 minute time limit on moves as the LRB says to. In fact, given that the game plays faster online than it does over the board, ie no dice to pick up and roll, no figs to carefully move, no pointing out your assissts to your opponent, etc.. 4 minutes should be MORE than enough time to play. As per the phonecalls and stuff, well a timeout or two should cover those. I would like to state however, that I would not care if the time limit never came to be. I too am as pleased as a hog in dung that skyjunkie put this program together and that christer and company maintain this sight.
Sinner

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2003 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

well.....

supposed your phone rings and it is NOT in your room, supposed it is important, so you can´t play. Suppose this happens twice...

It is an online game, but sometimes the real life disturbs the happy reality of online gaming Smile. Of course you can´t be sure if this guy´s phone really is ringing, but the same could happen to you and you want an unsterdanding coach on the other side right?

4 min time limit makes sense playing table top but here I think it would just make a mess, especially when you are about to blitz with the last person moveable, after you moved all other players and your timelimit stops you one square before the victim.

Just my opinion, normally i do my moves in 3- min, but it´s easy when you have only 8 pansy-eared elves left, hehe.

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2003 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Normaly 4 minutes is more then enough. You don't have to double-cross check your roster like you have to do when you play the boardgame, which speeds things up greatly.
OTOH, I like to play my games in a friendly atmosphere and do not wish to put up pressure on the other coach. So far, I have only played against guys who were quite fast in executing their turns with just a few exceptions. Me, however, does often miss that it is my turn and it does often take a mild kick in my old butt to remind me of that.
"Schugger, still there?"
"hmm, yes, why do you ask?"
"Well, it is your turn since ages."
"Oh..."

Jump to: