47 coaches online • Server time: 23:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Synn

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Have to give credit where it's due. This came out of that 15% thread.

PainState wrote:
Well there is one way around all this 15% stuff...but it requires effort. Play SMACK's.

Automate SMACK's for Ranked. The current "system" for getting a SMACK together is a barrier that limits coaches attempting to play in them.

the idea is simple. Go to gamefinder, hit SMACK and apply team. The SMACK screen shows how many coaches are active for each type of SMACK, once it hits 8..bam off we go. Now of course that is the easy part. Christer and his "team" need to code it and so forth. Its just an idea guys, not the be all end all of FUMBBL, Yeah I hear yah yelling and your keyboard getting mauled by your sausage like fingers.

Seriously, I know it probably is difficult, but this would rock so intensely. If Christer ever had a spare afternoon and an urge to code something, I think it would be very well received.

__Synn
Jasfmpgh

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a excellent idea.
PainState

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Well atleast one coach agrees with me, thanks Synn.

SMACK's IMO is the best way to play ranked. A 8 teams mini tournament is a great format and it brings out every aspect of the game.

The barriers Iam talking about for all you new coaches or "old" hands who have never attempted a SMACK are in some cases very large.

1)You have to round up 7 other coaches, try doing that in the North American timezone around 11PM EST, good luck. Then once that is done track down an admin who can manually start up the SMACK. Way to much work involved and if it takes to much time one or two coaches "bail" because it took 3 hours to get it set.

2)Scheduled SMACK is just fine but it is a once a week thing and it loses it flavor of being a sponatneous thing. I understand why it is done and have no problem with that.

For me I would attempt to play in one every night, it is a great format that once it became automated would open up another approach to playing matches.

I also like the idea that the first two rounds of the SMACK are attempted to be played back to back inorder to process the tournament quickly.

So what do you guys think?...Synn and I can go back and forth on this but it would get boring quick and then get the "lock" hammer thrown down for putting everyone to sleep.

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Love the idea but it will never happen because its CHANGE.

Remember when C changed this sites theme OMG how many people was crying, People here seem to not like change even if its for the best.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

i approve this idea

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Keith-Lemon wrote:
Love the idea but it will never happen because its CHANGE.

Remember when C changed this sites theme OMG how many people was crying, People here seem to not like change even if its for the best.

I disapprove of Keith Lemon.
krytie

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

It is true that change causes fear and shock, leading to less games on FUMBBL -- take a look what happened when Keith joined the site -- 2 months of solid growth turned into a huge slump. Twisted Evil bad change, bad!

Regarding the SMACK idea, I'm all for it.

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I mean - perhaps, I suppose it's a fine idea, in principle.

My concern would be that GF rarely has 8 coaches on it when I seem to lfg, let alone 8 coaches in a SMACK bracket. Who'd be patient to wait around when they could just activate for the next Box round, or whatever? I'd rather play in [R] half the time, I just don't have the time to sit and wait.

Wouldn't be high on my to do list, to be honest.
uuni

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Could we have a similar thing for the Box also?
PainState

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting Purplegoo...as a coach who has won 10 SMACKS you have seemed to have lost all patience. What happened when you won all those SMACKS back in the day? Were you sitting in chat and someone announced they needed two more coaches to get one up and running and you just joined up?

That probally was how it happend if I had to quess. Or were you more patient in your youth?

That is the point. If it was automated then if you see that there are 6 coacehs ready for an elite SMACK, you will probally get it up and running in a timely manner. It probally would only take a few postings in IRC to round up 2 more coaches in a timely fashion.

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

uuni wrote:

LOL...just brought up memories of a thread many moons ago about SMACKS in box.

Summary: Smacks are a Ranked thing...if Box wants SMACKS they give up a scheduler for ranked.

Dead thread.

of course this could rekindle one of the ideas on that thread so long ago....IF SMACKS became extremely popular in ranked because they were automated...well a SMACK at its core is the same concept of BOX. Some would feel that would destroy the box and move alot of the Box type coaches back into rank because it has a nice SMACK scheduler option.

For some reason (sarcasim) coaches just seem to like the idea of tournament format instead of a one off format.

Last edited by PainState on %b %10, %2011 - %21:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
uuni

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
uuni wrote:

Summary: Smacks are a Ranked thing...if Box wants SMACKS they give up a scheduler for ranked.

Dead thread.
But I would like to play random game in FUMBBL with over 2100k teams. How do you suggest I proceed?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
Interesting Purplegoo...as a coach who has won 10 SMACKS you have seemed to have lost all patience. What happened when you won all those SMACKS back in the day? Were you sitting in chat and someone announced they needed two more coaches to get one up and running and you just joined up?

That probally was how it happend if I had to quess. Or were you more patient in your youth?

That is the point. If it was automated then if you see that there are 6 coacehs ready for an elite SMACK, you will probally get it up and running in a timely manner. It probally would only take a few postings in IRC to round up 2 more coaches in a timely fashion.

Well it's not as if I was ever a prolific SMACKer. I probably only ever entered double that number? Give or take? In 5 years, that's not many, is it? So I doubt I was ever that patient.

I think I instigated most of the ones I entered, as it goes. But I used to have more time, and [R] used to be much more busy. When it was getting over 13 thousand games a month, it wasn't exactly tough on a weekend or a weekday evening to jolly along 4-5 coaches. There were normally 4-5 all ready to go in the SMACK channel anyway.

Times change. Whilst the idea has merit, it doesn't fit the environment. SMACKs were always rare to a point in comparison to the overall number of R games played, now there are only a fraction going anyway, I just don't see this ever going.

With any luck, the numbers will continue to rise and you'll have an environment this may work in. But now? Nah.
PainState

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

uuni wrote:
PainState wrote:
uuni wrote:

Dead thread.
But I would like to play random game in FUMBBL with over 2100k teams. How do you suggest I proceed?

Well you want random and it is a box team...you need to activate every 15 minutes to find a match up. Which can be a problem because of time and # of coaches in the box.

IF it is a ranked team you can hit GF and sit for 2 minutes or 2 hours depending on traffic and if you can arrange a match.

IF it is ranked you could go into chat and round up 7 other coaches for a legend SMACK and off you go.

Now of course I just described in a very short format the 3 options you currently are presented on FUMBBL for playing "open" Div matches.

Automated SMACKS would be a 4th option and I think possibly a very popluar one.

1)it offers a tournament flavor to matches.
2)it is random
3)Violates the 15% rule
4)It is cool
5)SMACKS come in a box so the branding would cross both open divs.

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

You might be right Purplegoo. The biggest draw back for SMACKS are you need 8 coaches instead of just hitting GF or activating in the Box. But anything good usually requires a little effort. Automated SMACKS makes the effort easier and thus it might just work.