23 coaches online • Server time: 01:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Math?goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
floyd-pinkerton

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Vol wrote:
I vote for the ability to blacklist certain coaches or teams in the Blackbox. The scheduler would avoid scheduling a match with anyone/anyteam on your blacklist.

I just had a match with a coach that built a team that has no desire in winning. His team isn't one that anyone would enter into a league or a tournament. I don't mind people experimenting with team configurations. I'm experimenting with races I've never coached. I've been against a team that is swearing off re-rolls in the hope it will improve his coaching.

But this team was just silly. It has just one goal, to break squishy teams. He didn't break mine, but he also didn't have a solid chance at scoring. He didn't care to try to win. I just don't get it and would rather not waste my time playing against him again.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your point Confused

Killing each other is half the game, literally- BLOODbowl

If you can't stand nambypamby elves being crushed beneath a tide of brute force, I don't know what attracted you to this game in the first place and not something more like chess.
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing
we have a winner Very Happy

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay. I guess I need to elaborate on this one.

I hate cherrypicking. I really do. I'd rather play (with my skaven) against bashers only (which is close to what has happened) than play against a single cherrypicked elfie team and/or get games only when I agree to be the pick.

Leave the box alone, foul picker!

Maybe we need a "Kids box" for those who dont like to play rough?
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

floyd-pinkerton wrote:
Killing each other is half the game, literally- BLOODbowl

What the hell is going on?! This is the 2nd time today someone has said that lame line. Usually it just comes around once every few months... It feels like the worlds RNG just got borken. Happy now? You broke reality!

On the other hand it does watermark this thread as a potential classic.

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

paulhicks wrote:
we have a winner

I'm just astonished it took 11 pages. We all deserve great credit for our restraint!
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

a blackbox blacklist would defeat the entire point. he said, as everyone else has said...

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
ImageImageImage

Some have them.... some don't.

__Synn
**good to finally put this flamethrower to use....

cholesterine?

Gatts

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I havent played more than some 20 Box games and I have yet to run into the aforementioned player
or anyone else guilty of blatantly nor trying to win.

Actually in all my years here on fumbbl Ive only ever encountered one person who didnt try to win the game,
this was in R and I could easily avoid him in the future. Things is that I love B and want to play there from now on.
And I sont like the BBR or what's its name and I think that any modification that involves increasing its impact on the
games the box will hand us is a bad idea, since I, by virtue of the teams i choose to coach often cause less cas then my
opponents this would lead to me getting easier games in the box and i really dont want that.

I am also opposed to a Blacklist in the box (the blackblacklist does however have a nice ring to it) but this is mostly
cause I think that a blacklist would be a very "negative" meassure that I perhaps idealistically thought/hoped we could do without.

I know however that if i chance upon someone who in a very obvious manner decided to let me win the game while achieving some selfdefined goal
of his own making (say for example arranging his players in funny patterns on the field) I would be pretty upset, Id go ahead, win the game and hope i never was paired against that player again.
If I was, hoever, I would ask him if he still intended to play the game according to his own "ideas" and if such were the case I would immediatly conceed the game.
I know that this might be considered a unlawful concession or some such, but if so that is a battle I will fight when that time comes. I consider my free time to be quite valuable and I have no desire to waste it on a solitair game of BB.

Having said all that feel free to bash me foul me with your 9dp team, crowdpush me till turn 16 and beyond, but please have the decency to atleast play the same game I am playing while yo do it Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Sarganius wrote:
Blackbox is about being forced to play anyone. That means jerks, foulers, stallers, swearers (ME!!!), whingers (ME AGAIN!!!) bashers, and everything else under the sun.

The sooner you accept this the easier [B] will be for you... or back to ranked!

I respectfully disagree with this:

Please do remember that swearing is against the rules of the site. I often have one of my kids with me when i play (3, 5 or 6 year old) - they are starting to learn how to read...I know I am not alone. If someone is swearing and my kids are with me, I just ask politely for them to please stop. However, a good thing for everyone to remember (me included) that our language should only be the most polite when we are playing.

I do not care what tactics someone uses, but the method of interaction should be polite at all times.
Alacran

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Alacran wrote:
If everyone blacklisted the same guy, wouldn't that say something about that guy? Of all the coaches on Fumbbl, 'that guy' is the one that no one wants to play? Are you seriously considering that a valid counter-argument?

If someone really is hated by everyone on FUMBBL, he has probably broken a rule or two. Reporting that (as you point out further on) is a better way of dealing with them than ostracism.

Quote:
I can think of one game where the guy fouled me the final 3 turns of the game instead of scoring the tieing touchdown. 'That guy' is a jerk, and it is because of 'that guy' and teams like 'that guy's' team that have dampened my spirits for Blackbox.

Perhaps 'that guy's' thinking was: my opponent can score easily in two or three turns. If I score in Turn 5 or 6 he will probably win. I will score in Turn 8 and take the draw. In the mean time … let's kill some stuff. Twisted Evil

Nope. By the time turn 8 of the second half rolled around he was still on his half of the pitch. He was there because my remaining couple guys were running from him. Good try though. I've played this game long enough to know when someone is stalling and when someone TELLS YOU THAT THEY WANT YOUR TEAM TO DIE. I capitalized that so that there is no confusion.
Pro511

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

How big a problem is this?

Because if we need to come up with 11 page thread on two or three jerks, then the terrorists have won.

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Alacran wrote:
Nope. By the time turn 8 of the second half rolled around he was still on his half of the pitch. He was there because my remaining couple guys were running from him. Good try though. I've played this game long enough to know when someone is stalling and when someone TELLS YOU THAT THEY WANT YOUR TEAM TO DIE. I capitalized that so that there is no confusion.

Hmm, I can only find one [B] game where a team of yours suffered a large number of fouls and I have to say it fits better with my guess than it does with your description.

Could you link the game you mean? (Privately if you'd rather not here.)
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is my match against him. I lucked out.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=2431482
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think a killer team helps in blackbox. It may lower your BR, but would higher your BBR. Thought not of equal weight, I think Christer did say this is one of the things he was going to try to avoid. Avoiding something of a downward spiral that would help bashy teams.
nin

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2008 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

What's all that fuss?
The sugestion of this thread headpost is bad because it could easily cause far more problems that it would solve.

This doesn't make this coach-with-a-team-tat-doesn't-play-to-win any less of a jerk that may be causing problems (abusing the sistem).

...may be Christer can take this into account (that's the reason for alpha, to solve problems)
...or may be someone makes a good sugestion
But 11 pages and "BLOODBowl" or "Balls" argumentations seems like a bit excesive.
 Jump to: