21 coaches online • Server time: 06:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, I thought it would be nice to have a thread where you could organise and plan ahead for an insta smack.

Currently I have teams that could do EXP and PRO.

TW:
Rookie 0-1000
Exp 1001-1250
Vet 1251-1500
Pro 1501-1750
Elite 1751-2000
Legend 2001+

For those who don't remember, an instant smack is a KO tournament for 8 people who meet on the IRC. It's ranked and the first two games are back to back (assuming you win the first).

If there is enough interest amongst some people to play a certain type of smack they can try and see if they can arrange a meet time to play.

Edit:
Please state what ranges you can play and what time zone you are in.

The more people have interest the better the chances to get something going.

List:
Wreckage: Exp, Pro / any time
Mossbeard: Exp, Vet, Pro, and Elite / past 0:00 and weekends
Popcorn: Rookie, Pro, Elite, Legend / any time
Rabe: Rookie, Experienced, Veteran and (currently) Elite or Legend / spontainously (20:30-21:30 start time)

Last edited by Wreckage on %b %28, %2014 - %20:%Apr; edited 6 times in total
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

The TW bands for Scheduled Smacks were changed, so would Instant Smacks use the new ones, or the old?

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

The page displays ranges exactly as described.. https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=1609
zakatan

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

it also displays that the last insta-smack was played more than a year ago... long before the sched smacks were changed.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
it also displays that the last insta-smack was played more than a year ago... long before the sched smacks were changed.

The ranges are still correct. They are hard coded that way into the scheduler.
PainState

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Find 8 coaches and then worry about TV ranges...that is the hurdle to begin with.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

what scheduler? as far as i recall there never has been a scheduler for smacks, it always required an admin to set it up and start it.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
Find 8 coaches and then worry about TV ranges...that is the hurdle to begin with.

What? That makes no sense at all. Wait, because this has worked so well? This is a thread about organising an instant smack. You need the coaches first, then what ranges they can play and only then it makes sense to talk about a time to do it.

If we get enough people, no matter how much time it takes, there will be 8 who will be able to agree to a time eventually.
There is 0 point in having 10 people to agree to a time to come here when they all can only play different smacks.

Candlejack wrote:
what scheduler? as far as i recall there never has been a scheduler for smacks, it always required an admin to set it up and start it.

Geez, seriously you people? I'm that admin and I'm telling you how it works for three times now.

Is nobody going to offer anything?
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe PainState is referring to a previous mention (I think by PC) that if they want to, teams can play in Smacks at a higher band, but not a lower. I think that was quite a while ago though, like 18 months maybe, as an effort to improve numbers. And I can't remember where it was mentioned; either a blog or forum post I think, but no idea which one.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
play in Smacks at a higher band,
Even if that is possible, you'd still want to make an assessment about what ranges you will be able to play.
Mossbeard

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Smacks are the best thing about fumbbl, I miss them big time.
I have teams in the Exp, Vet, Pro, and Elite range.
I can only play on weekdays after 0:00 bbtime, weekends I could play most times.
Popcorn

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

They were very popular "in my days". Rejoined Fumbbl yesterday and I already miss those tournaments.
Could play Rookie, Pro, Elite, Legend.
Hard to say about time, would try to fit in.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I could and would play Rookie, Experienced, Veteran and (currently) Elite or Legend (probably soon).

However, I can only join spontaneously I'm afraid. "Blocking" and evening in advance for two FUMMBL games will probably result in a both down between my wife and me - and not on a good way. On the other hand, you never know... So, if it was possible, I would like to start it between 20:30 and 21:30 bbtime - otherwise it would get way too late!

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Well if you want an idea (s) on how to get the SMACK scene back up and running here are some thoughts.

We have to revist history for a moment to gleam the answer.

Smacks died for 3 reasons.
1)Introduction of the FFB client and the revamp of the gamefinder.
2)Black Box
3)Reduction in total players on FUMBBL.

Back in the hayday of SMACK all the open play coaches played in one divison, the vast majority were all on IRC and there would be 10-20 coaches LFG on the gamefinder,even in the North American night time hours.

SMACKS were easy to set up IF one or two coaches put some effort into it through IRC.

NOW we time warp to current FUMBBL.

Box and the new gamefinder require no effort to get matches, no need to ever get on IRC.

Coupled with the scheduled Smacks, the resurgance of RRR and sonrises ranking system it seems like most coaches who play "open" play have their plate already full with all these other scheduled tournaments going on. Then you throw in league play commitments and now the # of open play coaches are dramitcally reduced to critically low numbers at any given time LFG.

So how to get around all these obstacles?

First and formost SMACK needs to be rebranded. SMACK needs to be a daily event at, lets just throw out 2 times, 20:00 BB time and 04:00 BB time. Coaches apply their teams to the SMACK group, the admin checks the applied teams IF enough coaches show up he kicks off a tournament or two.

This requires a lot of admin attention to make sure the SMACK is checked on at those 2 scheduled times.

It needs almost daily blogs or FORUM reminders to start out with.

You also need all 8 coaches online and ready to play at the moment the SMACK kicks off, a huge hurdle.

FUMBBL needs to find a new way to communicate with other coaches in this regard. Majority of coaches do not communicate anymore in IRC. Need to find a way to connect with all these coaches beside IRC.

That was the point I was trying to make about saying finding 8 coaches is the hurdle. At that point who cares about TV bands. If you have 8 coaches who all want to throw their hat in the ring, let them.

I appreciate the attempt to bring back the SMACK but IMO with the FUMBBL enviroment right now, that is a pipe dream doing it the old fashion way.

Thus the need to automate the SMACK onto the Gamefinder, communicating with the coaches LFG in a new and up to date manner. No need to expand that thought since it has been discussed in some other threads.

The idea of insta SMACK is to find coaches with out any effort from the FUMBBL side to round up the coaches at a very specific, spontaneous moment and then it launches. Usually because you have a large group of coaches LFG at the same time.

Organizing and saying I can be around on these days and times is pointless, those coaches are not activly looking to join a SMACK. So who is keeping track of those coaches available times slots? Who is going to communicate with them to round up the SMACK? Are they even on IRC to talk to?

Need to find a new way to get the SMACK scene up and running, the old ways are dead.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I always have been wondering why there aren't MTGO-ish FUMBBL-tournaments (possibly due to admin effort and lack of necessary client features).

Such tournaments would trigger at a certain time (probably at the weekend, at the beginning of Europe and US peak times), feature overall time limits for both players (45 minutes for each player, for instance, afterwards 1 minute turns or so) and would be started and finished in a time frame known in advance.

This would basically resemble how RL-tabletop tournaments are run. Depending on demand I could even imagine some kind of Major-like event with a final top 8 (though is doubtable there'll be enough interest).

I am fully aware that this would require considerable effort with regard to both client programming as well as tournament administration though.

While writing this post, I've begun wondering why there never have been any MTGOish Majors on FUMBBL (Swiss format with a number of rounds depending on the number of entries and a subsequent top 8 play-off tournament (this would probably require more considerable changes though - such as allowing players to drop after a Swiss round has been finished as well as intentional draws - not to mention coding a Swiss format with drop-outs).
 Jump to: