23 coaches online • Server time: 05:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Today I played with a great TV gap, and I've found that having to buy Special Play cards BEFORE the other inducements is annoying.
If possible I suggest to allow purchase of cards in the inducements screen (i.e. the screen with the boxes to tick for wandering apothecaries, babes, star players, mercenaries etc.) because this helps a lot to use as much as possible the inducements gold, especially because the cards are not the first thing you want to buy when having a lot of gold (Wizard, babes, apothecaries are priority, then mercenaries and maybe a Star Player).
The cards are cheap so they are ideal to spend the few remaining gold after the most important inducements have been bought.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

that's how the rules work, no?

From the CRP rulespack, p.32.

'If a league uses both the special play cards and the inducement system ... coaches should be allowed to Purchase special play cards and see what card(s) they draw before purchasing other inducements.'

Last edited by pythrr on %b %09, %2014 - %18:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

The rulebook doesn't state that cards must be bought before the other inducements.
If the cards are allowed in a league, they are just like any other inducement (babe, Wizard, Wandering Apothecary etc.).

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %09, %2014 - %18:%Dec; edited 2 times in total
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

yes, yes it does -- see quote from CRP above.

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not that clear. The wording of the rule is that coaches "should be allowed" to purchase and see cards before other inducements. Not "must".

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

The rule says that you can see your cards before buying any other inducements, it doesn't say that the cards must be bought before any other inducements.
I could buy other inducements at the start of the game and buying cards as last inducements.
Actually this is better because I could buy more cards with the remaining gold until I get a good card.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

should, must... the rules suggest that this is the sequence to be followed, so in the absence of any other suggestion of sequence, why wouldn't the client designers follow this rule? occam's razor.

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

read the rules

Last edited by pythrr on %b %09, %2014 - %18:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

"Should be allowed" doesn't suggest a sequence. It includes both.

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr, stop being wrong! It make me sad Sad

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

hahahaa

i just quoted the section from the CRP rules. I'll leave you all to argue over the meaning of them. Good luck reading the minds of those who wrote them.

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I brought this up in a different thread the other week without the rules to hand. Not massively into rules lawyering, so I'll leave that to others, but I'd like it the other way around.

Not a big deal, mind. Wink
Smeat

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
should, must... so in the absence of any other suggestion of sequence, why wouldn't the client designers follow this rule?

This IS the "other sequence".

Without this clarification, the default would be to buy everything at once - which means buying cards and everything else simultaneously - no chance to look at the cards you bought before buying anything else.

Also, practically speaking, it means that you have to have everything planned in advance, all the math, which in turn requires knowing the costs of all Stars you might hire - and that's a lot to memorize for a casual game.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
tmoila

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the wording is suited for table top game, because basically at least TT league I played it usually went more or less like:
"Yeah I buy babes for 100k of course... then bribe for sure... maybe one good karma card there... oh I have 120k left let's buy merc hobgoblin with DP to go along with!"

Meaning that it really doesn't matter. And I would love to see all the inducements in same screen as the dynamically updating inducement money is nice to have and helps you to try different combinations of inducements.

Post   Posted: Dec 09, 2014 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

math is hard. we should all give up...

and your a priori assumption that the default sequence should be "everything at once" is patently ludicrous. Everything in pre- and post- game is done in a sequence. and this rule, on p28, outlines the place in the pre-game sequence for the purchasing of cards. I'm really not sure what is so hard to understand here.

i agree that it would be nice to have it the other way around - as goo says. but the rules suggest (as quoted above) that there is an established sequence in CRP, so I assume that this is what Kalimar and the others followed when adding cards to the client.

now go argue with them, not the person who is simply being the messenger and quoting the rule book.

Jump to: