46 coaches online • Server time: 19:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post My 1st Blackbox tour...goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
For a rookie coach, better pick Wood or Dark Elves ?
Wood Elves
36%
 36%  [ 24 ]
Dark Elves
40%
 40%  [ 26 ]
Another team
23%
 23%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 65

Peter22

Post 22 Posted: Jul 02, 2012 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Please help me, because I really can´t decide which of these teams I should play. I played a couple of matches with Orcs, and I still like them, but to learn more about passing and dodging I´d like to start a second team. Wood Elves and Dark Elves the two teams in my narrowed down pick list, but which of those is better suited ?

Had a look at plasmoids site, there I found a comment that Darkies are for experienced coaches, but why ? With 4 blitzers, one runner and line elves they sem to be more forgiving than Woodies with thier low AV and only two wardancers...

Any comments welcome !

PS - which Wood Elves miniatures do you use ? I still haven´t seen really attractive ones.
Redgum

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2012 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

if it's for dodging and passing then go Woodies.

Delfs are the bashiest of the elfs and while they can do the passing game they are initially built for running.

Woodies will teach you how to avoid the bash game, how to make best use of mobility, speed and passing, and force you to adopt different tactics than what works for Orcs.

If it's really about learning a different style of play, Woodies definitely.
IMHO

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2012 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

The playstyle of darkelves are not really about passing - they are a running team, using their agility to regroup and make surgical strikes.
Woodies are more pure agility, usually avoiding too much contact with opponents unless going for the ball.
Therefore I voted woodies if you really want to go for something different than orcs.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2012 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want dodging and passing, I would go for Pro's or Highs... the Woodies are also a running team who are less bashy than DE's.

Pro's > Highs > Woodies > Darkies when it comes to passing games.
Redgum

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2012 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Clay, but have never played Helfs. They don't interest me as much as Pros

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2012 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodies are probably the best starter elf team, as they start with a plan B. Other elves dont have this. starting with a natural cage breaker is great.

also read my wood elf playbook for tips if you like Smile -

http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/LRB6Playbooks.htm
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2012 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Peter22 wrote:

Had a look at plasmoids site, there I found a comment that Darkies are for experienced coaches, but why ? With 4 blitzers, one runner and line elves they sem to be more forgiving than Woodies with thier low AV and only two wardancers...

Sounds as though you still think like an orc coach so dark elves. Wink

Just don't be going toe to toe with better bashers. (Which is still almost everyone. Wink )

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2012 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Peter22 wrote:

PS - which Wood Elves miniatures do you use ? I still haven´t seen really attractive ones.

Oh and also I use Robin Hood lego. Crica 1990

just a bit of blue tac and you are good to go Very Happy
gregory_n_white

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2012 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

As an orc player, Woodies may be hard to play due to AV7 (you will probably try to blovk your way out of trouble and wear too much damage).
Try Darkies or, for passing High Elves. Both have AV8 for most players.
blader4411

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2012 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Wood Elves are best in my mind, as the other elves don't start with many vital skills. Wood Elves on the other hand have Blodge + Leap in-built, so you're always able to do something.
huff

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2012 - 06:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont start by playing woodies, thats the team i started with way back when and now i play any team like i can do anything that i want. im a proficient player but still cant cage worth a dam because i started with the best.
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2012 - 07:54 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to go straight to passing/dodging, then go with high elves or wood elves. WEs will teach you how to score with less than 11 players, how to cage break, and how to set your players up on defense with 2 squares inbetween them. HEs will be less forgiving than WEs if you try to man-mark (something you will probably do for a while after playing orcs) and have St3 catchers, which makes them very awesome. I've never tried pro elves that much, but from what I've seen from my games against them, it takes an experienced elf coach to use them properly.

I do however have lots of experience playing dark elves, and while I'm still not that good with them, they aren't easy for a new coach to grasp. With the ability to start with 4 blitzers, you go into your first few games thinking that you can trade blocks with everyone. DEs can be a dominant defensive squad once skilled up, but they still can't win a block-fest against most teams. DEs are built on team defense thanks to easy access to dodge on their key players, so that they can reposition and tactically strike almost at will. The difficult aspect comes from trying to use witches and/or runners effectively, as both need to be baby-sat to some extent until they get their first (and sometimes) second skill.

So if you want to learn how to pass, dodge, and play "off" on defense, then try HEs or WEs (or Pro.) If you want to try doing some of those (albiet less effectively than the other elves,) but still have some orc aspects in your game, then try DEs.

Better yet, try all of them!

Don't drop the soap.
ignatzami

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2012 - 08:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Best TT wood elf models, hands down.

http://www.greebo.it/public/oscommerce2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=213
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2012 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think Elves of these kinds are good for a rookie.

The reason being that you can select rubbish skills and play poorly; but you only need the odd bit of fortune to score, and it reinforces poor play, setting development back. Middling records can give new players false hope.

Those minis are awful.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2012 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Both teams are a blast to play, but very difficult in my opinion. I voted the other category. If you insist your choice of those, then spectate some game. It may spare you a decimated elf roster.

It is usually easy to score with elves. The tricky part is defense and time management, and avoiding blocks/injuries.
 Jump to: