35 coaches online • Server time: 09:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post custom pitch per tea...goto Post killing by fun?goto Post Pact/Renegades meta
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:

It might even be that introducing even more tournaments to the already full tourney calendar is not the best option. Why not just have different TR or TS caps for the existing majors?

I think Christer has more or less said that will never happen. I think if a mass participation [R] Minor were to come in - I'd probably place it on an equal footing with the Majors in terms of gravitas anyway. Lets be honest, the hardcore few that see the Majors as the be all and end all and Elfball ruthlessly to TR 300 in order to have a shot will never see it as worthy, but that doesn't bother me. I think I firmly sit in the 'Majors are good and everything, but the teams that tend to do well are mostly pretty cheesy, and I'll never have one of those' camp, and there are probably as many of us as the Major championing brigade. So a tournament at lower TR, dominated by different teams, is one where you wouldn't have to prepare endlessly, so would be pretty neat. It would probably stop the Major grumbling for a bit anyway! Very Happy

Cloggy wrote:

Still, I think more variety in the majors would be beneficial to Fumbbl, since right now I find them kinda dull.

Agreed there. I think the FC this year being a straight KO and the Gobbos in the GLT are steps in the right direction. Who knows - the FC might be won by (whispers) a non-Elven team! Shocked
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Id run a minor [R] tourney... Ive run a few tourneys in [L] and my players can vouch for me

though its never going to happen or even get a response is it? Razz
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Cloggy wrote:

It might even be that introducing even more tournaments to the already full tourney calendar is not the best option. Why not just have different TR or TS caps for the existing majors?

I think Christer has more or less said that will never happen. I think if a mass participation [R] Minor were to come in - I'd probably place it on an equal footing with the Majors in terms of gravitas anyway. Lets be honest, the hardcore few that see the Majors as the be all and end all and Elfball ruthlessly to TR 300 in order to have a shot will never see it as worthy, but that doesn't bother me. I think I firmly sit in the 'Majors are good and everything, but the teams that tend to do well are mostly pretty cheesy, and I'll never have one of those' camp, and there are probably as many of us as the Major championing brigade. So a tournament at lower TR, dominated by different teams, is one where you wouldn't have to prepare endlessly, so would be pretty neat. It would probably stop the Major grumbling for a bit anyway! Very Happy

Cloggy wrote:

Still, I think more variety in the majors would be beneficial to Fumbbl, since right now I find them kinda dull.

Agreed there. I think the FC this year being a straight KO and the Gobbos in the GLT are steps in the right direction. Who knows - the FC might be won by (whispers) a non-Elven team! Shocked

Surely a TR capped tournament would be the biggest on Fumbbl because more people would think that it is worthwhile taking part.

I'll bet those coaches with the 350TR teams also have decent 250TR teams.

I'd say go back to four Majors and add a 'tournament for the people' Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
I agree, lower TR tournaments should have a place in Ranked. This will allow more coaches to compete, as not everybody has the time or patience to make a major tourneyteam.

Seconded.
And some coaches it is easier to participate in a weekly ko, than hang around an hour to wait for a smack to start, and then still have time to play two games in a row.
More peeps able to participate in ranked tourneys makes fumbbl a more democratic space Smile

On a completely different subject: I'd like to see a no limit TR ranked tourneys where wizards aren't allowed (maybe this rule could be worked out in a fluff way for one of the majors)

Last edited by Smess on %b %06, %2007 - %15:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Smess

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
I agree with Thorpe.

The 5 majors we have right now are so similar to eachother that I think some more variation might be in order. Playing tournaments is fun after all, but I for one can't be bothered to powerbuild a team until it's good enough to have a chance in a major.

Obviously the UI, being organised by snotty elves, has to remain uncapped and the same goes for the Fumbbl Cup, being the unofficial Fumbbl championship. All other majors could introduce a TR or TS Cap without compromising the tournament themes.

Let's be realistic though. What ever the rules you set for a certain tournament there will always be coaches or races that gain a competitive edge because they are better suited to the rules than others.

And he is also right !

Two dutchmen being spot on right in the same topic, what is happening to my world Shocked
Webbe

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
I agree with Thorpe.

The 5 majors we have right now are so similar to eachother that I think some more variation might be in order. Playing tournaments is fun after all, but I for one can't be bothered to powerbuild a team until it's good enough to have a chance in a major.

Obviously the UI, being organised by snotty elves, has to remain uncapped and the same goes for the Fumbbl Cup, being the unofficial Fumbbl championship. All other majors could introduce a TR or TS Cap without compromising the tournament themes.

Let's be realistic though. What ever the rules you set for a certain tournament there will always be coaches or races that gain a competitive edge because they are better suited to the rules than others.

Spot on, exactly what I think.
Machlie

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice thinking. I like the caps (and cutoff) proposed. Makes the way to an interesting tourney shorter. But then again that might piss some team builders off that newbs like myself could get there. But would make it more for everybody which in my opinion should add more to the great common pile of fun.
Smess

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Machlie wrote:
Nice thinking. I like the caps (and cutoff) proposed. Makes the way to an interesting tourney shorter. But then again that might piss some team builders off that newbs like myself could get there. But would make it more for everybody which in my opinion should add more to the great common pile of fun.

With the current propositions, teambuilders would still have the UI and the fumbbl cup as uncapped tourneys. Since the cup will always be the most famous tourney that's not that bad.
And nothing prevents teambuilders from building a perfect team for a capped tourney as well.
MrNomad

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I have another possible idea. I don't know how well it would be received but here goes.

I enjoy and get into league play a lot more than Ranked. Why not have a major in league play between the winners and runners up of some of the really nice leagues and give them prizes like the majors in Ranked? Have like a Quad-League Cup championship or something similar to that. Have 2 major and 2 minor Championships. The minors would be for the smaller leagues and the major for the larger more established leagues. Would be something to look forward to in league besides the fluff and could get some really good rivalries going between the different leagues. It's just a thought for the future.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

OOO, consensus!!!! Shocked

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Machlie wrote:

the whole idea of minors or cutoffs would be to make the fast action of a tourney possible for the whole Community(Someone better get a hint with that)

if it pisses the high rolling elves off, the UI and FC is still for them

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

MrNomad wrote:
I have another possible idea. I don't know how well it would be received but here goes.

I enjoy and get into league play a lot more than Ranked. Why not have a major in league play between the winners and runners up of some of the really nice leagues and give them prizes like the majors in Ranked? Have like a Quad-League Cup championship or something similar to that. Have 2 major and 2 minor Championships. The minors would be for the smaller leagues and the major for the larger more established leagues. Would be something to look forward to in league besides the fluff and could get some really good rivalries going between the different leagues. It's just a thought for the future.

a very good proposition, can someone start giving the admins word of this thread, the ideas coming seem to be good...or we wait for 20 more pages of ideas, then they will seriously have to think about it

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I now disagree. If you want the glory of a tournament, there are several minors that have TR limits and winnable by lower CR coaches. Play in one of those. The majors are MAJORS, meant for the best teams/coaches.

That means you.

Last edited by Oblitzamanger on %b %09, %2007 - %03:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Peter_Thorpe wrote:
a very good proposition, can someone start giving the admins word of this thread, the ideas coming seem to be good...or we wait for 20 more pages of ideas, then they will seriously have to think about it

I agree that at least one Major could have a cap. It has been said that it'll never happen, that will just have to be lived with.

In the conversation surrounding the last thread along these lines ('We the people' by Synn - I had a search but didn't find it, I'm only here for 2 mins) indicated that a well thought out plan for a [R] tournament with a cap would be received well by the admins, and not just dismissed. After all, the LC was born out of that thread. So the challenge is to create an idea with great fluff, logistics, prizes etc. that are good enough for Christer to consider. Fragments of ideas and "It would be nice if..." won't get it done, I wouldn't think.

Thinking cap on! Laughing
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2007 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Peter_Thorpe wrote:
...., the ideas coming seem to be good...or we wait for 20 more pages of ideas, then they will seriously have to think about it

20 pages is only feasible when you make it about fouling or cherrypicking I'm afraid.