41 coaches online • Server time: 17:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 01:37
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

It is an interesting idea. But i doubt we would see an existing major restricted in this way.

Maybe, though, the idea could be completely redrawn and fit in.

What about any minor winner is invited into a new 6th major. the 'Masters Invitational' or some such .

Bump the numbers to a 2 power, hand them all a randomly chosen TR100 team (and io mean all the same team) and Ko to get a winner.

Something like that could be fun.

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 02:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the original idea is close, but why not just put in a system where you get points for entering smacks and other majors, and points for winning in these tourneys, and more for winning the tourney itself.

Then seed the FC qualifiers by these points, and cut out applicants with less points before those with more. This means you could just build your team one day per year, but you might be bumped out of the tournament.
ProPain

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 02:10 Reply with quote Back to top

The idea that a team can sit for a whole year at its peak level, and enter into the FC as its only activity is what is concerning. Perhaps a certain level of activity would need to be met to count as "in competition" for qualifying. The fumbbl cup happens at the end of the year correct? So one game per fortnight on average before that wouldnt be too bad would it? roughly 20-22 games having to be completeed that year before the FC with the one team...? (obviosuly not ON a fortnightly schedual,, just as an average)

Shadows right about the TR situation, the teams you want to pull back into games dont need to secure a spot via minors etc, the ticket idea so far would only secure mid ranking or developing teams a spot with the hidden TR giants...

With the idea of a "active team" qualifying restircition, I would persoanlly put it at a 30 games minimum, where a legend smack counts as a total of 2 games minimum... Encouraging the team to stay in the public arena and to disuade once a week pairings developing between small groups. On such a public event, patterns of replay would be obvious... (remember the comparatively small number of teams over tr200 to teams under it, meaning some replay would HAVE to be acceptable)
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 02:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I would support the idea of TR100 stock teams handed out to participate, it would stress coaching more than lucky skill rolls/aging.

What I would like to see would be having a full variety of opponents. In this last FC, my rats had zero chance to going all the way, considering my games were:

Rd1: massive orcs
Rd2: monster chaos
Rd3: murderer chaos (too many cas taken to win the match)
Rd4: serial killer chaos (if I had somehow advanced to face them)
Rd5: yet more clawed chaos

...Are we seeing a trend here? Where are all the elves, the humans/norse/zons, the other rats? All I saw were chaos or orcs, with a few dwarves and chaos dwarf teams sprinkled here or there. Very few other races even bothered to apply this year, b/c with a 7-rd ko tourney, the lower-av teams simply take too great a pounding to remain competitive as the rounds start to add up.

If there was a cap on how many of a certain race could show, you'd keep a variety of opposition going. I'm not suggesting requiring equal numbers of all races...first, some races don't have enough teams at that TR; second, I understand how easily elves could dominate the field if they all knocked out all the chaos/dwarf/basher teams in the first round. But what if we said that no more than 20% of the races in a major could be chaos, no more than 20% could be orcs, etc? The exact percentage could be debated, but this way we don't end up with over 2/3 of the entrants either orc/chaos, giving a fighting chance for other races to advance and potentially not face a killer squad every single round. But at the same time a high enough percentage would mean a bunch of the killer chaos could still apply, potentially outnumbering the weakling elves if only a few elves apply.

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 02:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally find it amazing that the rules were written to allow chosen mutations... I would have expected you choose mutation if you want ti, but get a random... its this that makes chaos so popular... Orcs are beatable too, but meeting killer chaos, and then orcs, and then killer chaos again IS rediculous... even if you won every game, chances are you're going to meet another killer chaos or orc in the very finals right? AFK Eagle got that perfectly right... the rounds are too long....

Perhaps the first qualifiers should happen earlier? and allow some rebuilding time before a 2nd qualifying section... and then a little rebuilding before the finals? the 2nd and 3rd draw sheet would need to be kept empty untill the prep times are concluded tho...
ProPain

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 03:07 Reply with quote Back to top

DeckerCKY has an insteresting point there... It would be interesting to see the win/loss record of the huge tr teams tat auto accept into majors... If they dont display a solid record of wins, do they really have a right to be in the majors? Need to investigate that a little bit.
Kill-Kill

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 03:21 Reply with quote Back to top

You DO get rebuilding time between the Quali's and the WO itself, just not a full week. From the time your game is played until the WO is set up you can recover.

Sarge Scatter, you and AFK should get along famously :-p

But you made up the reasons to fight
Brad

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 04:27 Reply with quote Back to top

What if the TR / CRs are still used for acceptance into the Majors, but your Seeding within the tourney (or its qualifiers) is made on how many minors you've won since the last major (or since the last WO/ whatever major tourney). Could be an incentive for the big teams to play some smacks / minors to give themselves a better seeding.

If you were to seed by Minors won then TR, you would have Strong, minor tourney experienced teams being matched up against the lower end TR, no experience teams in the first rounds, and the Strong but inexperienced being matched up against weaker, but minor tourney played teams.

Would be an incentive for the top end teams to score some 'minor points', to all but guarantee a walkover in the first few rounds and for any of the lower teams to score at least one 'minor point' so they dont get fed to the uber teams in the first round.

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 04:54 Reply with quote Back to top

the WO is only a few rounds isnt it? that was in reference to a 7 round FC... perhaps 2 round could happen then a week recover min, then 2 rounds thena week recovery MIN.... then the final 3 rounds.
JoseBagg

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 05:08 Reply with quote Back to top

BEST IDEA EVER!!!

This and a black box and the tourney's will actually mean something.
Tor_AlKir

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 05:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the win to be in and awarding a points value to it that can be used for seeding. Garner ispiration from the NCAA basketball tourney.
ProPain

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 05:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Julia, with so much added oppinions here, sometime soon would be great if you reposted an updated suggestion. (use this tread) It sut helps to solidify some movement rather then let every idea trickle off into obscurity... lets see what we have that solid to work with.
Idolen

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 09:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like alot of the ideas posted here are summed up in the Fumbbl tour... only powergaming you can do there are to get a team to TR 150 and then all bets are off... a point system from the tour to get some coaches to clash in a larger than minor tournament at the end of the year might be cool. Say you also could get points to participate by playing smacks and other minors... And maybe in that tourny you get to play with a random tr 100 team. Price: 5 points of CR or maybe something to give a team of your choice in R. ( If you don't like the flings you were forced to play with Smile )

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 09:44 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle wrote:

If there was a cap on how many of a certain race could show...

Yeah, but the classic counter-argument to that is that these things are full of the teams that you mention for the reason they're the best at that TR. Chaos/Orcs/Elves and a few Dorf/CDs maybe boring - but if you capped these teams such that the other teams were better represented, all you do is make the life of the Orcs and Chaos that made the cut that much easier when drawn against the weaker races.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2008 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

brad...the fault in that logic...

how many coaches here do you really think care about where they're seeded?

i've played in a boatload of tourneys, and never once have i cared about how i'm seeded...granted i've been bummed about a bad draw, but that happens to everyone, and the potential for a bad draw is just as possible with modified seeding...

--j

ImageImage
 Jump to: