15 coaches online • Server time: 04:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DanielM75

Post 8 Posted: Oct 19, 2010 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing I won't miss about the current client is the the way it handles handicaps, and yes, I know there aren't any in FFB.

Two games running, after I was giving up handicaps, the opponents have lost connection after the handicaps were given.

I'm not saying that they did it on purpose in this case, but I will garauntee there are people that do that kind of thing.

It is crazy that the game isn't saved after the handicaps are decided. (and for those of you who, pythrr Smile , who will cease upon this one line and critise me for critising the client, I am EXTREMELY greatful to fumbbl and Ski Junkie for the opportunity to play at all)

In the last game, my 6 Ogres and 4 Gobbos are up against 11 Skaven. We have equal TS, but I'm giving up 3 Handicaps. Going to be tough for me.

First time we roll handicaps are very good for me:
- Palmed Coin - who cares
- Extra Training - no problem
- Knuckledusters - might hurt my gobbos a bit but at least I still start with 10.

Then, something goes wrong as usual......

This time we get:
- Duy, Wasn't Me - fantastic, my best Ogre, and only one with Block misses the game, down to 9 players.
- Iron Man, just fantastic. Now I have a Gutter Runner who I can never get off the pitch, who is going to get in my way ever turn, tie up my Ogres etc.
- Doom and Gloom, great, now the 1st half a team of Ogres with only 9 players has only 1 re-roll.

Got to say it really pisses me off.

If I rolled these first time, no complaints. I'll take what I get.

But when you get mysterious crashes all the time in this situation, got to be suspicious. Especially when opponents don't lose connection to IRC.

Ah, the honest player, screwed all the time. If I was a dishonest bastard I would have refused the game at that point, or faked a crash and re-rolled until I was happy with the handicaps, or sneak hired a wizard or ......
BooAhl

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2010 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

You should have reloaded/restarted until you both were satisfied with the outcome of the handicaps.
Fela

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2010 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing dishonest about insisting on trying to get at least comparable handicaps.
Sinnyil

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2010 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:
Nothing dishonest about insisting on trying to get at least comparable handicaps.

Yes. And you should reload after every block to make sure that all of the blocks are comparable too. And reload after kickoff events, so if (for example) a rock is thrown it hits both teams. Gotta make sure everything is fair!

Random results are just that. I'm not saying that the handicap system isn't heavily flawed, I'm just saying reloading to get results that you want or whatnot is a ridiculous notion in a game governed by dice.
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2010 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

My biggest problem with the old handicap system was that only half the handis where actually there, due to the client not being able to handle alot of the results.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2010 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Sinnyil wrote:
Fela wrote:

Yes. And you should reload after every block to make sure that all of the blocks are comparable too. And reload after kickoff events, so if (for example) a rock is thrown it hits both teams. Gotta make sure everything is fair!

Random results are just that. I'm not saying that the handicap system isn't heavily flawed, I'm just saying reloading to get results that you want or whatnot is a ridiculous notion in a game governed by dice.

Erm... yeah coz rocks being thrown on kick off is comparable to reloading a game that hasn't started.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2010 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Sinnyil wrote:
Fela wrote:

Erm... yeah coz rocks being thrown on kick off is comparable to reloading a game that hasn't started.

+1 for truth
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2010 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the good news is, this problem goes away in FFB \o/
Grod

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2010 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I couldn't but help look at your last opponents. Two games fit the description.

I just thought I would say if the opponent was Cloggy, then I am sure it was in fact just that - a coincidental disconnection. They do happen you know! And they can work both ways.

Oscar Wilde
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2010 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Nighteye wrote:
My biggest problem with the old handicap system was that only half the handis where actually there, due to the client not being able to handle alot of the results.

You need to work on your math...there are 3 missing out of 18.
Were_M_Eye

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2010 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Palmed coin. How i hate that one. It is like "Congratulations, you won a bag of air (please return bag after air been used)". Will not miss that one.

But i will miss Iron man. That's a fancy handicap.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2010 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

For some reason I read "comparable" not in the intended way, by which (upon rereading) I believe he meant comparable to what it was the first time.

I'm not even entirely sure how exactly I interpreted it. Apparently in a way to get a stick planted somewhere where it didn't belong, and rather firmly at that. I think I may have somehow combined BooAhl's replay with Fela's, and come up with some terrible combination that meant "You should reload handicaps until everyone is happy with them and it makes the teams comparable". At least that's the incorrect point my brain latched onto when it went into snarky forum poster mode.

With that being pointed out and me gaining some reading comprehension, my post is completely out of line with my personal views, and, I believe, the rules of the site that say in the event of a disconnection things must be recreated.

tl;dr: So I'm dumb, and I apologize.
f_alk

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2010 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Thumbs up to Sinnyil - the world needs more people with enough spine!
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2010 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:
Nighteye wrote:

You need to work on your math...there are 3 missing out of 18.

Might be me confusing LRB4 with LRB3. The old rulesets are kind of a blur to me.
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2010 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Incase anyone is wondering, these are the 3 handicaps the client doesn't handle:
Quote:
    INTENSIVE TRAINING: One player is really psyched for this week’s match, and has been working very hard preparing for it. Pick a player on your team. He may take one extra skill to use for this match only, just as if he had rolled a New Skill result on the Star Player Table.

INSPIRATION: Watching the opposing team in their previous match has taught one of your players a thing or two. Pick a player on your team and give him an extra MVP. If the additional SPPs are enough to give him a new skill then generate it immediately.

THAT BOY’S GOT TALENT: In your last match you spotted a talented fan in the stands, and he agrees to play for your team. Add one player at any position to your roster for this match only. The player leaves the roster when the match ends. Note that you may add a 17th player to a match in this fashion and this player can exceed your normal positional limits.