46 coaches online • Server time: 20:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Glomp

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

*sigh*

The attacking player never gets to complete the block.

Since a player in in the opposing endzone has the ball the turn ends and the block can't be thrown. Nothing AT ALL can happen after a player has scored
(whoever claimed the opposite above is wrong).

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Corporate Slave is right.
Because in the TD-section it´s witten, that a TD is scored, when a player ends an action and there is a player holding the ball standing in the endzone.
Thus the block has to be completed and the player might move on with his blitz-action and then at the end of his action, the TD is scored.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Another vote for CS3 and another beat-down for pustus. Razz

The blitzer/blocker finishes their action - including all pushbacks and what not - and then, if there's a player with the ball in the appropriate endzone, a TD is scored.

I think this was also confirmed by Galak (that whacky BBRC guy) a while back on TBB but I'm too lazy to dig up the link.

Post 3 Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Aye, maybe in the LRB...
But you should have noticed that in JavaBBOWL as soon as you've got a player standing in end zone with the ball the turn ends, wether you've said you finished moving him or not.

Si I'd say the block is not carried, and turn ends as soon as the ball is caught in the end zone.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

You should have noticed, that JaveBBowl is not the ultimate truth regarding rules-questions Wink
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

More complicated, what if the blocking player has ball and chain, can he then continue his movement and block the new man with the ball off the pitch, before the touch down is scored,

Or what if the result of the block is a pushback, and you can chain push the player in the endzone off the pitch (likely if the reason the first player had the ball was from a failed handoff, which scattered back to his square)
G_u_s

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

in that case, when you move a catcher in the endzone and throw the ball to him, it's not a TD either cause the catcher never ended his move standing with the ball in the endzone ?

that's a well-known loophole, and as inquisitorpustus said, the TD occurs immediately, ending all the actions.

the same applies when blitzing someone holding the ball and pushing him into the endzone: you never get to complete your move (spending your remaining MV points) because the TD occurs immediately and the play ends.

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

G_u_s wrote:
in that case, when you move a catcher in the endzone and throw the ball to him, it's not a TD either cause the catcher never ended his move standing with the ball in the endzone ?

that's a well-known loophole, and as inquisitorpustus said, the TD occurs immediately, ending all the actions.

the same applies when blitzing someone holding the ball and pushing him into the endzone: you never get to complete your move (spending your remaining MV points) because the TD occurs immediately and the play ends.

Well, technically since the thrower has to perform the pass at the end of his action, once the pass is resolved his action is over, and therefore there is a player standing in the End Zone with the ball after any player has ended his action

Ah, in all fairness to inquisitorpustus, this seems to have become a JavaBowl vs. LRB issue, and his argument holds for the client (I am supposing anyway, I've not tried it myself).

When the question 'what happens when I do 'x'' is asked, I tend to answer from the LRB, as I presume that the person asking has experienced this in the client, and wants to know if it handled it 'the right way' or not.

After all, if you're not asking what the 'official' rule is, why not just load up a stand alone game and try it out to see for yourself? Of course, there are some situations where this becomes tiresome...like when a handicap would be involved I suppose...
Buttercup

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Having had this issue happen in a fumbbl game, I can tell you to watch out as there are several (reported) bugs that occur in the client.

(1) The block/blitz never gets resolved
(2) if you're blitzing, the blitzer is "still blitzing" at the kickoff and therefore the kickingoff team loses its blitz
(3) the scoring team (who is supposed to lose a turn) doesn't lose a turn leading to interesting turns such as turn 4 versus turn 6.

So, if you do end up in this situation, remember to copy your saves and then redo the move by having the blitzing team end its turn and do a pass with the scoring team...

Buttercup
stargzrrag

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2004 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

There is this file called DifferencesFromBoardGameFAQ which says
"(9) LRB (2.0 - p16) states that players only score a touch down
when they end their action in the end zone. In the game you
score as soon as you enter the endzone (standing) with the ball."
So that covers the scoring when getting pushed through the EZ. I even tested it in the client. TD on push to EZ.

You could not (as someone suggested earlier) blitz the ball carrier and then change targets to the guy in the EZ. In order to use dump-off you have to be blocked. Blitzer blocks the ball carrier, ball carrier dumps the ball into the EZ. Pass and catch are resolved. TD if TD. The only question is whether or not the block goes through. TD's end the turn in the client. So no. I will test this in client soon, but I am willing to bet the TD ends the turn in client with no block resolution.

LRB on scoring on opponents turn (pg 16)
"SCORING IN THE OPPONENT’S TURN
In some rare cases a team will score a touchdown in the
opponent’s turn. For example, a player holding the ball
could be pushed into the End Zone by a block. If this
happens then the team scores a touchdown, but must
move their Turn marker one space along the Turn track
to represent the extra time the players spend celebrating
this unusual method of scoring!"

edit : well, previous poster says it all with first hand experience...
 Jump to: