62 coaches online • Server time: 20:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AegisTheHyena

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 05:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like people beat me to the punch. I'd offer advice, but after my last two games both ended in the worst dicings ever seen, I'm not qualified to give advice. Still, if you see me on, we can schedule a game and play against each other. I can explain the mistakes I catch, and you can laugh as I fail every roll imaginable.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 08:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say enjoy being rubbish, first and foremost. Being rubbish at a game you enjoy, knowing you're rubbish and having a willingness to improve is not a bad situation. Blaming the RNG and thinking you're brilliant is the bad situation. So firstly, enjoy knowing you've got lots to improve on, it's one of my favourite phases of playing a fun, new game.

Watch replays, those of others, those of your own game. Every coach makes mistakes, find yours. There is a lot of BB strategy chat on the Internet, sadly a high percentage of it is awful. Having fun and trying to improve is a good chunk of the battle!
Roland

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

pizzamogul wrote:
Have you read The Strategy Guide for Newbies? And just about everything else on the Help page?

If after going through all that you're ready to really hit the books, you must read Wreckage's opus 1000 Losses Playbook.

This!
And spectate good coaches playing against each other (ie major tournaments).

EDIT: I'm still rubbish @ bb, but at least I make fewer and fewer mistakes for each game I play (at least I think so).
SAILA

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Jiiiiim wrote:
Lizards and humans feel like the most new-friendly races to me cos they have clearly defined roles.

I strongly disagree with the lizard part, I learned BB with them and till now I play them almost exclusively.. they are definitely not hard to play, but they have very specific playstyle unapplicable to any other race (except Ogres maybe). You have no linemen. And you will learn nothing about tackle zones - skinks are stunty and don't care about them, sauri have AG1 so they don't dodge at all.
Once you learn BB with lizards, you will have great fun, but also problem playing any other race properly...
Tantibus

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Learn about the skills, did you know Claw and MB stack? Now throw in a bit of Piling on and your on the right track.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Probably nobody told you yet, but I realized its importance:
Keep the basics. Your teams develop quicker than you. So don't stick to 1 team, but try to master the basics by playing as many rookiish teams as possible. Forget about the skill combinations, team development, just play with as generic players as possible, learn tackle zones, blocking schemes, basing and dashing from both sides.

I would not recommend humans or lizards. If I were you I would probably pick norse, orc, dark elf, or chaos dwarf.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it worth noting that getting good at Blood Bowl is something that requires dedication and time. It is not a terribly complicated game but it has quite some depth. So if you want to become a better coach, be prepared to play dozens of games, to suffer setbacks, to read up on stuff, to spec matches, watch replays, browse other coaches' teams, and ponder. It's not something you achieve in one weekend.

I'll mention one thing that hasn't been said yet because probably everyone thinks it self-evident: Learn the rules. You can only really understand what's going on if you've got the rules nailed down. So, read and re-read CRP. The 145 club is a good recommendation for getting to know the rules and the client and the different rosters. To really improve your coaching though, you should play against stronger coaches and try to learn from them.

I'll also second watching your own replay. For quite some time, when I was dissatisfied with my own coaching ability, after each and every game I played, I watched the replay. Then in the turns where things went badly for me, I stopped the replay and thought about what I could have done better, until I was satisfied I knew the answer.
m0gw41

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Rookie Chaos in the Box is pretty tough, you record isn't too bad with them for a new player. For me Orcs were the best team to learn the art of blocking and caging with, maybe try those for a while and see how you get on. Otherwise most of the advice here is sound: Risk, Replays, Practice, Enjoy!

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
I would not recommend humans or lizards. If I were you I would probably pick norse, orc, dark elf, or chaos dwarf.

I'd recommend Orcs or Humans, those that used to come with the box Rolling Eyes
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:

I'd recommend Orcs or Humans, those that used to come with the box Rolling Eyes

I would too.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs, Undead or Humans are the true classic beginner teams. Others are suited to, but thats more personal preference.

Lizards are far from it as SAILA explained. Dark Elfes are also more on the challenging and different side of BB. Rookie chaos is hard also.

Claw+MB+PO will make your testicles shrink, your spine evaporate and ultimately nobody will really take you seriously no matter what they say or what you will do about it. Up to you though. Just pointing out.

And yes - make sure to (re)read the rules and memorize them as Verminardo said (it normally takes awhile to get solid enough with that alone. Basic advice, so nobody mentioned it - but really important)!
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Hoomans are a pretty tough gig, actually. I'd not recommend them for a new starter.

When I started, I really began to improve when I used Undead and CDs. Orcs are a go to choice for a new player, but coaches (both new and experienced) forget how bloody slow they are. Actually, Orcs can be pretty unforgiving to an inexperienced drive. Having MA7 Dodge on 4 guys and some in built MB can't half get you out of a hole if you're new. Effective MA9 on a bash team, ditto.

ClawPOMB is many things. The route to learning how to play good Blood Bowl is not one of them. Quality did dip after that route of least resistance was identified.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Humans are full of regret. They are not really good at elfballing, then are not really good at bashing. Their limitations are very visible. Plus 3+ dodge is not a solid play, but humans force you to do that time to time. So it is not great at learning the basics.
I agree that orcs are not forgiving, but still more fun than humans in my opinion for a newcomer. Of course it depends on personality. If you prefer dashing to bashing, then fine. But playing chaos means that you should probably enjoy orcs more than humans.
...and norse do have a chaotic feel, but they are much better equipped at the beginning than chaos.
Kam

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
If I were you I would probably pick norse (...)

Norses are a tier 1 team at low TV, if and only if you know your basics. I'm not sure someone new to Blood Bowl would be able to avoid the Frenzy traps (2d up on the second block, finishing your action on the sideline, etc). The Block spam sure helps, but it won't teach him the importance of throwing the safest blocks (e.g with the Block skill) first. Finally, with or without the Block skill, his opponent will be better at positioning and do much more blocks than he will (it's not uncommon to see an experience coach throw 2 or 3 times as much blocks as a rookie) - AV7 may become a nightmare if that happens.

But I would say Orcs as well. They have 4 players with Block, who also happen to have MA6 so they can do some catching up, AG3 means dodging is not impossible if you really have to, and AV9 everywhere means that, most likely, you won't be completely outnumbered after a few turns. I'm not sure about Undead teams - I don't have enough experience with them.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well...

Its funny quite a few years ago the common opinion on fumbbl was Humans are a bit challenging for beginners but recommendable - for their mediocrity or versatility. The logic being they would teach you the plain regular game and that in all aspects, where other races rather teach you how to play that specific race.

This has changed on fumbbl as quite a few views on races (as other topics), some obviously not really related to the rule changes but to the growing experience and skill level of the community itself. So a kind of change in paradigm really kinda. Nowadays humans are normally the most mentioned suggestion for a beginner team without those concerns being mentioned at all...

Its funny really that the community doesnt even seem to realize or reflect about it. But then collective long term memory is really short in general as history has proven over and over again.

Anyway - i actually fully share bghandra's and PG's view/ concerns about humans indeed.

I simply jump the bandwagon, but also i liked fumbbls old recipe/ view for a good beginner team as i remember it, which was about:
1. Having a good balance of being reasonable easy to play/ win with and
2. Not being too odd or strange to play(!). Like lizards, CDs - or Slann or Vampires even - to overemphasize the point. Where humans come in again ofc: there is really nothing special about them. So you will learn BB at least and not playing lizards or flings (ect.).

I dunno why people nowadays must suggest such strange races as mentioned which play a very specific game of BB (well change of paradigm without being reflected). So when i see them being mentioned - i still rather suggest Humans for said reasons.

Cpomb: Let's spare us all the fruitless debate about something the majority of halfway intelligent and honest coaches know is just about an unbalanced rule of which a lot of coaches at least agree there is just enough claw+mb+po already, thats my point in the end.
Before i posted i pondered whether i should much rather phrase roughly like PG, simply pointing out that it wont teach you BB but clawpomb. But im much too simple for that, so have to leave those subtle tactics to much more sophisticated/ well-mannered guys like PG who will do a much better job at it (to play it safe: no irony here at all!).

Last edited by albinv on %b %25, %2015 - %13:%Apr; edited 3 times in total
 Jump to: