33 coaches online • Server time: 11:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

In [L] we used to have an active group called BBVets. It was for all teams who have played at least one tournament prior to joining. In other words, a place where your team can live on/between tournaments and get games. The group died off but could be resurrected especially now that there's a market for it's purpose...or a new group created.

With good enough story lines, fluff reports, graphics designs, and most of all, a moderator with a fun personality, an L group for post tournament teams could survive.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
koadah wrote:
TR200 forget it. Many top coaches won't have a competitive team that they want to use.
There goes your kudos straight away. If the big name coaches are not there then it's not a big tournament.

Not quite true. Those who refuse are those who like uberteams (which LRB4 wasn't meant for anyway) and/or broken or easy matchups, with very few exceptions. The "cool" top coaches would just build a team in a couple days for that TR, and compete. And voilĂ , we would have a nice environment with no lamers but only the truly competitive big ones. Exactly what we would love to see.

The difficult part of this cunning plan, of course, is marketing Very Happy

I would have thought that the people who could build a team from TR100 to TR200 in a couple of days in [L]eague division would be the same people who would have uber teams. Smile

I could join at TR200 straight away with an orc team but I don't want to use orcs. If a TR200 tournament was full of TR160-170 teams I'd consider it a bit lightweight. Building teams in [L] can be a slow business.

I wouldn't consider someone a lamer for bringing a heavyweight team if that is what the rules allow. If the other coaches are not serious about winning then again, is it a 'big' tournament? I am more interested in having rules that promote coaching ability rather than team building ability and giving more coaches a fair chance.

Edit: you dont see many elf teams in TR200 [L] KOs. It's not so much fun with out them.

pac wrote:
Yep, the OCCS has been in my mind here.

The main thing I would note about it is that it fits into the category mentioned earlier of [L] tournaments which run to schedules over relatively long periods. There are a lot of coaches (who play an awful lot of games) for whom this is not attractive.

OCCS tournaments usually last one month with one game a week. You are not causing any problems if you don't play every month.

I think that the problem is more that when you can't play a tournament or lose in the first round there are not many [L] 'open' games to be had. That is where [R] comes in.

Last edited by koadah on %b %12, %2008 - %16:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
pac

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
pac wrote:

The main thing I would note about it is that it fits into the category mentioned earlier of [L] tournaments which run to schedules over relatively long periods. There are a lot of coaches (who play an awful lot of games) for whom this is not attractive.

OCCS tournaments usually last one month with one game a week.

Which compared to instants is a long-running commitment. There are a lot of coaches (like Jan) who might be able to play the occasional Smack, but can't make commitments over long periods of time. [L] doesn't have much that caters to that.

(Edit: Maybe I just needed to be clearer about what I meant by 'relatively long periods'. But, yes, that includes a month at a game per week. Smile)
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
koadah wrote:
pac wrote:

OCCS tournaments usually last one month with one game a week.

Which compared to instants is a long-running commitment. There are a lot of coaches (like Jan) who might be able to play the occasional Smack, but can't make commitments over long periods of time. [L] doesn't have much that caters to that.

(Edit: Maybe I just needed to be clearer about what I meant by 'relatively long periods'. But, yes, that includes a month at a game per week. Smile)

Aah yes. You had thrown in a lot of ideas there. Smile

I think that smacks should stay in [R] maybe with more helpers.
By doing that in [L] you are reducing the pool of available teams/coaches.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Gary_Gygax wrote:
I'd like to have a limit for the team treasury when you start a Major. Something like 100.000 gold max.
I've seen orc teams, chaos or khemri with 300.000 or more in the bank, playing ALWAYS with the star (or even 2 stars) and wizard.
That sucks in my opinion.

Does it suck more or less than a human team drawing your elves.... and not even standing a chance because they werent able to buy stars? You cant argue for the removal of cash without the removal of ridiculously high TR teams, all you are doing is shifting the dynamic. TR Capping would deal with the cash issue very nicely though.

Remember that cash and the players are one entity.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I really, really like the new minors and the tour. I think I still like the XFLs more due to their unique nature and watching the skaven XFL recently has given me a burning desire to own a solid skaven team.

The minors are new but dont really need spicing up, they already hand you lots of cash and some FF if you win and I dont see the popularity dying any time soon.

koadah wrote:
As if the Fumbbl Cup wasn't big enough...

Could we get to 640 or 768 teams by having a qualifying round? Smile

At the time I did suggest that they should take all applicants and have an extra round where the highest TR teams automatically get a free ticket through the first round. I still think that could work out cool Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 17:14 Reply with quote Back to top

You're ahead of your time SS Smile

I'm sure you maths guys would enjoy figuring out how to best accommodate all all the teams.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
At the time I did suggest that they should take all applicants and have an extra round where the highest TR teams automatically get a free ticket through the first round. I still think that could work out cool Smile

This is a very nice idea for the Fumbbl Cup, essentially a qualifying round. Naturally people will gripe that round 2 = a much harder matchup compared to that qual round but there ya go Smile
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

We have to also bear in mind, that not all [L] tournaments run smoothly either.

If anything was to be created in [L] then I would suggest it have enough admins, so that the weight of the tourney(s) does not fall apon one person.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
I'm sure you maths guys would enjoy figuring out how to best accommodate all all the teams.

We would, alas we dont control FUMMBL yet Smile

Tournaments and systems here are excellent but you cant help that tiny nagging feeling that they arent optimum.

Joul_Ironhand

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:

Do you mean, like a pre-qualification phase where the lesser teams fight it out before the big teams get involved? (looking at the FA cup as an example here)
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Sort of... but working as a single round. As a very small scale example consider 6 teams: TR 129, 134, 178, 207, 251, 280.

The next power of two after 6 is 8 (2^3) so form an 8 team tournament. However, two teams will get a free ticket to the next round. Rather than completely randomly seeding it, the highest TR teams are automatically paired with tourney fillers (free slots). The rest of the teams are then randomly paired up. Now each pair is randomly placed into the tournament. So with the example....

280, 251 are paired with filler teams, the rest are randomly matched up.... maybe 207 vs 129 and 178 vs 134. These pairs are then randomly sorted into a regular KO tounament. I could provide a diagram but you can't really draw squares and arrows and stuff in a forum post and I'm not going through the business of uploading a picture.

maxlongstreet

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a suggestion that would make me far more interested in Smacks: Race restrictions. My experience with them is that 90% of the teams in them are bashy. Inside of this environment, it's extremely hard to play a finesse team. Everyone saves their boring Khemri team that no one will play in open ranked for smacks. I would be into smacks if they were truly diverse fumbbl tournaments, not just khemri/orc/dwarf/undead fests.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Aw man! Don't encourage him

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

maxlongstreet wrote:
I have a suggestion that would make me far more interested in Smacks: Race restrictions. My experience with them is that 90% of the teams in them are bashy. Inside of this environment, it's extremely hard to play a finesse team. Everyone saves their boring Khemri team that no one will play in open ranked for smacks. I would be into smacks if they were truly diverse fumbbl tournaments, not just khemri/orc/dwarf/undead fests.

I've noticed more than half the smack schedule teams tend to be undead types...so now I bring in "Zara" ready teams Very Happy

If my opponent isn't undead but a dwarf team, then I spend the Zara money on a wizard, which tends to even things up.
 Jump to: