54 coaches online • Server time: 23:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I saw the orc vs zon game yesterday. It was Tathar's zons wasnt it? The concession was pretty lame but he had pretty much zero chance of winning that game before it started. I think Tathar has exposed a deep flaw in a TR125 tournament (and probably a TR100 tourney)..... that is that amazons get blitzers for 10TR.... or they get linemen with block for approx TR6. The difference in game is zero so effectively Tathar has managed to fit an average TR150 team (maybe lacking in guard) into a TR125 tournament. I'll be amazed if he dosent win, especially after this concession.

Can anything be done about it? No idea but I wish there was some kind of fix available.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't mean.... Someone is POWERGAMING? In [R]?!?!

Zomg.

Well, this is new!

Leave him be, if you stop that practice, you have to stop all Zombie hire SMACK teams, birthday pimped Major teams, it will never end. The system we have allows and almost encourages this, so you just have to live with it. Smile
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, powergaming is nothing new but that team is way beyond the normal level of powergaming.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
pac

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Vanguard wrote:
just to clear it out; dont allow any concedes in no game at all, and no discussion will be.

Yes, that's been my approach in tournaments I've run. Concessions are treated in the same way as not turning up to play at all.

However, as far as the official rules go, we can only work with what we've got at present.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it would be better to treat the concession as a normal win if possible.

i.e. keep your SPPs and cash but don't get the opponents cash & MVP.

But I suppose that is not LRB.

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
I saw the orc vs zon game yesterday. It was Tathar's zons wasnt it? The concession was pretty lame but he had pretty much zero chance of winning that game before it started. I think Tathar has exposed a deep flaw in a TR125 tournament (and probably a TR100 tourney)..... that is that amazons get blitzers for 10TR.... or they get linemen with block for approx TR6. The difference in game is zero so effectively Tathar has managed to fit an average TR150 team (maybe lacking in guard) into a TR125 tournament. I'll be amazed if he dosent win, especially after this concession.

Can anything be done about it? No idea but I wish there was some kind of fix available.

no worries, I've spoted a flaw on amazon powergaming, if this Amazons face Dwarves, they'll get some damage, if they face Wood Elves, they can lose even with blodge
(still this concesion can have too much impact)

It's true, Amazons are unbalanced, but have weacknesses.
On other TR brackets, the unbalance goes to other races.
The nice thing is that playing against the ods is not completly doomed but challenging
KenThis

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to get into the debate late and without reading through previous posts.
But having just myself conceded during the final of a tournament I felt I had a unique viewpoint.

I play fumbbl because it is Escapism Leisuretime. Because it is Fun.
This wasn't Fun,
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2111184
on the replay i stopped counting how many 1's I rolled halfway through the first half.

I know we have the concession rule for a reason.
But for all the baying for BLOODbowl and that they are only pixels
We play to have fun.
Forcing someone to do anything that they are not enjoying is sadistic.
Therefore just remember if someone concedes whether due to rl concerns, not liking the opponent, or their 0spp zombie has just been badly hurt.

For them it has stopped being fun.
So accept the FF the money the extra MVP the win and wish them well and move on.

As for it not being fair. Thats what tournaments are like.
Like Life. Not Fair.
No-one complains that it wasn't fair that the chaos side losing 3-0 fouled 3 woodelfs to death. and that now the woodelf team has less chance in the next round.
So is it only jealousy that makes us moan when our next opponents hugely benefit from a concede just before we play them.

Why not make turn that frown upside down and force the inflated opponents to concede so that we get the benefits next match.
Cos thats Bloodbowl. And thats Nuffle. And Thats Fun.
And it ain't Fair..
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
He got no response, and his opponent didn't speed up, so I guess he had to concede for RL reasons.

If you start a game you need to have enough time to finish it. Even if he was taking 4 minutes every turn, theres no reason he didnt have any more time after just 4 turns.

Intentionally playing slowly is agains tthe rules too, so dont concede.
pac

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

KenThis wrote:
Like Life. Not Fair.

This is not real life. We can do better here. Wink

When you sign up to a tournament, you make a commitment. It is not unreasonable to expect coaches to live up to that commitment. If you're worried that at some point a tournament might stop being 'fun' for you, don't join it.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

The point where it isnt fun for you and you concede.... you just spoilt the fun of pretty much every other player who meets that team in the tournament.

nin, I know that zons can come afoul of dwarfs..... but they're a pretty strong roster before cheesemongering. When I said that this was above and beyond normal powergaming advantages I meant it, woodies will really struggle against those zons and even dwarfs will meet their match....

clarkin

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

totally agree with sillysod here. concessions in tournaments make it unfair for the winning team's future opponents. Example the amazons from the OP. So what if it was a difficult game? At least try and take some out / try your best to win - you never know!

And kenthis, while the above isn't an issue in your concession as it was a final I think you are a big baby for conceding then, having read the comments (though not watched replay yet). And your opponents comments were perfectly fine, the only person who sounds like a pain is you.
lobocamaleon

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

To those who concede (no one special in mind) - why not just play the game to the end! While your opponent takes time to play, do something useful - do the dishes, complain about your bad luck in a long blog entry or put on silly hats and take pictures. Then, when its your turn, play fast and before you know it the game will have ended, and you wont have spoilt the fun for so many others...

To Kenthis - I watched the replay and though i didnt count every one or every two or three etc, it didnt seem to be that many. Sure, you were outmanned; sure, it was a final, but still, you had one elf on the SI bench, rest were badly hurt. And as for the fouling - you stalled, he fouled, rightfully so!
clarkin

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

just watched the replay. you conceded at half time when it was 2-2. you had stalled for a few turns before going 2-1 ahead and your opponent chose to hurt your players until you scored (a very good anti-stall tactic). This left you with 7 to set up for the last few turns and when your blitz failed on his catcher (a 1 on GFI with no rerolls since your team only had 2, hardly THAT unusual) he was able to make it 2-2 for half time. When you conceded you had 6 elves set up and a whole half to play. Yes you probably would have lost but it was far from over and with elves it's possible you could have won it, i've seen it happen with less players than that.

Basically, I really don't agree with your reasons for conceding nor with your comments to your opponent after.
Meech

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

KenThis: What Lobocamaleon said about your game. I watched the replay too. Your opponent did what he needed to. Your match report is rude. Suck it up and take that loss for what it was.

Concessions: Gimme a break, the rule was put into place to prevent coaches from building teams using the concession rule. It sucks that people are so lame that Christer felt the need to put this rule into place. It is stupid that if someone wants to concede they have to look at "Concessions Rules: Guidelines to let you know if your game is suck enough"

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Tbh, i think most ppl concede when they see no point in playing on and wasting their time on something that is only iritating them; yes it is iritating to do so in a tournament, but in the same time i can understand it. As for KenThis case, playing nearly 1:2 is pointless and he would only destroy his team further... That doesnt entitle him to those disgusting comments he wrote at any rate tho.
 Jump to: