56 coaches online • Server time: 22:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think of the changes?
Fantastic! Just what I've been waiting for!
48%
 48%  [ 26 ]
Good start... but still needs some work.
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
Meh. My goals are different anyways.
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Bad... I see big problems on the horizon!
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Ugh! Back to the ol' drawing board with you!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wait! How many points for a PIE???
16%
 16%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 54

koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2008 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
pizzamogul wrote:
Another concern is the thought that 'needing to play >155 CR opponents to get baseline points' may turn off newer or "lower ranked" coaches. I hope that isn't the case and that the new format will offer them more opportunity to climb the standings, not less.

Could switch it to: 'Must play coaches higher than CR 155 to get the bonus - unless your own CR is less than 155, in which case you may get the bonus for any coach with a higher CR than your own.'

I don't know exactly how Rijssiej's program works, but I would think it could handle that - especially as all match reports record CR values at time of play these days.

Too easy to break. Just drop your CR to 149 and pick all those juicy cherries.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2008 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

'Just' drop your CR isn't so easy … and every time you win (which you need to to gain max points) it goes back up again.
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2008 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
koadah wrote:

'Just' drop your CR isn't so easy … and every time you win (which you need to to gain max points) it goes back up again.

You don't have to win your all non ELF games. just take your zons on a dwarf hunt Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2008 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Easy to break? You aren't allowed to try to lose, it's in fumbbl rules. Pac's suggestions make perfect sense to me.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2008 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking as someone who never has been an ELF-player, and thus lacking practical experience of these issues: these changes sound really nice, and I will most likely join. I doubt it will solve all of the problems inherent in a group like this, but it surely is a great start!
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2008 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Dannyboy wrote:
Easy to break? You aren't allowed to try to lose, it's in fumbbl rules. Pac's suggestions make perfect sense to me.

accepting tough games is not playing to lose.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2008 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:

As an addition; I've always thought there should be a bonus for a team submitting their ELF season as consecutive games. i.e, if a team can point to a 10 game block (previously, there were 5 catagories, so 10 games, right? I really didn't take that much notice! Very Happy) in their schedule and say "I submit my season as that block", their score could perhaps be increased by 15%? Of course, Rizzle's program might struggle with that, but I always liked the idea of a team not having multiple goes at Chaos (say) just to squeeze out that little bit extra. It's also extra incentive to those of us that don't really have the time to complete a season and make sure we get wins everywhere to try and be #1.

This sounds tough to work out but also like a really good idea.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2008 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
pac wrote:
koadah wrote:

You don't have to win your all non ELF games. just take your zons on a dwarf hunt Wink

Of course someone could do this - just as they could play only CR 155.01 coaches.

The idea is not to make the system fool-proof, but to make abuse of it more trouble than it's worth.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2008 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
pac wrote:
koadah wrote:

Having had a habit of both playing tough games (in general) and having taken my flings on a dwarf hunt.... both send your CR up Sad

I think its a potential exploit but you have to sacrifice alot while risking being banned (if you really wanna grind it down). Remember that the tougher your games are.... the less CR you lose when you lose (and the more you gain when it all goes wrong).

Especially considering that the kind of people who look to exploit it will be people that cherrypick in the first place I dont think it will be a fun process for them... and if it encourages them to accept tough games alot in the first place... I can sleep at night Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2008 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
koadah wrote:
pac wrote:
koadah wrote:

Of course someone could do this - just as they could play only CR 155.01 coaches.

The idea is not to make the system fool-proof, but to make abuse of it more trouble than it's worth.

Yes but it's much easier to find ripe cherries at 150 than 155.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2008 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
pac wrote:
koadah wrote:
pac wrote:
koadah wrote:

Yes but it's much easier to find ripe cherries at 150 than 155.

I never imagined I'd find myself saying this but … See SillySod's arguments above. Crying or Very sad
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2008 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Some of us don't need particularly hard games to lose Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2008 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Some of us don't need particularly hard games to lose Smile

The trouble is that if you win just one.... that cancels out alot of dismal failures.

Kryten

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2008 - 02:48
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

On the subject of other elves, I think we should leave them in. Playing against elves requires particular strategies and skills that aren't required against most teams, and I think that adds to the flavor - we play against any race.
Tophat

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2008 - 03:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Kryten wrote:
On the subject of other elves, I think we should leave them in. Playing against elves requires particular strategies and skills that aren't required against most teams, and I think that adds to the flavor - we play against any race.

I agree with this , its also nice to have some recovery in between when you have 9 players when you can still look for a game where you can try andget some elf points