43 coaches online • Server time: 19:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
public_Bob

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I made a necro team a while ago and have played about 20 games with it. This is the team: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=65479 I don't think they are too bad but sadly i am losing heaps of games with them.

Someone that has played well with necro give me some tips and tactics, i need help!

cheers
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you ever really use all 16 players? Then why keep them? Dropping a few will lower your TR/TS and therefore lead to easier matchups. In the same vein, I'd lose the 2 coaches as well. Micro-managing TR might not be for everyone, but it does lead to a better win-loss ratio.

The players look good. Decent SPP spread. I'd focus on a few and pray for touchbacks. Try to give that ST4 ghoul a few TDs to get him block and he's an ugly one. The wights are in good shape. The ghouls could do with a points. The Golems could use a few TDs (hence the prayers for touchbacks) and I'd try to set Mongo up for as many good blocks as you can to get him that second skill. The one absolutely tragic mistake in skills? You need kick! Always get kick!

Basically try to get those guys who are close skilled up rather than your good WW and wights. Once the newer wolf gets another skill, you might want to consider replacing the niggled one. It hurts but it will be good in the long term and they get block pretty quickly, usually.

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

well actually i don't have 16 players, just odd numbers. But yeah i have lost the coaches, didn't even notice them, cheers for that. What's with kick? i always thought it was a pretty stinky skill, it still scatters d3 +1 bounce, which is a long way, and if you don't wanna give away touchbacks you can't put it too far from the centre... how do you use it?
Mezir

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
The Golems could use a few TDs (hence the prayers for touchbacks).

Golems need touch-backs to score? They've got AG 2, with a re-roll they'll catch it 3/4 times, safe enough if you've got control of the pitch and have the ball in a cage (otherwise don't try it).

Replace the niggled Werewolf ASAP, get a zombie with Dirty Player, try not to score with the werewolfs unless your hand is forced (or unless you need to get them Block). The wights look great, the ghouls are spiffy (get that ST 4 Block quickly).

Um... What else? Not too sure really, watch some replays of other Necromantic teams playing (I have one at around the same TR, but I'm not sure if it's representative since I've been lucky on the cas). Use Frenzy to get players off the pitch (side-lining), try and hurt fragile players with that Claw, use the golems to try and cage your way upfield always keeping the wolves available to run off for a quick score if the pressure gets too high. Easy to say less easy to put into action. Smile

On defence use the zombies as line-fodder, throw the golems in as soon as your opponent tries to cage - don't put them on the LoS that will only make them hit the floor, and your opponent can then pin them down where he wants them. The ghouls and the werewolves make great flankers with MA 7 and MA 8 and can put pressure on the ball-carrier wherever he is.

Did I mention watch some replays for successful Necromantic teams and try to emulate what they do? Seeing things probably works a lot better than reading things.

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 19:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Re: Touchbacks... I'm just overly cautious, I guess. After playing so many poncy elves, AG2 scares me enormously. Razz

Re: Kick... I almost always drop the ball 3 spaces in from the sideline and 3 spaces over from either the back of the endzone or the LoS. Odds are pretty good that it'll stay in bounds. If someone (another undead team with all that AG2, for example) has a good chance of dropping a close kick I'll put it near the LoS and hope I can snag a loose ball. Otherwise I'd generally kick deep into a corner and use those 2 WWs and that 4 ST ghoul to go after the ball carrier before the opponent can get up a solid screen or cage with the guys on the line. Works best against bashy teams. Also nice to stop those bloody orcs from TTMing to end the half and put your backfield chasers (the weres and the ghouls) into position to capitalize on a blitz or lucky turnover.

{ edit: look below and note AFK-Eagle's points on kick. Once I got past the part about 3 spaces I was pretty much talking out of my arse because I just pick based upon setup each time and that didn't sound helpful. He explains it a little better. Also, kicking near the LoS is great against elf-y teams which are low on players since they can't (easily) just hide in the backfield to protect the ballcarrier. }

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %25, %2004 - %20:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2004 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Re: Kick...I place the ball in the same position, but opposite. He places the ball shallow for bashy teams, hoping he can pick up loose balls following failed pickups, and then kicks deep vs agile teams. I do the opposite, kicking shallow vs agile teams and deep vs bashy. Why? The hope for the blitz on kickoff results. Vs an agility team I can usually beat my way through his line a couple rows, enough to get to where the ball will land, and then be strong enough to fend off his sudden retrieval attempts. (Against strip ball wardancers, though, I kick deep and use the blitz instead to do some beating down on the los.) I prefer the chance of maybe getting the ball on a blitz over the potential troubles he'll encounter from me kicking deep. Let's face it, most agility teams are also fast enough to recover the ball from deep and get it up to the front same turn anyway with a good pass, or just sit back there and then throw over your heads to whichever receiver is left the most open, out of your reach. So what if you kick shallow and it's not a blitz--not like things will change much, other than potentially bringing the ball handler within your reach instead of sitting way back beyond you.

Vs bashy teams, I'll kick deep, counting on the low agi to have failed pickups as well, but not so much for me to get the ball as to stall his drive. It then only takes me getting one or two guys into his backfield to threaten his ball-picker-upper, and it'll throw off his gameplan for being nervous of a second failed pickup. He'll take potential downfield blockers off the line to pull back to protect vs my two deep, leaving me at an advantage to gang up on his guys remaining on my side of the pitch. Worst case scenario, he takes down my two guys deep, his ballboy picks up to advance, and I still have the numbers up front (at least for one more turn). Best case, he fails another roll and I'm in position to not just scoop up the ball, but potentially score that same turn.

Now, I'm not one of the better coaches on fumbbl--I'm barely a .500 coach (once you take out the mad losing streaks from my early days learning the basics of the game), so take my words with a grain of salt. But it works for me... (my losses come more from mistakes in other parts of my game usually...)

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2004 - 07:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm just starting out with Necroes myself but what I find to be effective is to use Zombies like George Romero does -- absolutely swamp the other team with them. You basically want to have everyone on the other team in a Zombie tackle zone. Just because. Obviously if you want to form a cage or something don't do this; but the only real advantages to Zombies is that they contribute an extra tackle zone and can make blocks. By swamping your opponent with them you force him to make rolls to deal with them which can cause the odd unlucky turnover. Since they're useless otherwise you can sleep well at night just standing prone ones up for an entire action -- there's not really anything else they can do. (This was a revelation for me, at least, as playing Elves most of the time I had to really be careful who I stood up in case I wanted to use them later.)

If you aren't already, keep your Wolves protected and if they aren't carrying the ball, away from the scrimmage. Don't be overly active with them if you want to score with them. I used to waste Witch Elves in brawls when I could have been scoring touchdowns with them -- I look at Wolves the same way. Block conservatively.

Kick in general is a useful skill as the effects, while not necessarily very major, are felt consistently. When compared to giving a Zombie Block ask yourself which makes more difference: saving yourself from going down once in a while or constantly moving your opponent's cage back 3 squares.

And from my limited experience Golems are really good at cage-breaking.

As far as scoring goes, I'd just hide your Wolves until you find an obvious gap and then make a mad dash for the endzone. If you've got that Ghoul, though, running with him would probably be a better option. Stick a couple other players around him to get rid of opposing assists.

That's about all I can think of for now. Good luck!
 Jump to: