43 coaches online • Server time: 16:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rabe

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2011 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Fela wrote:
Also as long as it's not back to back matches with the same teams, playing the same coach again is possible in ranked.

As long as it's not done excessively (a 1 in 10 ratio was once given as appropriate) it is also allowed.

(from this thread)

Hm, never really got that rule (or guideline) for ranked and been very (possibly too) careful therefor:

Does it mean...

a) I should play against the same coach only every 11 games?
b) two specific teams should play each other only every 11 games (but may play against other teams of the particular coach)?
c) a team should only be used every 11 games against a specific coach (but two coaches may play each other again as long as they use different teams)?

What happens if I check my (team's) matches and make sure I didn't play that opponent/team for 10 games but it turns out my opponent hasn't?

If there is a link to a clarifying page/topic, please hit me on the head with it and don't forget to leave it in your answer. Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2011 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

It's just a guideline to my knowledge Smile
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2011 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I have played the same coach 2 games after having played him previously, but my total games against that opponent in ranked will be far less than the 10% guideline.
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2011 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's one time I guess it's acceptable:
Your first scheduled game in a tournament is the same coach you played your last match against.

Which brings me to my question:
Does tournament games (majors and minors) count in the 1-in-10 games rule?

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2011 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

patches wrote:
It's just a guideline to my knowledge Smile

Well, that part I know - I just didn't get the exact meaning (and put the three different ways of understanding it there, that I see).

Meanwhile, I found this:
Quote:
Due to the ranking structure, coaches are expected to play a variety of different coaches. Do not use this division to play amongst a close group of friends. The accepted benchmark for this division is 1 in 10 games played vs the same coach. Both teams need to have played a different team before playing again. If you would like to play repeated consecutive games against the same coach/team, you should create your teams in the League division.

https://fumbbl.com/help:ranked

That's pretty clear, guess I should have read it (again) before I opened this thread. *blushes*

Coach: Every 11 games against the same coach.
Team: Every 2 games against the same team.

It also seems to me it shouldn't be a problem to play the same coach again after 5 (or even 3) games if it's an exception and you obviously usually play a big variety of coaches.

If I'm not wrong with this, please just let the topic drown somewhere in the depths of the forums.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2011 - 15:16
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:
Does tournament games (majors and minors) count in the 1-in-10 games rule?

No they dont. And it's still a guideline rather than a strict rule. Smile
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2011 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

No playing the same team back to back of course.
We don't allow playing the same coach back to back in ranked either.
1/10 on average, generally I'd take the current results page.
Scheduled games are listed as such, and are not included in the above, no matter which division.

The back to back team games is tricky, as I did this once with an 8 month gap between the games! The old client never used to let them load.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2011 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the more official answers, Christer and harvestmouse, I feel honored! Smile
harvestmouse wrote:
1/10 on average, generally I'd take the current results page.

1/10 on average sounds very reasonable, but what page are you referring to?

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2011 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

What I mean is, I would look at your last games played page for an average. Not check all your games ever and get the calculator out.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2011 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahhh - even better! Very Happy

Thanks!

Edit:
Hmm... but it shows the games from all divisions and also includes tournament games... What do I miss here?

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2011 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Scheduled games are marked for us.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2011 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, ok - so you have more options. Now I get it. Thanks again (especially for your patience Smile).

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2011 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry for the threadomancy (semi-threadomancy? 2 months, but still near the top of the page), but can you make it clearer, especially for those of us in the far-flung time zones who often butt heads with this rule? I've unintentionally run afoul of it before. I couldn't see in the rules where it said coaches weren't supposed to play back to back, only where it indicated this for teams, and I took that for permission to play back-to-back games against a coach I hadn't seen for 20+ games, just using different teams. Didn't know I wasn't supposed to, Won't do it again.

Like... maybe you should make it a hard-and-fast rule that incorporates the intended flexibility of the 10% rule. Like, you can play up to twice in ten games or three times on the last page of 30 games. That way, you can just go to your "matches" page, and ctrl+F to see if you can play them again, and people don't have to hem and haw about chancing across the same opponent 8 games later.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2011 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

It is a guideline like Christer said above, it will never become a black/white rule.

The problem is a lot of rules could be stricter, but that would mean a lot more work for the admins that do it in their free time. Which isn't something I'm waiting for...
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2011 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

long story short...

if a coach who has 2000 games under his belt plays a back to back game....we're probably going to disregard it...

if a coach who has 2 games under his belt plays a back to back game....we're going to start asking questions...

like all rules...don't be stupid, and chances are you'll be ok

--j

ImageImage
 Jump to: