36 coaches online • Server time: 10:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post custom pitch per tea...goto Post killing by fun?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lucan

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

One alternative, which needs no admin sanction but a huge amount of player sanction is to run a major in [L]. KOs can easily be set up, TR limits enforced. What it needs though is for people to create [L] teams that are not attached to a league so teams can realistically be built up in there. OK, there'd be no special prize for the winner, but the prestige of the tournament is entirely in the hands of the community and we could put it up there with the five [R] majors.

Hell, if it gets big enough, Christer might consider making a special prize for it?
Pirog

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I have never really heard a constructive excuse for why we can't have Rumbles for all TR levels. A simple no is informative, but not very satisfying.

I'm a very devoted player, I write match reports to 99 % of my matches, I have fluffed up all my 30 teams and I still don't have the time to wait around for Smacks. That format is just not a good alternative for most people.

As for managing Rumbles I'm 100 % sure that there are plenty of volunteers to not put further stress on the admins. Hell, I can even volunteer myself.

Big tournaments with prices and variying themes for all TR levels would be amazing, but why not start easy an just introduce more Rumbles?
Pirog

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Hell, if it gets big enough, Christer might consider making a special prize for it?

It would be cool to have a tournament that is hosted by each race and the price for winning would be a single, unskilled lineman of that race. It wouldn't unbalance things too much and it would be great fun to have that player just because it would be out of the ordinary.
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Lucan wrote:
One alternative, which needs no admin sanction but a huge amount of player sanction is to run a major in [L]. KOs can easily be set up, TR limits enforced. What it needs though is for people to create [L] teams that are not attached to a league so teams can realistically be built up in there. OK, there'd be no special prize for the winner, but the prestige of the tournament is entirely in the hands of the community and we could put it up there with the five [R] majors.

That may work OK for TR100 but TR250 would have a hard time finding teams.

Allowing teams to transfer from [R] to [L] would really help [L] tournaments and be one way around it.

[L] tournaments are not the same as an official tourney though.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

That would be cool, actually.
Lucan

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Why not? Surely its entirely in our hands how big and popular a tourney is? Yeah, might well take longer to truly become popular than the headstart given to admin run ones - Lustria springing very readily to mind - but it could certainly be done.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Lucan wrote:
koadah wrote:

Why not? Surely its entirely in our hands how big and popular a tourney is? Yeah, might well take longer to truly become popular than the headstart given to admin run ones - Lustria springing very readily to mind - but it could certainly be done.

I'm afraid it will not.

People want this change so they can play in a tournament with the teams they regularly use in Ranked. If you set up something big in L you can only play with non-tournament bound teams, which leaves pretty much everyting outside of TR100 starts out.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Lucan wrote:

I doubt any [L] tourney can get the attention of an [R] tourney... besides, most people play in [R], so they´d probably want to prepare their teams there too.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I got 5 teams that has a fair chance to advance to the main round in the Lustrian major. It is not THAT hard to get a decent team that can compete. My bashy teams have certainly not cherry-picked (damage wise) either, rather the opposite. Well you need to play ~50 games perhaps. In my opinion playing a major is one part team building and one part good coaching (+a large part of luck). You won't win without both of those skills. If you want to show of your coaching skills, then I suggest RRR.

This is fumbbl and those are the rules, you may enter and try to win any major based on this. The rules are the same for everyone.
Malthor

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Firstly, the Majors are not all alike. They have very different prizes. The FUMBBL Cup is for 256 teams, the UI has Dark and Light Qualifiers, the GLT has a random Gobbo star playing for each team in the main draw, and I have also proposed something different for the Warpstone that is yet to be approved by Christer.

That being said however, the admin team position is that there should be a common set of rules for the Majors that will followed as closely as possible, so that the rules are clear to all and sundry. Eg, cutoff by TR, weekly qualifiers (where qualifiers are used), random filling of qualifiers (so no seeding) etc.

Christer has said in the forums that he is not adverse to a lower TR mass tournament being run during the year along with other scheduled ranked minors (ie set dates in the calendar). The challenge of course is how to fit all the events in to the packed year and I have not had much time to develop the ranked Minors idea unfortunately.

Whilst I am still working on this stuff in the background, the current priority for tournament and admin staff will be the LC and the upcoming FUMBBL Cup - and Christer has said he does not want anything detracting from the Cup being filled with the biggest/best teams and coaches so do not expect anything new before the FUMBBL Cup is well underway.

M

still disliked all round!
Pirog

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Christer has said in the forums that he is not adverse to a lower TR mass tournament being run during the year along with other scheduled ranked minors (ie set dates in the calendar). The challenge of course is how to fit all the events in to the packed year and I have not had much time to develop the ranked Minors idea unfortunately.

But do they have to be scheduled? Can't they just start up when a set limit of people have applied, like 32 teams? With 30 team slots people that want to prime their teams and not risk having them bashed up just before the tournament starts can just prime them and then just play with their other teams until the tournament starts. In Ranked I don't think it would take that long to fill up to 32 teams and if it does then they can start with 16 teams instead.

Prices and glamour is nice, but I think the main need for most people is to feel that they compete...something which is lost in Ranked since almost everyone is just cherry picking to advance their team...even if they don't have an end goal with that advancement.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

NOOOOO

Not the cherrypicking discussion!!!!!

Not now!

Not here!

You made me do Spiro's Mad

Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand where you are coming from Malthor, and I understand admins have a lot of work with the current tourneys already.

But how about the idea of making Rumbles for the same categories as the smack tourneys? At least there would be more capped ranked tourneys then, and more accesible for all coaches, cos not everyone has the time on their hands for a smack.
It would just be an expansion of the current RRR, and no new fluff or rules would have to be created. Tourneys could start when 16 players have applied. I have no idea how much work it would involve for admins, but some 'Rumbble admins' could help out (I believe there are admins only for smacks as well right?).

I don't need to see it implemented right away, but it looks to be the best and the fastest alternative for adding more capped ranked tourneys. What do you think of the idea and do you think it is workable?
Melmoth

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Smess wrote:

But how about the idea of making Rumbles for the same categories as the smack tourneys?

Seconded!
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Melmoth wrote:
Smess wrote:

But how about the idea of making Rumbles for the same categories as the smack tourneys?

Seconded!

I'd still like a Rumble at 250 or 225 though. (Even if we didn't get the others)

Rumble admins seems like a good idea.

Jump to: