42 coaches online • Server time: 18:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How do you feel about the Fumbbl Tour?
Sweet! One to show off coaching skill.
43%
 43%  [ 38 ]
Meh, it's not a major.
8%
 8%  [ 7 ]
Yuck, more powergaming just on a smaller scale.
26%
 26%  [ 23 ]
I'm waiting for the Great Fumbbl Pie Bake-Off!
21%
 21%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 87

pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2008 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

It's been overshadowed by the Birthday and the upcoming Warpstone major, but the FUMBBL Tour is accepting applications for teams beginning on January 9th. The WO will be a showcase for the teambuilders and is drawing alot of discussion, but the "capped" tourneys aren't getting the attention it deserves.

After some talks in IRC, it seems that the overwhelming choice for most coaches will be Undead. With that in mind, Zons seem like an interesting counter to play and Dwarves may be a nice 3rd option.

Not forgetting that the tourneys could be six-round affairs, am I missing any other good picks? And what do you think are the best builds (positionals and skill selection) for these teams?

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2008 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

A fact I'm afraid of, is that we might need to hit the 150 exactly to get in, since the highest TR comes before the application time when determining the competitors.
That has the flavour of power gaming. Sad

SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2008 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I have an ideal team.... they were pimped out for a smack but the tour sounds more prestigous and much more fun.

Still, Twitching

What do people think?

Edit: actual responce to the original question...

If I wanted to pick the winning race I'd guess zons, if they get lucky and avoid dorfs. I'd cut humans out of the running along with goblins and halflings. A 6 game tournament dosent favour humans since they rely so much on stars for the highly competitive edge.

Orcs are a nice choice since they are consistent and unlikely to get damaged. Likewise for undead. Dorfs may have more difficulty winning consistently than these two.

I'd back an elf team to win it, probably darkies. They might not have the same edge when it comes to stars (face it, elf stars are bad) but they definately have an edge when it comes to winning reliably without them and often without sustaining any great injury. They are also much better equiped to take adfvantage of a good draw too, being much more proficient in SPP farming... which could make a big difference over 5 or 6 games. It makes them easier to have ready too.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2008 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:

What do people think?

Fine, except the prevoiusly written demur. TR148 might be too low to get in, although we only know that TR151 would be too high. Confused

Colin

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2008 - 06:57 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want some stats here they are:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=stats&op=rankings&bracket=3
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=stats&op=rankings&bracket=4

If TR capped at 150 means the teams have to stay under it for the whole tourney, the former is more relevant. If teams only started at TR 150 and grew through the tourney, the latter would apply.

Still, at low TR, it's a whole different game. I'm interested, if only because I have no uber teams.

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2008 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Although those stats are based on TS, I expect most teams to fit in the 130-150 bracket, nonetheless, since collecting a treasure hoard for spending during the tournament isn't uncommon.

G_Force

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2008 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll probably chuck a team at this. i can't do any worse that i fair in the majors Very Happy
If 145 isn't enough then i guess i don't play

koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2008 - 08:24 Reply with quote Back to top

How does this work? Is there only one tournament?

If 96 people apply will 32 miss out or run 3 32 team events?

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2008 - 08:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe that 32 miss out. As far as i understand....

- Every two months there is a single tournament.
- Each tournament holds x teams where x is the greatest power of two (not greater than 64) that can be accomidated with the applicants
- All the applicants are sorted by TR, the highest get the places.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Unstoffe

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2008 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I've got a team on 150, but I applied to the Scheduled SMACK group with them - a few weeks ago now, I think they were just too late to make the cut for scheduled SMACK Vet IV and are now waiting for enough teams for V to start.
Question is, can I withdraw them from that and enter the tour instead?

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2008 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Unstoffe- as I understand it, each wednesday at midnight scheduled SMACKs are started where there are enough applicants and the remaining teams (eg in TR brackets without enough teams) are removed. IE you need to apply each week if you continue to not be put in one.

At least that's what it looks like for me with a few teams who didn't get a SMACK after applying never getting one out of the blue since.

As for the Tour, I'm looking forward to playing and have applied with some TR 145 CDwarves. Afraid to play another game with them in case they jump over 150! Presuming 'Capped at 150' means initially- ie the teams who progress will inevitably rise above that?
Unstoffe

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2008 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

That would make sense - but, if I go to apply to the group, the team isn't in the list, that would mean it's already applied wouldn't it?
Ah well, given their record pretty much consists of 'enter minor, get horribly mauled, play a recovery game or two, repeat', it probably isn't the end of the world Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2008 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

The tour certainly sounds interesting.
But what does Capped 150 TR mean? 150 at the beginning, or 150 for each game??
nin

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2008 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I supose that caped tr150 is for aplication, like in smacks

...and someone knows what are those points mentioned in the prices:
Quote:
PRIZES
Dynamic gold (This will alter, dependent on tournament size)Gold winnings per round:
8 teams (3 rounds) 5000 10000 20000
16 teams (4 rounds) 15000 15000 25000 50000
32 teams (5 rounds) 20000 25000 35000 50000 100000
64 teams (6 rounds) 15000 20000 25000 35000 50000 100000
and +1 FF to the tournament winner.
Tour points will be allocated as follows:
Winner 15 points.
Runner up 10 points
Losing Semi Finalist 5 points.
Points are allocated to the coach not the team

it's a ko tournament, so I can't wonder what are they for.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2008 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

It means the bigger the batter (cash wise).

Basicly you get the extra cash for each round you win.

Jump to: