38 coaches online • Server time: 15:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Adar

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2006 - 02:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I am feeling quite crazy right now. I am one of the volunteers who is working to arrange the yearly Swedish youth science fair. It's the only science fair here in Sweden and funds have been quite scarce this year which means we have trouble getting money to give prizes that allows people to go to other nations science fairs. One of the absolutely best ones is LIYSF (London International Youth Science Fair), it's quite expensive but truely awesome. We have generally sent three person there. This year did however the main sponsor pull out which means that we only could send one student.

The man who is the chief of the forum (who is the absolutely the most competent person I've corresponded with) did however give us a special deal where we could send two students for 1 400£ rather than one for 1 150£ since we have been sending students since the beginning of LIYSF and our students always has been doing well there. The problem is that we're really short on funds. Therefor I made an instant decision and decided to be willing to donate 250£ to fund the scholarship. I must say that I've never felt this good about spending money, it feels weird since the best I can get out of it is my name on a metal plate but somehow I just can't pass up such a great opportunity to send another student to such a great fair.

Thanks, I just needed to get that off my chest.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2006 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice one dude, the only question I have is: If it costs 150 for one student, why is it more than double that for two?

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2006 - 03:13 Reply with quote Back to top

1400 for two, and 1150 for one, not 400 and 150 respectively as I think you may have read.
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2006 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Get a tax receipt. The only thing better than the feeling of donating to charity is the feeling of not giving money to the Gov't Very Happy
Adar

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2006 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Symmetrical wrote:
Nice one dude, the only question I have is: If it costs 150 for one student, why is it more than double that for two?

It is 1 150£ for one and 1 400£ for two. Basicly he gave us an incredibly good deal becuase he knew we were in trouble.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2006 - 09:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Sadly, it seems Swedish sponsors have been pulling out for more than three years in a row now... No wonder young scientists have to look over our country's borders to find work, our generation hasn't heard of any Swedish companies! Not really spot on topic but still. Hope UF works out, Taff (if my presumptions are right), and yeah, don't forget to mention it in your tax declaration!
Angie

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2006 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

if the cost is £150 for 1 student then £400 for 2 is a stinger, as for £50 more you could in actual fact send 3, unless of course the £150 for 1 is subsidized and tha actual cost for 1 should be £200, I would be checking... But hey thats me.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2006 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

it's easy to miss those leading 1's Razz

Drud

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2006 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

It should be kinda hard to miss them in 3 posts though...
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2006 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

You need a comma in there to avoid confusing us Brits Smile

£1,400

Jump to: