49 coaches online • Server time: 23:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Bruno

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2003 - 00:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, just stumbled upon the question, where is the difference between rigged games and just stupid plays? =)
I was, as usual, browsing through the latest commented games, when a game struck my attention, a game of a 194 str wood elf versus a 102 str halfling team. Sounded like some people having a good laugh so I decided to watch the replay. Now, sadly the replay seems a bit mashed, but, from what I can see, there is often a setup of 3-4 halfings, and that is all, no ogres, nothing. Now, if the replay is entirely corrupt, of course this specific case is lost, but even so, that is not that important.

The point is still valid. From my perspective this site seems to be created with the purpose of competition, and all the updates of the "license agreements" are sure proof of that.
So, how bad can one play before the game is treated as a rigged game? Becuase, no offense, but there are a lot of bad coaches out there, no, I wont mention any names.... Wink

I was uncertain about including the link to the game, because this might be an discussion of a specific case instead of principles, so I decided not to. But well, given what ive said so far it shouldnt be hard for anyone to find out what game im talking about Wink

I just found myself interessted by this game and thought I should see if this had been discussed before (did a quick search but found nothing)

But, to the point, sorry for taking so long to get here, how is a rigged game defined? Are setups like 3 halflings allowed? (in turn 3 and recieving kick) By the rules, that prohibit any kind of deals about a game the anser is no. But, what if the person he played didnt know better?

For me its kind of hard to see where the line is between rigged games and those coaches who are either drunk or really really bad Wink I mean, to be really strict, if people would get banned from rigged games, would it be possible that some people who "just" had no skill be accused as wèll? (as I just might have done indirectly)
swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2003 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, lining up 3 players on a kick off on T3 should set off a red light.

Bad coaching is stacking everyone on the line on D against elves, or starting your turn by using your rookie troll when you don't have to.

You might want to PM the admins if you see something fishy, I'm sure they are quite good at dividing bad coaching from actual cheating...
cthol

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2003 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

just to throw a spanner in the works... what about this scenario: i have a team with rating 200 or so, and i get a challenge from a guy with rating 105: maybe he thinks he's great, maybe he just wants to play a game with a high gate , for the money, whatever. So, i think to myself, yeah, i'll play this guy, and what's more, i'll play him with just 5 players on the pitch, just to show him what a great coach i am (and how big my ego is as well...)

and i get pasted for my efforts. and he wins.

is that a rigged game? i didn't tell him i was going to do it, just thought, hey, what the hell, let's see if i can win with only five players

anything wrong with that?
SamSagace

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2003 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Sometime, i scan through reports of game and there isn't a day that i don't see a "strange" game. There is so much of them that i don't even bother sending msg to the admins. When you see a TR 100 get beaten up by a TR 150+, something's wrong. Even a bad coach won't accept to play against a team that much stronger unless he knows his opponent and/or they both agree to make it a "friendly" game or if he's the kind of player who don't care about results.

Either way, it's not a fair game at all... but is it cheating ? How to know which game is cheating and which one is just from a "less gifted" coach ? Probably, the only way to know for sure is if some coach do it many time vs the same coaches. That's also probably why we saw a lot of game like this, it's so hard for the admins to be sure.

Don't forget that some coaches are just unable to win. They just aren't concentrate enough on the game and/or don't want to bother learning new strategies (usually playing bashy teams). So they deliberately play vs stronger opponents so that it's ok for them to lose..

So to return to the point. Federal law already stated in the past that stupidity is not a crime by itself. Wink
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2003 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

SamSagace wrote:
Sometime, i scan through reports of game and there isn't a day that i don't see a "strange" game. There is so much of them that i don't even bother sending msg to the admins.

You should bother. While the game may not be clear cut enough to prove that someone is breaking the rules, we can investigate the matter with more information than you have available and potentially see if there is a problem.

The Finishing Touch
 Jump to: