41 coaches online • Server time: 00:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
madzit

Post   Posted: May 11, 2003 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all.

I'm new to the world of Java, and I was just wondering if there was anything I need to look out for when playing the game on a Mac. Does it work the same as a PC? (Not that that will help me, since I'm PC ignorant anyway).

Any helpful hints and tips would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Madzit
psikobunny

Post   Posted: May 11, 2003 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

everything will run fine, but some things to remember:

Look up[ and use the Mac specific hotkeys in the readme, they replace the Right-click available commands (even if you have a 2 button mouse)

Copying and pasting outside the game is as normal, but to paste a link for a teamname or an ip inside the JBB game, use ctrl+v instead of cmd+v
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: May 11, 2003 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

psikobunny wrote:
...Copying and pasting outside the game is as normal, but to paste a link for a teamname or an ip inside the JBB game, use ctrl+v instead of cmd+v

Cool. I did not realize that. I just typed the whole damn thing in every time...

Also, I have never had any problems running under 10.1.5 at work, but I did get occasional graphics glitches under 10.2.x until the Java update came out. If you're not sure if you have the updated version, try opening Terminal and type in the following (without quotes) "java -version".
You should get something like this:
Code:
java version "1.4.1_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-39)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-14, mixed mode)

If the first line says "1.3.1_05" or something like that, then try
downloading the new version from Apple. If you're running an earlier version of OS X, then you don't need (and can't install) that anyway.

Lastly, it's tough to get the HotKeys to work sometimes, as you need to get the cursor out of the chat box for them to work. Try Option-clicking on the box in the bottom left corner and that usually works. I do not know why, but it usually does.

Good luck. See you in chat.

Post   Posted: May 12, 2003 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

actually you don't need to use option, just clicking in the chat box to get rid of the cursor in your text entry window will take care of it.
Mirrur

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2004 - 05:15 Reply with quote Back to top

These are really usefull suggestions in this thread (read essential) and should be put up along with the hot keys (the clicking in the chat box part anyhow). I'm currently unable to play on my mac however because every now and then it "thinks" as in hangs with the little rainbow circle curser (likely graphics issues) but have the updated version of java so i'm not sure what to do. Anyone else having this issue or is it just me?
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2004 - 05:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, for starters, which OS are you running? Also, have you tried the .app version? It's in my .sig.

I just recently upgraded from 10.1 at work and 10.2 at home to Panther. Of the three versions, 10.2 (with the developer's preview of JRE 1.4.2) seemed the least stable to me. The .app version helps signficantly, I think. I don't have any hard data but I swear by it.

{ edit: Oh yeah. Right-click still doesn't work but all the commands are accessible by hitting Shift-A during your turn with the cursor out of the chat box as described above. Also the control/command thing was changed back in 6.something. Copying and Pasting works just like in the rest of your system now. )

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2004 - 07:18 Reply with quote Back to top

currently using OSX 10.3.3 on a 466MHz G4 with 128 SDRAM using java 1.4.2_03. I have not tried the .app and will do so. It seems odd that the more recent version seems the least stable but what can you do. Thanks very much for your time and effort. I may well be able to play BB on the mac yet.
totohero2003

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2004 - 08:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm using 10.3.3 on a 700MHz G4 256 ram and it runs very fine i can even play using the "play" button link on the overview page of fumbbl. I've had some problems using the 7.6 version of javabowl (it took loooooooooooooooooooong time between each action) but since 7.8 everything runs cool. Anyway i dont use hot keys yet.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2004 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I played my first game at work since upgrading the other day. G4 450 with 896MB ram and OS 10.3.4. Nary a problem. My home machine doesn't have a problem with 512MB RAM either - of course it's a smokin' 1GHz dual. I am using background gifs instead of icons, which will make a negligible difference. No hanging, no pinwheel of doom.

Regarding 10.2, I think it was actually my developer preview of a newer JRE that screwed me up. It wasn't bad, just a little less stable than at work. I also have a lot of crap installed here at home, so it could really have been any number of things.

One other small tip... I used to play at work sometimes while working in Classic (which I left running all the time because of work). If I remember correctly, that caused me some problems. I have since learned to love Free Classic Dockling and I only start up classic when I have to. Much better.

Your ram is kinda low, Mirrur, so that may cause you some issues but for the most part, it shouldn't be any slower than most small apps you're using. Just remember that OS X loves lots of room. I'd beg/borrow/steal a 512 dimm to throw in there, personally.

I'll give things a shot on my wife's old, craptacular laptop (G3 250 w/ 256 MB and OS 10.2) and see what I can find out for performance tips.

{ edit: I just played a few turns of standalone on the aforementioned craptacular powerbook. No hanging or pinwheels until the very end of the game... when I closed the window and said, "Yes, I really want to quit, thankyouverymuch." it would then hang... odd... maybe an auto-upload issue, I'm not sure. Either way, a G3-250/256 handled it well enough... try switching to my glorious .app version... link's in the .sig. }

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2004 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I just bought a new powermac the other day after years of using windows and various UNIX's. I've run javabbowl on windows, linux, freebsd, and solaris, and figured I'd try the "OSX" .app version. I just have a few questions...

Why does the OSX version not come with the "standard-sized" player icons that the full version has? It has the "small-sized" player icons, but the standard-sized don't appear to be anywhere...

Also, I'm quite familiar with using the standard Blood Bowl field as my backdrop, and find the metal fields to be kind of ugly. Is there a reason for these fields to be the default fields for the standard sized game?

Finally, I've encountered many instances where the application doesn't close fully when I quit the program, and I have to "Force Quit" the application. Is this standard?

Thanks.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2004 - 03:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Tribble_the_Unclean wrote:
...Why does the OSX version not come with the "standard-sized" player icons that the full version has? It has the "small-sized" player icons, but the standard-sized don't appear to be anywhere...

Hrm... to be honest, I don't actually use the icons myself. I find them too confusing and busy. As such, I just threw the Universal FUMBBL Pack in the FULL version. It could either be that it's picking up the smallicons because I did something foolish or it could be a resolution issue with 10.3 - I noticed my action buttons were suddenly magically smaller since upgrading as well.

Short answer: No clue yet. I'll look into it.

Is there a reason for these fields to be the default fields for the standard sized game?

Yeah, they really are ugly. The reason for the Metal being default is threefold.
1. I made them and it's my mirror. Smile
2. It is the only map I know of that supports weather on both the large and small field sizes. There was a while when a lot of people were noting that their iMacs were using the small field and they didn't get a field showing up when the weather was anything but nice. They could fix it by changing options, but I figured it would be nice to support it from the start.
3. There is no number 3.

Finally, I've encountered many instances where the application doesn't close fully when I quit the program, and I have to "Force Quit" the application. Is this standard?

I just ran across this for the first time myself on my wife's machine with a fresh installation. I'm guessing it's something with the auto-upload but I don't know anything further yet.

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2004 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Allright, cool. Thanks a ton for the answers, Mojo. Smile
LordRummickIV

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2004 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I have an emac 700, with 640 mb ram.

When i access to the menu in the javabbowl, i can choose view left/right team roster. If i do this, the program quits.

This happens only to me Smile , or it's standard?

thanks for the work, BadMrMojo
Mirrur

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2004 - 03:41 Reply with quote Back to top

did ya ever figure out whats up with the auto upload on the mac client? I ALWAYS have to upload manually and force quit. Which is okay i guess but after the first game it seems to take forever for the results to get zipped up and people um... well they bitch and moan. Which.. is also okay sometimes, but not everyone is a jerk when we play. Smile
 Jump to: