42 coaches online • Server time: 16:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Capping the majors is no longer the issue I think. We have had clear answers from the admins that this will never happen, and an equally clear opening from Malthor to get a Rumble type system going provided we all help out.

I just want to be able to play TR capped tournies, and whether they are called majors or not is not important to me.

So keep those volunteers coming!

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to the few of you who have volunteered to help. I will be in touch in the next few days re what has been decided so far and what remains to be done.

still disliked all round!
def909

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Did anyone want the majors to be capped? We all still want to see the biggest and baddest team compete (I sure do) and that´s exactly what the existing majors offer. One of them could maybe be capped, but the rest should stay like they are. It´s not for me to decide that anyway... I thought we were talking about a *new* event here... since Malthor has a concept that seems to be well developed already we don´t even have to reinvent the wheel...
I also liked the idea of a swiss-style tournament someone suggested earlier, this could really be an awesome event!

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Malthor wrote:
Thanks to the few of you who have volunteered to help. I will be in touch in the next few days re what has been decided so far and what remains to be done.

I could help too. Just ask if some help is needed.
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

the capped tournaments seems to have died, but malthors idea is in full swing

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Before it is completely perishes under the loads of posts, let me adress the swiss style preliminaries once again.
There are some more advantages next to more matches for more teams (and thus reaching the million matches 2007 Wink)
Matches may end tied, so there is no overtime.
No need to win all matches to reach next round.
More CR adjustment since losing teams continue to play in tournament.

SillySod

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Meh, the whole point of big tourneys is that they are OPEN, it is very in theme...

Just paly more SMACKs and save us some time when we're recruiting.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

smacks have been nuked ever since the CR stopper

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 02:27 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:
Before it is completely perishes under the loads of posts, let me adress the swiss style preliminaries once again.

As I understand it, swiss style would create new scheduling problems in large tournaments.
With the current KO system, the brackets go up and games can be played without synchronization.
Teams can play their first, second, third, etc round matches as soon as their next opponents are similarly available.

With swiss style, all first round matches would have to be completed before anyone can play a second round match.
Looking at the Major tournaments and qualifiers so far, there are often first round matches
that don't get played until close to (or just past) the round deadline,
while other teams are already waiting for their third or fourth round opponents.
Swiss style constrains every other team in the tournament so they would have to wait for the slowest teams to finish.

I don't see swiss style working out for large tournaments, unless it was synchronized quickstart,
in which case it would be nearly impossible to get all the coaches online at the same time.
Getting 8 coaches online is somewhat difficult now for SMACKS.
Imagine 16 or 32? Forget about it.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 07:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the new capped tournies should be built to accomodate the coaches that are not always around on peak hours. The guys whose girlfriends allow them to play in the evening on weekends already have their Smacks Smile

So the Rumble system simply expanded to different TR classes is still my favorite.

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 08:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
The guys whose girlfriends allow them to play in the evening on weekends already have their Smacks

The Smacks are for a very reserved few. I don't have the patience to wait around in the chat for 2 hours for the possibility of a Smack starting up, and by the time it does it's often too late for me to play that 2nd match if I win.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2007 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Plorg wrote:
vanGorn wrote:

As I understand it, swiss style would create new scheduling problems in large tournaments.
With the current KO system, the brackets go up and games can be played without synchronization.
Teams can play their first, second, third, etc round matches as soon as their next opponents are similarly available.

With swiss style, all first round matches would have to be completed before anyone can play a second round match.
Looking at the Major tournaments and qualifiers so far, there are often first round matches
that don't get played until close to (or just past) the round deadline,
while other teams are already waiting for their third or fourth round opponents.
Swiss style constrains every other team in the tournament so they would have to wait for the slowest teams to finish.

I don't see swiss style working out for large tournaments, unless it was synchronized quickstart,
in which case it would be nearly impossible to get all the coaches online at the same time.
Getting 8 coaches online is somewhat difficult now for SMACKS.
Imagine 16 or 32? Forget about it.

A week playing time should be enough to play. When the time ran off, all unplayed fixtures become forfeited with zero points for either side. A forfeit is hard but not the end for the teams since they can gain points in the further rounds.
Apropos points: a win should give 5, a draw 3, a marginal loss 2 and a clear loss 1 point, as in many RL tournaments.
Since league matches are duty matches, any honorable coach would be intent to play their matches. Droppers should be a rare sighting.

Jump to: