24 coaches online • Server time: 03:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Proposal for Jelly race
Yes, this is a good idea
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
No, this is a completely stupid idea
61%
 61%  [ 24 ]
This is a good idea but it could do with some modifications, which are...
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
This is a bad idea, only salvageable by my suggestion, which is...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but don't let them into Stunty
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'd like to see some playtesting results first
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 39

m0nty

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2003 - 08:07 Reply with quote Back to top

This is my proposal for an Ooze race, based on the Warhammer oozes listed here.

Roster:
0-6 Small Skeleton 30000 Right Stuff, Stunty 5 1 3 6 G
0-2 Dark Jelly 70000 Block, Tentacles 5 4 1 9 S
0-2 Acid Ooze 70000 Mighty Blow, Tentacles 5 3 1 9 S
0-12 Morphing Ooze 50000 Guard, Tentacles 6 2 3 7 G
0-1 Angler Ooze 100000 Sure Hands, Tentacles, Mighty Blow, Throw Team Mate, Always Hungry, Big Guy 5 3 3 8 G A

Rerolls: 70,000 each

Notes on Players:
- The Small Skeletons do not have Regenerate, are weaker than normal Skeletons and have a lower AV, to reflect their origins. They are the skeletons of dead adventurers (halflings, gnamoes, goblins, etc) brought back to life via arcane magical means, and the acid of some of the oozes' bodies have weakened their brittle bones. However, the skeletons were chosen by the ooze coaches due to their higher AG and their suitability for being thrown.
- Dark Jellies are the grunts of the team.
- Acid Oozes have Mighty Blow to reflect the nasty acid splashing that occurs when they hit. Acid Oozes can not pick up the ball... in fact, if possible, when they move into the square with the ball, or the ball moves into their square, the ball should disintegrate on a roll of 1-3. A couple of options here: the opposition team could be given another ball (like a touchback kick), or a new ball could be thrown by the crowd from the nearest sideline. Optionally, each time the ball disintegrates the Acid Ooze responsible could be banned from the game and/or have the side's winnings decreased by 10,000 to reflect the cost of providing another ball.
- Morphing Oozes have Guard because when they block together they temporarily form a single giant ooze, as per the above linked creature of the same name.
- The Angler Ooze is covered in sticky red acidic tentacles, thus its first three skills. The Anglers which play in Blood Bowl teams are specially trained to throw their skeleton team mates, although they have to resist the temptation to satisfy their appetite. Due to their acid stomach, the same rules about ball disintegration should apply if the Angler Ooze and the ball meet, INCLUDING if the Throw Team Mate skill fails for a team mate holding the ball but NOT INCLUDING if the Throw Team Mate skill succeeds for a team mate holding the ball.

Notes on team:
- If it is possible, oozes should be immune from poison daggers.
- When an Ooze player kills an opponent with the Stunty Skill, the Ooze burns away the flesh of the victim and the coach raises the Small Skeleton to join the ooze's team, just like Necromancers can raise victims as zombies.
- Suggestions for freebooting star players as per the above-linked list of Warhammer oozes are welcome.
m0nty

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2003 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Another team note:

- Oozes should be immune from niggling injuries, since they don't have the limbs required to be niggled. When a NI is sustained during a game, the ooze should still miss the game and the one after, so it is treated just like a plain Serious Injury. If a -ST, -MA, -AG or -AV result is rolled on a Serious Injury or Ageing roll, that would still apply.
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2003 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

A) they require fundamental code changes to work at all in JBB. Basically, a ball cannot be created or destroyed.

B) these are monsters, not a race capable of organizing a BB team.

C) in BB at least, necromantic magic doesn't work on stunties.
m0nty

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2003 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

A) The ball would not actually be destroyed in programming terms. It would either be given to a member of the non-ooze team, as per a touchback, or be moved to the nearest sideline and thrown in by the crowd as normal.

B) You're telling me Nurgle's Rotters are capable of self-organisation? Please. If you want backstory to justify an Ooze team in the Warhammer milieu, I could generate some, but I assume people would be able to guess how it would look. Maybe an ooze eats a wizard one day, assimilates his knowledge, rallies his fellow oozes to form a team to pay back the other races for all the terrible things done to them. Maybe the oozes from a particular dungeon were woken up one night by a particularly noisy Dungeon Bowl game, and formed into one huge ooze to formulate a vengeance strategy, and this is it. Come on, it's Blood Bowl, it's meant to be outlandish.

C) This is a silly objection. Magic does whatever you want it to do. Call it arcane magic from another dimension or something, it's just for the purposes of Blood Bowl so it doesn't have to be rules-lawyered to the nth degree.
m0nty

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2003 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Another possible team rule:

- Oozes are more susceptible to temperature changes than normal creatures. Under the conditions of Sweltering Heat, all oozes lose 1ST and 1AV but gain 1AG to simulate the increase in viscosity of the oozes' bodies. In a Blizzard, all oozes gain 1ST but lose 1AG and 1AV to simulate the treacle-like change in the oozes' metabolism, as well as their resulting brittleness.
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2003 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Shouldn't the Angler ooze have a str 4 if it was able to throw a team mate?
m0nty

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2003 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe. I didn't want it to be used as a decent blocker though. If you wanted a Big Guy ooze as a blocker, you'd have something like this on the roster, as per the description in the above link:

0-1 Enveloper 120000 Tentacles, Piling On, Big Guy 3 5 1 9

No skill set is specified, because the only way this player would earn new skills is by killing others. Every time the Enveloper killed an opponent, he would absorb a randomly chosen skill possessed by the opponent.

I did not include this in the original roster because I though it would be a bit unbalancing, but other people may like it.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2003 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, the first thing you have to realize is that you would have to make the team work completly within the existing rules. No new skills, no new special restrictions or bonuses, no changes to injuries, ect. No one is going to recode the client or this website to add support for one player created team.

Ignoring the special rules, this team breaks just about every rule for team and player creation that there is. Linemen that start with gaurd and a mutation? Throw team mate on a non big guy? I really suggest you read this article on team and player creation to get an idea of where to start.

http://www.blood-bowl.net/BloodBowlPlayers.html

The Finishing Touch
m0nty

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2003 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for that, Mr-Klipp, I was not aware of that page. Here is a revised roster, conforming to all but one of the rules in that link:

0-4 Small Skeleton 40000 Right Stuff, Stunty 6 2 3 8 G
0-2 Dark Jelly 60000 Tentacles 4 4 1 9 S
0-2 Acid Ooze 60000 Mighty Blow, Tentacles 5 3 1 9 S
0-12 Morphing Ooze 30000 Guard, Stunty 5 1 3 8 G
0-1 Angler Ooze 100000 Pass, Tentacles, Throw Team Mate, Always Hungry, Take Root, Big Guy 5 4 3 9 G S

You might argue about giving the Angler the Pass skill, since it's an agility-based skill and the unofficial rules forbid that, but I think it defines the oozes' playing style: mostly weak blockers who have to stay in close proximity to each other to remain effective, while the angler tries to throw any small skelly who manages to pick up the ball over the offensive line towards the end zone.

It may actually be better design to take out either or both of the two blocking ooze types and make it a Stunty Leeg team.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2003 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Stunty Leeg is really the only place we will consider adding experimental player created races, so you will definatly want to tune it for that. On that note, races in stunty really need to have very limited general access. Also, a TTM monster that starts with pass may very well be too unbalancing, unless perhaps the only players he could pass had ag2 to compensate.

The Finishing Touch
m0nty

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2003 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for your suggestions Mr-Klipp, I will rewrite it and start a new poll.
 Jump to: