18 coaches online • Server time: 04:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
stej

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2020 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not hugely active, but I too see the Cup as my swansong.
tussock

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2020 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
Just turned down +ag on a slann catcher because we were at game 14. Once that would have been the start of something beautiful. /sadtimes

For my mind, stats are gunna be huge in this. A player you can build quick and hang onto, and just pile into any crap with because that's what wins. AG 5 for pickups and dodge out after the wrassle works, who needs other players.

But also, Frogs will need a serious campaign to keep them in the competitive ruleset.

140k PA -- Krox (as per lizards)
110k PA 5+ Blitzer (Jump Up, Diving Tackle, Pogo Stick).
75k PA 3+ Catcher (Diving Catch, Pogo Stick)
55k PA 4+ Lineman (Pogo Stick).

Or something like that, right? Lustrian Superleague stars. 60k RRs, tier 2. Boom. But probs won't be official so, gogogo fumbbl frog campaign!

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2020 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

@ swansingers: why not play bb2016 rules in league?

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2020 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

League has never worked for me because of my irregular schedule, that's also incompatible with peak hours. This makes anything scheduled a bother.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2020 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
League has never worked for me because of my irregular schedule, that's also incompatible with peak hours. This makes anything scheduled a bother.

Hmmm, there might be a misconception.
There are league environments that basically allow you to play just like Ranked teams. And I think in this thread (or was it in L 2020 thread?) people talked about the possibility of a boxlike gamefinder for league (or only SL).
So there would be still ways for you to get your "old school" BB fix.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2020 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:

I've already deleted most of my teams and I consider the currently running FC as sort of a farewell tour. As soon as the rules go into effect I will quit Fumbbl.

Hold on, hold on, hold on.

There will still be the [L]eague division.

Maybe we could do with an update on what the "current thinking" is now.

e.g.
What {L]eague options might be available at launch and what may come later.

Will we be able to transfer teams to the [L]eague division

Will we be able to leave teams "on hiatus" in case better rules come in the future. (I still have teams that haven't played since LRB4 Wink )

Also, what is the planned go-live date?

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2020 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=31563

League questions might be answered here. PurpleChest is our goto man for all 2020 league stuff

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2020 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Fair point. So I posted there too. Mr. Green

I posted here because it looks as though some people could be quitting the site without even knowing what they could be missing.

e.g.

You can play "open" non-league games like Ranked.
We can run open [L]eague tournaments like the old days.
You can play open leagues.
Open [L]eague, I believe won't have seasons or a cutdown.
Someone may be able to build some kind of League Box. Christer doesn't seem keen though.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2020 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I honestly don't expect much from environments playing with "legacy" rules. We've seen in the past what happens to those right?

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2020 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

What happens?
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2020 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
I honestly don't expect much from environments playing with "legacy" rules. We've seen in the past what happens to those right?

Indeed. But open [L]eague (ruleset 6) won't be legacy rules. It just won't have seasons, I believe. So, no cut to 1350.

Tournaments can use TV caps to keep out the worst massive teams. If required.

Not great, but better than quitting IMO.

Other leagues may hit on a better formula depending on what options are available.

If it dies, it dies. But it will most likely die if a lot of people just quit without trying it.

This seems like a bigger rule change than most. I could probably live with it if not for the 1350 cut. So, we'll see how we can get around that.

It has been 15 years since we last played. The team I used that day still plays from time to time in [L]eague. Mr. Green
It would be really sad to lose 16 year, 6000+ game, well known community members.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2020 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

DeathRollerDAD wrote:
What happens?

Steady decline in games. Once you play by an obsolete ruleset there is no influx of new players, meaning everyone that leaves brings you a little closer to the bottom limit in terms of volume you need for the environment to remain sustainable.

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2020 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Surely the only big change is the redrafting bit, so it stands to reason that league formats without the redraft (or much longer periods between redrafts) will still thrive. The rest is largely tweaks to skills, stats and races which don't fundamental change the game, merely evolve it
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2020 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

What Cloggy is talking about is "open" format like Ranked/Box where you can turn up at any time of the day or night and get a game (hopefully) fairly quickly.

Secret League Open already exists in this space. Standard Open League already exists though is a shadow of its old self. But it could thrive again if it gets enough refugee, cut-dodgers.

2016 rules probaly won't make it in this format for the reasons Cloggy gives. I'd expect the old rules to live on in Leagues like CIBBL and the like. I guess that might not help the likes of Cloggy though.

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2020 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

C0ddlefish wrote:
Surely the only big change is the redrafting bit, so it stands to reason that league formats without the redraft (or much longer periods between redrafts) will still thrive. The rest is largely tweaks to skills, stats and races which don't fundamental change the game, merely evolve it

Maybe, maybe not. Needs to be seen and played first to really know. At least I can imagine now how older coache smust have felt with previous *big* changes.
But there are mechaniques that will really change certain teams will feel on the pitch.