23 coaches online • Server time: 01:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BIGnDUMB

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2003 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, I'm new to this game and forum, so I don't know if this has been mentioned before.
I have a suggestion for a feature for the IRC bot.
If you type:
"bb match [-ladder] <team/strength>"
It would do a search in all the teams searching for matches in the last 10 minutes and list the ones matching your team +/- 10-20 str.
It could also happen automatic when you type:
"bb lfg", it could then respond in notice to you:
"Opponent suggestions:
1: <Coach>: [<ladder>] <team> <TR>/<STR> (avg. cas/match)
2: <Coach>: [<ladder>] <team> <TR>/<STR> (avg. cas/match)"

Perhaps 5 matches ordered by time, closest match in str and closest match in TR(might even be creation date if possible).

Please tell me what you think Shocked
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2003 - 01:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Not a viable idea, since the servers don't track games in progress, and not everyone in irc is constantly looking for a game. Sometimes we actually go there for the company? go figure. Not everyone wants to play with all their teams all the time.
tgrozow

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2003 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

The server doesn't need to track games in progress, it just needs to track when people type bb lfg in the IRC channel. I am assuming it doesn't but that's why this is in the new ideas forum. I actually think it's a nice idea.
Azurus

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2003 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm.I don't think this is really nescessary for the main part.

It might be nice to have a division where the bowlbot chooses matches for you though, working on the same ideas you mentioned.

You type in bb lfg -? (whatever it's called) and the bowlbot puts you onto a list. When somebody bblfg's a team of similar str, bowlbot messages you with a proxy name, and tells you if you are server/client, but doesn't tell you who or what you are playing against, so you find out when you get there.

Could be a nice challenge, and it would provide a division where people couldn't avoid playing teams they are weak against.

Obviously the bb lfg [division] command would have to apear only on the screen of the person who typed it, to avoid people knowing who's in the queue ahead of them.

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2003 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

You'd also have to have a bb ' un-lfg' command to turn them off of course Very Happy
Sephiroth

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2003 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

You know, if you type something in a chat... it will always appear to the others. Smile

Nice idea but with flaws... you will quickly notice very much bashy teams in that division with all the skills that make finding an opponent difficult under normal circumstances.

But tuning the bot is a great idea.
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2003 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

The way Bowlbot's commands work currently it queries the fumbbl database. It doesn't track who's typing bb lfg or anything else.

My objections are technical, but also social. I mainly don't want bowlbot picking my matches for me, thats what tourneys are for, and if i can't expend enough attention to watch for a decent match then that's my tough luck.

Things Bowlbot would have to learn to make this work:
Keep track of who was lfg
, also what teams they want to use
Keep track of what teams were ingame
Match tr/st
Factor in who had played who last

Also bb has no idea who i like to play and don't like to play.
The last thing I want to hear when I say 'no thank you' is 'but bowlbot SAID...'
Jahira

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2003 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Then don't join that ladder Very Happy if you don't like it.. and it it was meant as a you have to join in before it shows... so you can be social all you like and never worry about a couple of msg asking for games...
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2003 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

It just seems like a lot of useless bot overhead, when people already have trouble with the nuances of bb lfg and can't be bothered to pay attention to what other people are putting out for teams.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2003 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

you can pretty much assume this isn't going to happen
BIGnDUMB

Post   Posted: Jul 27, 2003 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Making it into a division itself could also be a nice idea, but I didn't mean to go that far with my post.
What I was missing was a way to see who searched for a match just before i got into the channel and if it would sort the teams by strength it would also help to find the right opponent in general.
Who you decide to play against is all up to you.

If hooked up to a database this is not a very hard thing to do.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Jul 27, 2003 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

See, as has been mentioned, we have no idea when a game starts, only when it is finished and reported. This means that the while we can tell who gave the command to look for a game recently, we can't tell which of those people have already found games, and most people find a game within a minute or so of asking, so the majority of people on the bots list would be out of date the majority of the time.

The Finishing Touch
 Jump to: