37 coaches online • Server time: 17:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
miguelo

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2022 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, there. Amazing work folks Smile

I would like to give an idea to improve log window in the client. Sometimes is difficult to read what is happening or the rolls because there are too many text and it goes quickly up in the window (that is great to telling the match but triky to find something because it desapears fast), I think... Very Happy

Here is an example:

PlayerA starts a Block Action:
PlayerA blocks PlayerB
Block Roll [POW/PUSH]
Block Result: [PUSHBACK]

May be, an idea could be in one single line:
PlayerA > Block action > [POW/PUSH] = [POW]

Or

PlayerA tries to pick up the ball
Pick up roll [6]
Succeded on a roll of 3+ (roll >=3+)

May be, an idea could be in one single line:
PlayerA > Pick up the ball (3+) = [Roll=5]

Hope this help and open debate Very Happy
Kinks

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2022 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I know nothing of how the client is coded, but it would appear to me that all 4 of those lines are distinct different bits off information that are recorded.

If you were to disconnect after rolling your block dice, but not having selected one you would like to be able to re-join the game at that exact point (dice rolled, but not selected). So I suspect its not as simple shortening the text.

Personally I think the current projects are more of a priority. Perhaps if the larger client happens it would help with this anyway?

Edit: I think using dice icons instead of text would be nice.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2022 - 08:26 Reply with quote Back to top

It is pretty much as kinks said, declaring an action is a single step, executing is another one, dice rolls and result are as well.

So in many cases the resulting log stems from many differnt building blocks that do not know about each other.

It would be technically possible to combine at least some of the output lines, but afte all the client tries to mimic the board game where you have these single explicit steps and it also makes sense to be able to follow them especially as the opponent.

Not saying the log could not be slimer but on the other hand I had several occasions where people demanded more detailed explanations. So this is not easy Wink

In an ideal world the output format could be customized by client settings but that would require A LOT of work due to the way this was initially designed. Basically completely rewriting the log logic and a three digit number of affected files. That is just not feasible considering amount of work vs benefit.

Jump to: