36 coaches online • Server time: 16:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post My 1st Blackbox tour...goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Sidestep or Stand Firm for Slann?
Side Step
44%
 44%  [ 11 ]
Stand Firm
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 25

C3I2

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Side Step or Stand Firm for Slann? Do give a reason.
Merrick18818

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Side Step. For getting out of the way of the nasty men who want to squish you.
wintergreen13

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 02:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Though it probably depends on what player (and I'm assuming you are asking about blodging Blitzers), I would almost always choose Side Step. I like the idea of repositioning into an even more advantageous place more than simply staying still. However, if you are going to be in a lot of risky sideline situations, maybe Stand Firm is more your cup of tea. Both skills are fantastic, neither would be a "wrong" choice.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 02:21 Reply with quote Back to top

You're talking on a normal roll for a Blitzer, to maximize the effectiveness of their DT?

There are exceptions, but Stand Firm, no doubt.

Why? B/c it's not hard to get a couple extra players in place to force SS away from the target, while without Juggernaut AND a Blitz SF isn't going anywhere.

(Blodge them first, natch. AV 8 is not bullet-proof, not by a looong way.)

The exceptions?

Well, a (dedicated) ballcarrier, obviously.

Possibly for a Guard - some coaches like Blodgestep Guards more than SF Guards. SF stays where you put it, but SS discourages blocks lest they move somewhere the blocker doesn't want (like in front of/marking a player who needs to move).

But unlike DElfs, who classically use Blodgestep Guards, SS isn't needed to get into a Cage - 3+ Leap does that nicely.

And (again, possibly) for a POMBER - the threat to move the player into a better position is a serious consideration before blitzing them, and you want to discourage that. Otoh, if you have your target marked (w/ POMB + DT), you don't want to get pushed away. Dealer's choice.

If you're talking doubles (for a Catcher or Lino), there are better choices. Catchers want Guard or Pass, and get SS on normals, so that, and you pro'ly want Guard (then Dodge?) on a Lino before SF or SS.

TheThinkTank wrote:

T3 - this makes no sense. If you can be blocked/blitzed, neither matters, nor does either help w/ Piling On. The squish happens or it doesn't, SS doesn't stop anything.

SS ~can~ discourage a Block, esp Frenzy (ss'ing toward defensive assists if the first block is only a Push), and it can keep you out of trouble vs. multiple blocks - but for every good SS example there's a good SF example there.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

maybe try a couple of each. I alway wanted a Block, Dodge, Guard Sidestep Slann Blitzer, but they die after 3rd skill a lot. I also think the same build but with Standfirm could be good. The cool thing about Slann is that there aren't generic builds. Everyone has a differing opinion on it, and it comes down to how you play your Slann.

Jeffro
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 02:47 Reply with quote Back to top

To give a reason is that the DT players hurt options for most teams. SS gives an opportunity to put yourself into a better position after being hit, but can be thwarted by an opponents player placement. Stand firm for a Slann Blitzer is good, but become situational. I believe SS is better for Slann.

For catchers, SS is great because it gives a OTS option. Yes a hard one, but it is more doable with Slann than any others. Thats only my opinion though. Smile

Jeffro
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 02:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeathead wrote:

TheThinkTank wrote:

T3 - this makes no sense. If you can be blocked/blitzed, neither matters, nor does either help w/ Piling On. The squish happens or it doesn't, SS doesn't stop anything.

Well... in some situations it can make sense. On the LOS a SS'er could potentially only get hit twice: one on the line and the blitz. Whereas a SF'er could get hit four times. Very situational, but it does have a precedence. I put SS on the line for that reason. Granted I'm not *very* good, but I'm no slouching mouthbreather Wink

I like sidesteppers for high movement teams to accentuate their advantage over slower opponents. I like SF for slower squads that can't afford the movement to be thrown off track in their positioning.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 03:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Standfirm. Can't be positioned away like SS can.
nufflehatesme

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

side step. think you gotta minimise blocks as slann
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 04:18 Reply with quote Back to top

nufflehatesme wrote:
side step. think you gotta minimise blocks as slann

God yes. Uhg, A thousand times this.
Relezite

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 04:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I think side step might be better than stand firm on average, however I would want 1 SF blodge blitzer to lock up critical DT marks, and if I got +ST, I would always go for SF
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 06:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with Smeat, Mrt and Relezite.

SS is the better skill but in the case I think I'm leaning slightly towards SF, conditional on what the dev part is. But generally I am probably more interested in the passive effect to maintain position rather than gain position. Slann don't tend to be in need to find a way to get anywhere.

If the player has enough protection (is blodged up) i rather want to deflect dmg onto him than keep him out of harms way. I also see a great synergy to guard with that.

If I'm only half way committed and don't blodge him up, I'd probably prefer SS because I can choose at times to remove him from trouble or put him right in somebodies face even after he got knocked down.
bigGuy

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 09:01 Reply with quote Back to top

SF if only one player (maybe 2) will have this skill, SS if multiple players.

Reasoning:
SF/ SS are most often used to mark ball, or to stop cage movement.
Single SF player can do this job (you have to knock him down). Blocking/Blitzing SF player is risk-free. Single SS player cannot do it, because in most cases he will be forced to sidestep away from BC. However, when multiple SS players mark ball carrier/cage, blocking/blitzing Sidestepers becomes very dangerous, because every "not succesful" block makes situation worse.
C3I2

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 09:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like 5/5 atm. I'm leaning towards SF for the blitzers, with a build of Block, Dodge, Guard, Stand Firm. This combines with both jump-up and guard (as does side step). The 4-th and last blitzer were supposed to be a hitter, but in my first and only Slann team so far he rolled st+, so there is some role changes to do, as I want st+ on a man marker.

The obvious problem with the build above is that the superstar choice is tackle OR mighty blow, by the way.
Leilond

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2015 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

ONE slan blitzer with stand firm is a must (after block and dodge), it's the best man marker. Side step is GREAT, but if you're using the blitzer to mark the ball carrier in the corner of the cage after a succesfull blitz, reposition with sidestep usually mean put him near another player and recive another block. Stand firm, usually mean that the opponent blitz you and if it fail, your blitzer stay there and no other blocks to him.

I don't know if I'll build this as first blitzer... probably I will start a bldge/tackle/MB first and a blodge/sidestep second (so, it's a loooong way till the stand firm one)

But I think that you also think that the blodge/stand firm can be a priority... it depends on your game style and where to play it. In [B] it's not a big issue to "lose a player", because your TV go down and you'll meet weaker opponents, thus you can "risk" the stand firm blodger immediately
In scheduled [L] I will play a bit more conservative, building first the sidestep and tackle one
 Jump to: