57 coaches online • Server time: 21:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Chewie

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
The real prize, in the end, has to be kudos. The question is whether it's possible to create an [L] tournament that has enough to really register.

I don't think that would be too much of a problem, to be honest... i think the Waynes World 2 adage applies here: "If you build it, they will come".

Personally speaking, winners of [L]eagues and [L] cups get more Kudos in my eyes than a Smack winner, as you know that no shortcuts have been taken by the team on the way there.

I guess that it depends on who you are going to be pitching this to (existing [L] players/the [R] tourney crowd/everyone else), and the numbers of coaches that you'd be looking to cater to.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Transfers from R to L would be no problem, if you can easily identify the pimped teams to keep them barred from TR-bracket knock outs. Otherwise the staff has much work to sort them out.

Arktoris

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

my two cents:

re-unify U and L and keep the name "League" division
allow R to L transfers
all division transfers are noted on the team page (just like the stunty 'pre-stunty reform 2007' message)
merge Ladder and Faction into Ranked. they would become something your team can voluntarily participate in.

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
There have been a number of knocks to user run events in my time on site.

Indeed, the site development has over the years been one of the biggest hills to climb and it is constantly growing. Lots of different changes have made it harder to run user leagues. Everything seems to focus only on [R] nowadays. As for the original question, the answer is yes, but it has become more and more difficult.
pac

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2008 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
re-unify U and L and keep the name "League" division
allow R to L transfers
all division transfers are noted on the team page (just like the stunty 'pre-stunty reform 2007' message)

As I said before, I don't put much faith in changes being made to the site, but I like these suggestions very much.

Quote:
merge Ladder and Faction into Ranked. they would become something your team can voluntarily participate in.

Ladder is already dead. As for Faction … Maybe better just not to touch it? Wink
clarkin

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
I am definitely NOT disenchanted with [R]. The new tournaments are terrific!

I think that the Fumbbl Cup is awesome. Other than that I will be sticking to Minors.

I don't see why we need five Majors. Four and a TR225 or TR100 no progression would be great IMO.

Some advertising space for user run leagues would be great!!!!!!!!

Some way to advertise Scheduled Smacks would be good too. And be able to see how many teams have applied and remove your team from the waiting list.

Just wanted to reiterate what koadah has said, agree with everything here:
- really like [R] as it is now
- majors are great fun, no matter if they are full of 'birthday' teams (a once off event), or ludicrously overpowered teams
- minors are brilliant and with capped TR you get a mix of 'make the best team possible at that TR' and casual teams
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I am one of the coaches who think majors are unbalanced by the birthday (no aging, no cas on top of SFC's for multi games). I also think concessions unbalance limited TR tournaments which is unfair for all other coaches concerned.

However, I do still enjoy [R] tournaments greatly, and play in capped TR Smacks and SFC as well as XFL's.

The on thing I love about [R] tourneys is I can play with a team I have played a long time, take it into a tournament, then when the tournament is finished, I can carry on playing that team.

I find with [L] that when a team finishes a tournament, there is nowhere for it to go, except the delete button.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:
Transfers from R to L would be no problem, if you can easily identify the pimped teams to keep them barred from TR-bracket knock outs. Otherwise the staff has much work to sort them out.

Pimped teams?

Anyone could trim down a 200+ TR team for a 175TR tournament for the same effect.

If you are worried you could impose a TR AND TS limit.

More [L] activity at higher TR would be an improvement. The more teams/coaches in the division the more games for everyone. The pimped teams would not be such a problem if our teams could get games outside of tournaments.

Concessions could be a problem. If you get drawn against a coach on a very different timezone you may only get one shot at playing the game. If the game gets interrupted your chances of resuming later (and before the deadline) could be slim.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Although im relatively new to fumbbl the majors seem really cool due to stuff like the actual awards for winning but it does seem that it is a somewhat "l33t" tournement. In that only the best of the best have a chance, true in the real world this would be the case. The strongest best teams would be the ones to compete.
In some way the majors are broken but in others they are perfectly fine....

Rather than change the majors I think a re-vamp of the minors is needed. I personally am not interested in playing SMacks or the xenophobic games as I normally dont like mirror matches.

Maybe add a few tourneys for maxed out TR which have a bit of the element of a big tourney.
EG take football. (English)
As cups go you have league ( skill / TR ) based tourneys and then you have the FA Cup which everyone from Man Utd - Blyth Spartans get to play in.

Maybe spice up the minors ??? Or add a Grotty Little Tourney for the "Next up and comer" ?

so to conlude my ramblings..

Spice up the Minors !
Gary_Gygax

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to have a limit for the team treasury when you start a Major. Something like 100.000 gold max.
I've seen orc teams, chaos or khemri with 300.000 or more in the bank, playing ALWAYS with the star (or even 2 stars) and wizard.
That sucks in my opinion.

Last edited by Gary_Gygax on %b %12, %2008 - %12:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
Arcon

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
CircularLogic wrote:
Well.. I would be up to give my 'King of the Hill' Challenge another chance, in order to increase the number of available formats.

Rawr! I was winning that until you disappeared!!!! Mutter mutter.

THAT was not decided yet!
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Gary_Gygax wrote:
I'd like to have a limit for the team treasury when you start a Major. Something like 100.000 gold max.
I've seen orc teams, chaos or khemri with 300.000 or more in the bank, playing ALWAYS with the star (or even 2 stars) and wizard.
That sucks in my opinion.

The always-have-a-wiz thing sucks even more in the hands of elves. It is a match winner, then.

The constant presence of a Wizard is the reason why no khemri team will EVER win a Major, for example.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst wrote:
Although im relatively new to fumbbl the majors seem really cool due to stuff like the actual awards for winning but it does seem that it is a somewhat "l33t" tournement. In that only the best of the best have a chance, true in the real world this would be the case. The strongest best teams would be the ones to compete.
In some way the majors are broken but in others they are perfectly fine....

Rather than change the majors I think a re-vamp of the minors is needed. I personally am not interested in playing SMacks or the xenophobic games as I normally dont like mirror matches.

Maybe add a few tourneys for maxed out TR which have a bit of the element of a big tourney.
EG take football. (English)
As cups go you have league ( skill / TR ) based tourneys and then you have the FA Cup which everyone from Man Utd - Blyth Spartans get to play in.

Maybe spice up the minors ??? Or add a Grotty Little Tourney for the "Next up and comer" ?

so to conlude my ramblings..

Spice up the Minors !

I think that the minors are fine.

The Fumbbl Cup is now much like the FA Cup and that is why it was so popular last year. It had 512 teams to get any bigger it would need 1024.
I don't know how much of an administrative headache it was.

I don't think that there is room in the calendar for another huge tournament which is why I suggested changing one of the Majors. The 5th uncapped Major was added after a campaign for a capped Major.
Shocked

My gripe with the Majors is that they favour elite teams rather than coaches. i.e. A top coach will not have a reasonable chance of winning if they don't have the time to prepare a top team. In such a big tournament the lower TR teams will start running short of players and money.

Cap one at 225 or 200TR and many more coaches have a chance to go all the way.

As if the Fumbbl Cup wasn't big enough...

Could we get to 640 or 768 teams by having a qualifying round? Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Chewie wrote:
pac wrote:
The real prize, in the end, has to be kudos. The question is whether it's possible to create an [L] tournament that has enough to really register.

I don't think that would be too much of a problem, to be honest... i think the Waynes World 2 adage applies here: "If you build it, they will come".

Personally speaking, winners of [L]eagues and [L] cups get more Kudos in my eyes than a Smack winner, as you know that no shortcuts have been taken by the team on the way there.

Kudos is a pretty subjective thing. I'll keep to my non-rant promise, but if Borgen continues on his run and takes out the WIL Premiership with Norse of all things, he will rate highly on my 'Damn that's impressive' meter. I'm not sure how many teams that make latter stages of Majors rate highly on that scale, due to the factors others have already discussed. However, I'll bet a decent sum of money that the overriding opinion on-site is 'Meh, it's only [L], real glory and teams are in [R]'. And to change that view shared by the many, this would have to be a super-stellar idea pac has come up with, as we'd have to fight both those opinions <i>and</i> the factors that fight [L] already talked about in terms of advertising, etc.

Some kind of Champion's League between [L] high flyers would be in that kudos league for my money, but pac's tried and not gotten that far with that in the past. Will be interesting to see where he's going. Wink

And one point with the Majors, I agree in the most part with Jan's post. I've only entered one seriously in my two years on site (I considered good CD's a serious FC entry this year, it's not a race that could be deemed serious normally), but I've decided I will make a serious attempt at one in the near future (not the UI, too close). To achieve this, I've retired a lot of teams, and will make my [R] games, limited as they are by RL, count towards this goal. I wonder if it will be more or less fun than using [R] as a recreational division? Should be interesting to find out.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

To me, it's not a matter of coolness. I could well move the Hellfish to L or U, for all I care.

Thing is, U is dead. And L forces me to play one game every week, or two weeks, or whatever, and I honestly don't know if I can guarantee that committement.

R, on the other hand, is perfect for Casual play. I can enter gamefinder and find a game whenever I want in 1 minute.
But I see where you're coming from, Purplegoo.
Probably, I should start considering myself a semi-user of Fumbbl, considering I spend more than 90% of my time chatting on the forum, but sadly very little time playing...