21 coaches online • Server time: 05:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Squaq

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont consider myself any more lucky than the average. Luck goes both ways. Actually i have had a strike of bad games where all creative ideas where ruined due to bad dice rolls. No complains thats the game...

... but on the otherhand just had a couple of games where nuffle looked my way and the opponent start complaining.
Last game my opponent insinuated that i without doubt used a cheatcode!

Why is it that i can't enjoy my lucky moment?
DonKosak

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

If my opponent complains about my luck and insinuates that I cheat, I just ignore him and enjoy my luck even more... Nothing more satisfying than beating a whiner to pulp (on the pitch of course... Laughing )
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed Squaq. I can't think of a more ugly label to throw around. I was in channel when you were accused and it was indeed shameful. But don't let a few bad sports ruin your fun. Smile and know that Nuffle is capricious at best and others would do well to learn it.
Community, my fellow players and friends, should be uppermost..and this sort of slander should NOT be tolerated! So think long and hard about when YOU were on the good side of the dice and allow others their moments!

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Last opponent threaded me that he would leave - ok thats just immature. But really i play for fun and dont wanna get stuck in a lame case about an abandoned game. So I shut up and played my turns faster because i wouldnt wanna provoke him more.

But again why is it that i dont get to enjoy my moments.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

When I was very new here I thought that one of my opponents was using a cheat code for the dice. I when at the IRC channel and there people explained to me that this is impossible. Then I had those great dice games myself.
I also learned that the more dice rolls you make the more bad rolls you will get.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Good coaches seems to be soo lucky... Hard to accept beeing unlucky when you consider yourself a good coach.

(Ok - not a strickt logic argument... Smile )
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I think when your lucks at a real low point you may feel your being cheated , a good way to check is too look over your shoulder and see if your opponent is in your room , because the client would give a version mismatch error of sub description unless your opponent has changed your jbb settings .

The real issue is the name calling and threating to leave the game , threating to leave the game because you are losing should in my opion get you banned
HickoryDuff

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had games where my luck would be terrible (7 - 0 lost against Woodies) and where my luck would be phenomenal (3 casualties in a row, I was playing HE).

Nuffle is fickle, thats the best you could say. I get angry too when nothing works, but I rarely express it through the chat channel.
Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I curse my luck, I curse my dice, I curse Nuffle, and I curse my players, but I never take it across the board to my opponent. That's lame.

I have a hard time understanding why people think it's lucky when I'm doing well and simply good coaching when they are? And the opposite is true too, When I'm doing poorly, I imagine they think I suck as a coach, but when they do poorly Nuffle is just screwing them....heh. It's one of those things.

However, accustations of cheating, and threats to disconnect should be brought to the attention of Admins. If this sort of crap is happening often, I don't want to play that fool and if I do and the same thing happens I'd like for the Admins to be able to see the pattern because others have reported it. heheheh, how much fun would it be for the admins to make them finish the match? You could really pound his team then! Wink
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2005 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Lucky is just another word for adaptive. In blood bowl, being lucky means taking advantage of unforseen occurrences and capitalizing on them. When someone is accusing you of cheating because you are too lucky, they're actually calling you flexible, adaptable and a quick-witted strategist. Being lucky only helps if you're smart enough to use it.

Anyone else read Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson? Remember the bit with Goto Dengo complaining about how the Americans were winning WWII because they were so damnably adaptable? Honorless dogs!

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2005 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Da_Todfatha wrote:
I have a hard time understanding why people think it's lucky when I'm doing well and simply good coaching when they are? And the opposite is true too, When I'm doing poorly, I imagine they think I suck as a coach, but when they do poorly Nuffle is just screwing them....heh. It's one of those things.

Yeah, it's funny when your opponent complains of bad luck after failing a roll...after blowing all of their RR on piddly stuff earlier in the match. People don't seem to realize that suceeding on a 2+ is not an automatic sucess - mathematically it means that you will fail 1/6 times. Even 2+ with a RR will fail 1/36 times. Anybody who has played elves knows that it happens frequently enough to cost you some games if you don't plan for it.
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2005 - 10:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I just hate when my opponent complains about his/her luck. Just because they fail some 2+ critical rolls. They just forget, that they might have succeeded some non-critical 4+ rolls, 1 dice blocks etc.
And the thing I hate even more is when opponent is complaining how good luck I have! Gee... "There's no point of playing here, cos you have such a good luck.. blah blah blah, whine whine whine".

Some people tend to forget that this game is all about having fun. At least that's my opinion. It's nice to win, it's nice to have spp's, and it's nice to have a good luck. But as we all know, sometimes you have a good luck, sometimes you have a bad luck. And when you start a game of Blood Bowl, you should remember that.

Like Coach Tony D'Amato said in Any Given Sunday:"On any given Sunday you’re gonna win or you’re gonna lose. The point is — can you win or lose like a man?".

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2005 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

You are lucky, it happens. It should be good grace not to complain and even joke about the fortunes/misfortunes. Who is not able to do that, well what can I say... without name calling?
Lets say that to be a man one should be able to ride the tiger of victory and the elephant of defeat
thesquig

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2005 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I played Squag when he had a lucky game (I'm sure he'll agree) and I winged and wrote an aweful post match report. I didnt let him enjoy his luck since I had some crap luck for a few games. It got to me and I acted as I usually wouldnt. ( I would never accuse anyone of cheating though). Sometimes people do crack and moan about luck. I consider myself to be quite lucky most of the time and people do moan and suggest that you only win games through luck. But personally I've never been good at having a few bad luck games on a trot, I usually whine a bit and say in chat that I will play unranked for a while.

Luck has always been one of the fundamentals of Bloodbowl and it is also important that you dont take luck personally when it goes against you. Thats my philosophy anyway, I just gotta stick to it a bit more Very Happy

I hear you though squag.

Jump to: