10 coaches online • Server time: 06:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Might be so Borgen, but those 4 teams were coached by the creme de la creme. Filling the 128 spots with teams of similar caliber means that the rest of us need to play more games to get the FF and skills. Stuff like luck comes in more than judgment with player positioning leading to good players being killed, etc. The best coaches will continue to win, probably with teams they get up to speed quickly, but mass events shouldn't be the domain of only the few, or should they? :/ I did a quick tally of the recent GLT last 16, and made their average # of games 107 - which is loads. This was inflated by one or two, I'll grant you, but for some of us, the last 16 is the aim. I don't disagree that it can be done on 30 or so games. But the majority need more.

Anyways, good stuff from Mal there, I offer my time, but lack HTML and image production skills. If you need a general dogsbody, I'm in! Smile
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

You just can't compare building Elfs to building a bashy team. It's totally different...
1. Getting Elfs to TR250 is much easier then something like Orcs or Chaos.
2. Skilling every player on an elfteam is so easy, trying to skill 4 BoBs within 30 games to about 31spp. Dont even start about getting lino's to 2 or 3 skills.
3. Getting games with elfs is as easy as stealing candy from a baby. You can wait ages for a game if you got some Orcs which are almost ready...

But to stay on topic, lets work on the plans of Malthor. Arguing about the Majors wont help us.
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

FYI pete, i can do ALOT of online work if i know a result will come at the end...this is just a proposal...not a stated fact

when this can be said it will happen if we do the work, i personally will work my b*****ks off to make it happen

Last edited by Peter_Thorpe on %b %07, %2007 - %22:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Borgen

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
You just can't compare building Elfs to building a bashy team. It's totally different...
1. Getting Elfs to TR250 is much easier then something like Orcs or Chaos.
2. Skilling every player on an elfteam is so easy, trying to skill 4 BoBs within 30 games to about 31spp. Dont even start about getting lino's to 2 or 3 skills.
3. Getting games with elfs is as easy as stealing candy from a baby. You can wait ages for a game if you got some Orcs which are almost ready...

But to stay on topic, lets work on the plans of Malthor. Arguing about the Majors wont help us.

Look up the team Kraut Surfers, a dwarf team that made it to the semifinals of a major last year after playing less than 30 games.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Borgen wrote:
This is not just directed at Cloggy, as numerous others have raised this same argument in this thread. This argument is complete BS.

Of the past 4 winners of major tournaments, these are the #s of games played - including games in their tournament run (and percentage played against non-elf teams):

Havena Dodgers - 33 games played (76% vs. Non-elves)
Ultimate Superheroes - 30 games played (66% vs. Non-Elves)
Urza's World - 31 games played (58% vs non-Elves)
Krautrock - 76 games played (58% vs non-Elves).

Way to misrepresent statistics man Razz

Havena Dodgers - 33 games played (76% vs. Non-elves) of which 0% vs dwarves, 0% vs chaos dwarves, 0% vs khemri, and 4 games each against humans and rats.

The others show similar statistics.

Now I could go into a lenghty discussion with you about how majors teams are built, but we all know that you need to either play elves and avoid damage for a bit, or play a bashy team for 100 games and get very lucky with CAS and ageing for a while.

Hiding that fact behind misinterpreted stats is just weak, and totally irrelevent to the point I made.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

are we talking teams and coaches...or we talking about the minors...or as malthor suggested, reviving the tour!

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Borgen wrote:

Look up the team Kraut Surfers, a dwarf team that made it to the semifinals of a major last year after playing less than 30 games.

I didn't say it was impossible, it just take a lot more coaching skills and more patience...
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Borgen wrote:
Panda_ wrote:
I like the old FC with all it's categories.

LLT, TS, TR, also only one is worth my attention.

I agree with you. The tournaments should be different from each others. But different cap is only a possibility, there is also:

- the best teams for each race,
- the team with best FF,
- a tournament with TR cap
- race are divided in 2 different groups (bright and dark)
- and one with the FC way of selecting (LLT and so on)

That's 5 tournament, the magic is each actual major can be modified with those ideas (and some already does).

I think this is really the way to go as far as the majors are concerned. For the Ulthuan Invitational, invite the 128 applying teams with highest TR. Perhaps for the Grotty Little Tournament, invite the 128 longest-lived teams. For another major, invite the 128 applications from the coaches with highest CR.

If I may add the suggestion to also consider a major for teams with tournament wins as tie breaker?

My guess is that all teams with at least 1 tournament win would qualify, thus I'd suggest overall tournament wins of the applying team's coach as second tie-breaker if it has never been able to claim silverware.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2007 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyway, sorry to go off topic Embarassed

I've volunteered to do some work on this. I suggest all those who posted in here saying they REALLY want this to happen do the same.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 08:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I would gladly volunteer, but the problem is that I'm about as handy with the technical stuff as a piece of grilled ham.

If you need help with anything that a low-tech can provide you can count on me though Wink
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

i will peaceably lend a hand, but as with pirog, im a lackey, nothing to do with technical work heh

anyone got a wiki page we can add our names to THIS cause...not the last one for the 5th major

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 09:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok Thorpe Here you go, knock yourself out. Smile

I'll also offer my services to help out, it's abou time I did something for this community besides the odd donation.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

haha ace

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it really worthwhile adding the idea of TR caps on the major tournaments when it is so clearly stated from the officials that it will never happen?

It just seems like something that will take the focus away from the things we actually have a good chance of achieving.
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirog wrote:
Is it really worthwhile adding the idea of TR caps on the major tournaments when it is so clearly stated from the officials that it will never happen?

It just seems like something that will take the focus away from the things we actually have a good chance of achieving.

I agree. It is a great Idea, but it is taking away too much from the Majors that are already popular.

The last I heard was that Christer did not want caps on any Majors.
Asking for one big capped tournament is one thing but I can't see capping four Majors getting enough support.

Malthor's Tour/RUMBBLs would satisfy most of the demand so I think supporting 250 or 225TR RUMBBLs is a fair compromise.

A big 250TR tournament would be great but require volounteers. Capping one Major sounds good to me but it's all about convincing Christer.

Jump to: