62 coaches online • Server time: 20:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think of Coach Ratings
Just a number of useless meaning ???
8%
 8%  [ 7 ]
Just an Ego Issue for some Coaches ???
62%
 62%  [ 49 ]
Just causes more Cherrypicking ???
29%
 29%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 79

MightyQuinn

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 04:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I recently competed in my 4th NAF tournament and was asking others about the NAF coach rating which doesn't seem to be accurate because every tournament runs by different rules... Now in NAF, each coach has a rating for each race they place, unlike FUMBBL which is an overall coach rating...

Now I was looking at people's info and noticed that some people who have coach ratings over 160, one had a winning percentage of 47% and one coach over 165 was only at 51%... I saw a person over 170, he had 68%... I am a coach of 152 rating but have a 61%... I know that the w/t/l % includes every division, I just thought it was odd that higher rated coaches, especially over 160 were barely over 50%...

I kind of wish if there was a rating, it would just be of the teams/coaches that played in tournaments, which mean a bit more then normal games...
ChrisB

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 04:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Divisions like stunty can really mess with your win %..... so thats not a good indicator either... A % by race and % by division would be interesting...

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 04:53 Reply with quote Back to top

What do you think of silly polls?

[ ] Just a poll of useless meaning ??
[ ] Just an ego issue for some poster ??
[ ] Just causing more polls ??

Very Happy
Mossbeard

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 05:01 Reply with quote Back to top

My cr is 160ish and my win percentage is 47%.
When i first started i played very poorly, I have now improved somewhat.
My cr rose fairly quickly when i beat a few high cr coaches, but my win percentage only rises very slowly.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

A matter of taste. The coach ratings are a kind of fluff for [R]. CR can be an aim for meta gaming, where not the single casual match counts but the whole lot of matches to whip the CR forwards.

Thomcat

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

What this page need of statistics is: a statistic for CR in ranked - just like the R teams have it. Under a team you can see if they have played up or down in tr and ts. This option would show clearly who is cherrypicking Smile

Because the are way for an average coach to become 17X+ CR - just by playing new norse, dwarf and amazon teams - and then retire them after 4-7 games. They even get the bonus of it mostly being newcommers that will play them hehe
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 13:10
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Thomcat: I am amazed you cant see it yourself.

You say you wish to monitor cherrypicking with a stat to measure +/-tr and str in brackets after the CR. But then you point out the idiocy of your own suggestion. You're right a key cherrypicking method is to play Norse/Dwarf at low TR againt newer players. I could do this constantly, always playign up TR and STR by 5-10 points and still expect to win more or less every game.

So yuor idea is worthless, as it would show me as not cherrypicking by your standards, when i have done nothing else.

I also agree with avatar, polls are useless in the hands of people with obvious agendas/no experience in poll design.

Is this poll:
( ) Designed to reassure MightyQ that he is a better player than his CR shows.
( ) Solely here to increase his post count
( ) Just a load of old nonsense where all the options are the same
Alibaba

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

You didnt say is your % so high cos you only play down. Then your cr is low and % is high.. Just a tought.. Too lazy to check if that is really the case. I think CR brings lot of bad, but it tells something about the coach too.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

MightyQ wrote:
I kind of wish if there was a rating, it would just be of the teams/coaches that played in tournaments, which mean a bit more then normal games...

i think the point he is trying to make is that CR would be better used in official tournies, where it would have a definite meaning, keep your win% for your ego, use CR for fumbbl cups etc, one happens every 3 months and hundreds of coaches play, so if you win a fumbbl cup, you get a high CR and you know its good, and nobody can say a sibgle word against it!
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

or even move CR to your coach info page, somewhere beside championship standing etc, and have a new "CR" that shows on your main page that shows your "official major tourney CR" which would include all the Fumbbl Cup qualifiers etc
OverDose

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

MightyQ wrote:
Now I was looking at people's info and noticed that some people who have coach ratings over 160, one had a winning percentage of 47% and one coach over 165 was only at 51%... I saw a person over 170, he had 68%... I am a coach of 152 rating but have a 61%... I know that the w/t/l % includes every division, I just thought it was odd that higher rated coaches, especially over 160 were barely over 50%...
Maybe you're a cherrypicker. Or maybe those +160 CR coaches have had a good run lately. Winning percentage isn't everything.

edit. btw this poll only had stupid options.
Pmg

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

This is probably the worst poll ever....
koadah

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

brownrob wrote:
or even move CR to your coach info page, somewhere beside championship standing etc, and have a new "CR" that shows on your main page that shows your "official major tourney CR" which would include all the Fumbbl Cup qualifiers etc

Nah. Leave CR where it is.
CR is not perfect but it adds a little spice to one off games against coaches that you have never heard of before.

A lot of coaches never play officail tournaments so basing a CR only on that is not much use on it's own.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

pmg et all, perhaps its a joke poll... dont use any opportunity to flame once CR come up, he made a suggestion about CR only counting in fumbbl tournies, which i like, and i added to it above (note where i quoted him)

hinting he may be a cherrypicker by thinking it could be altered is silly, as is pointing oout the poll options are bad, you know they dont mean anything, so do I, and i bet mightyQ does as well! Polls are a good way to attract people to your topic.

Why cant we stay on topic for a change, would you like mightyq coming in and trying to derail your topic on the first page?

honestly guys... you would think he is insulting your mother Wink
Laviak

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

One reason for this is that some coaches like to play "tough" games - if you play a lot of games against other coaches with a high CR, you don't have to have a 50% win rating in order to increase your CR. (in a "tough" matchup, a win might increase your CR by 1.5 points, a draw increase it by 0.5, and a loss decrease it by only 0.5).

Other coaches (like myself) play the vast majority of games in other divisions (most of mine are in [U]).

Jump to: