33 coaches online • Server time: 13:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, now that you've got the outlines of a proposal (Rumbles at various TR levels, like Smacks) write it up in detail, including how it will work, who will run it, etc. Draw up a mock group page. Create logos/banners. Do all the work you'd be asking the site staff to do.

If you do all that, the staff are likely to be much more amenable to the request. Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

The idea of RRRs at different TR caps sounds nice - me likes.
I´d still love to see a big [R] tourney (promoted just like the major tourneys and with a nice price to be won, though it needn´t be an official "major" if that is a problem) with 128 or even 256 slots. TS (!) cap should be low enough to allow stunty (also ogre and vamp) teams participating (and have at least a slim chance). It´s very easy to build a team of that TS, and I can´t overstress how cool it would be to see stunties play in an "important" tourney. I love to watch (and participate) in the majors, but the one thing I don´t like about them is that many races just can´t compete at very high TR. There is not enough variety, the qualifiers are won by the same races over and over again. At lower TS/TR, many more races actually stand a chance.
Fluff-wise, how about if it is held by Flings, that could explain why all the top teams don´t even bother to participate. I´m just making this up as I write, anyone like the ideas?

Edit: After reading Pac´s message I should add that I´d be willing to put some effort into it once something has been agreed on, like creating graphics or fluff...

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the nice prices should be reserved for the uncapped majors though. I don't like the fact that I don't have the time or skill to participate in them, but I still think that it makes sense that the top teams compete over the best prices.

But a small, symbolic price would be nice. Like that lineman idea that someone came up with. That was a really good idea Wink
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

If it's going to be a minor, why not just stick to +ff as the prize?

It's not as though the prizes are the reason this sort of tourney is called for.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Okay, now that you've got the outlines of a proposal (Rumbles at various TR levels, like Smacks) write it up in detail, including how it will work, who will run it, etc. Draw up a mock group page. Create logos/banners. Do all the work you'd be asking the site staff to do.

If you do all that, the staff are likely to be much more amenable to the request. Smile

Good idea pac.

Cloggy has also made a lot of sense, rather than whining at Christer and the admins expecting them to do all this for us we need to come up with a well thought out proposal, complete with all the fluff, rules etc.

I'm not very up on things like this, but is it possible for new tourney admins to be created or to offer to help out in some way? If a bunch of dedicated coaches get toghether and offer to do most/all of the work we'd have a much larger chance of getting it approved.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
I guess the comment about keeping things constructive has gone unheard.....

Let's just get away from the admin bashing and back on topic for a minute. I think what most coaches who have posted here want can be summarised as an official ranked tournament with a TR cap.

[...]

Now STOP FLAMING and let's try to keep the discussion healthy Mad

Actually, if I am not mistaken, all majors are going to have a cap sooner or later anyway, depends on when LRB 5 will replace LRB 4.
def909

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirog wrote:
I think the nice prices should be reserved for the uncapped majors though. I don't like the fact that I don't have the time or skill to participate in them, but I still think that it makes sense that the top teams compete over the best prices.

But a small, symbolic price would be nice. Like that lineman idea that someone came up with. That was a really good idea Wink

That´s a nice price if I ever saw one...

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:

Thorpe?! Work?!!? LOL. /me falls off his chair!

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Set RUMMBLs (or FUMBBL Tour events) using similar TR bands to SMACKs for 16 or 32 teams at a time, with events giving 'tour points' for an annual championship is something that I have proposed to some level of detail after a lot of discussion and thought within the admin team.

It is clear that I have not had the time to keep pushing it along so this is a good opportunity to get it moving.

Send me a PM if you want to devote some time and energy over the next few weeks working on the rest of the details. A lot of time and effort has gone into coming up with fluff, scheduling, rules etc already so I am looking for a group of people to help me flesh out the final details and do some of the keyboard work. Let me stress this key point - the majority of the framework is pretty much decided - I need some bodies to help me get it to a stage where Christer can approve its implementation. I am not looking for people to help me design something from scratch nor spend a lot of time/energy arguing over why something is a 32 team event instead of 128 etc or why we can't have prizes like +Str for every player on a team.

If you think you can work to those conditions, send me a PM and I will work something out.

still disliked all round!
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Lucan wrote:
One alternative, which needs no admin sanction but a huge amount of player sanction is to run a major in [L]. KOs can easily be set up, TR limits enforced. What it needs though is for people to create [L] teams that are not attached to a league so teams can realistically be built up in there. OK, there'd be no special prize for the winner, but the prestige of the tournament is entirely in the hands of the community and we could put it up there with the five [R] majors.

Hell, if it gets big enough, Christer might consider making a special prize for it?

That may work OK for TR100 but TR250 would have a hard time finding teams.

Allowing teams to transfer from [R] to [L] would really help [L] tournaments and be one way around it.

[L] tournaments are not the same as an official tourney though.

Ah nooo!
Don't pollute divL with pimped up picker teams from divR.

Meech

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

way to stay constructive vanGorn.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Panda_ wrote:
I like the old FC with all it's categories.

LLT, TS, TR, also only one is worth my attention.

I agree with you. The tournaments should be different from each others. But different cap is only a possibility, there is also:

- the best teams for each race,
- the team with best FF,
- a tournament with TR cap
- race are divided in 2 different groups (bright and dark)
- and one with the FC way of selecting (LLT and so on)

That's 5 tournament, the magic is each actual major can be modified with those ideas (and some already does).

I think this is really the way to go as far as the majors are concerned. For the Ulthuan Invitational, invite the 128 applying teams with highest TR. Perhaps for the Grotty Little Tournament, invite the 128 longest-lived teams. For another major, invite the 128 applications from the coaches with highest CR.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

There might be another solution to give room for teams with mediocre TR in majors. Just make the preliminaries swiss style. After 8 to 10 swiss rounds, among thousands competitors there should have arisen the few teams which can enter the final knockouts.
Thus that major would be quite different from the others too.

Last edited by vanGorn on %b %07, %2007 - %22:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Borgen

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
Playing tournaments is fun after all, but I for one can't be bothered to powerbuild a team until it's good enough to have a chance in a major.

This is not just directed at Cloggy, as numerous others have raised this same argument in this thread. This argument is complete BS.

Of the past 4 winners of major tournaments, these are the #s of games played - including games in their tournament run (and percentage played against non-elf teams):

Havena Dodgers - 33 games played (76% vs. Non-elves)
Ultimate Superheroes - 30 games played (66% vs. Non-Elves)
Urza's World - 31 games played (58% vs non-Elves)
Krautrock - 76 games played (58% vs non-Elves).

So three teams have proven you can not only be competitive in a major, you can WIN THE WHOLE THING with a grand total of 30 games invested in the team.

Don't have time to play 30 games with a team? Maybe the MAJOR tournaments aren't for you.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

30 games. That's about 3 years on gamefinder with dorfs. Wink

Jump to: