46 coaches online • Server time: 15:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2004 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

The Fluff

The town of Backwater Bilge is an unusual place. In fact one could almost say it is the most unique city in the Old World. Once a dwarven mining camp, Backwater Bilge has become a prosperous town of 40,000 happy residents. What’s unusual is that this population is equally divided between 20 different races. What? You never heard of Backwater Bilge? There’s a good reason for that, the importance of Backwater Bilge is kept secret by every government and faction in the Old World. You see, back about 40 years ago, those dwarven miners who founded the place dug deep into the roots of Backwater Mountain and uncovered an unusual and massive artifact. The artifact appears to be a massive metallic sphere over a 100km in diameter. Excavators discovered a large perfectly round hollowed out crater 10km in diameter in the very middle of the exposed surface. The dwarven miners, realizing they had found something of a technological nature called in their gnomish cousins to take a peak around. The gnomes after a few years of tinkering accidentally activated the artifact and a massive energy beam emerged from the crater and blew the walloping crap out of Backwater Mountain. The Mountain disintegrated and buried the unfortunate gnomes under a 40-foot deep pile of silt.

Now, this energy beam burst right out of the top of the mountain and illuminated the sky like in a display that could be seen for over a thousand leagues. Needless to say, every kingdom, faction, church, horde, and despot sent troops out to try to figure out what the heck that light show was way up in the mountains.

The first army to show up was the dwarven army, but before they could fortify the place, they fortified themselves, as a result they were still sleeping off the hangover when the Orc and Goblin armies showed up. Warily eyeing the besotted dwarves, the orc and goblin leaders put their heads together to come up with a plan (the goblin leader was knocked out of course). While the goblins tried to awaken their leader, the orc chief was left to his own devices to make a plan. He decided the dwarfs must be on to something and went off to get drunk.

So the orcs started drinking, the goblins started ingesting fungus, and the dwarfs, not to be outdone by lousy orcs started drinking again. Soon a carnival atmosphere evolved as dwarves and orcs drank together and feasted. Old rivalries were forgotten in an alcoholic haze of brothership and good will. As the party was happening seventeen other armies showed up, ready to do battle. The Norse General took one look at the festivity below, and after he overcame his shock shouted “Bah! Thos pansies don’t know how to drink! Let’s get down there boys and show em how its done!” So the Norse rolled into town with 40 large kegs of beer and were heartily greeted by both the plastered orcs and bamboozled dwarfs (the dwarf whisky was running low, and the Orcs were out of Bloodweiser). The Halfling Master Chef led a brave charge into town in an effort to “secure the banquet facilities” and the stalwart flings were soon flingin about chicken wings, ribs and beer nuts.

The Chaos General wanted to kill them all and be done with it, but Khornite’s are a rowdy bunch and wanted a good drunk. So they hung their general and gave his blood to to the blood-god and streamed into town for a good punch and drunk. The Ogre Chieftan unsure (as always) of what to do sent in an airborne scout (a goblin tied to a rope and thrown into the town). After it was dragged back it reported a mighty fine party was in progress. Always fans of parties the Ogres rumbled into town and soon were devouring food as fast as the halflings could cook it.
The High Elf General looked at the Wood Elf and Human generals. “How disgusting” he remarked, “Yet I could go for a drink, do you think they have any Chablis? No? No loss, we’ll bring our own.”

The Khemri Lord surveyed the party with cold blazing eyes “In my two millennia on this plane” he rumbled “I have never seen the likes of this. It reminds me of an orgy I threw back in Kaliph Toomens day.” As he is talking the amazon army walks iinto the town from the east. A mighty cheer erupts from the partygoers. “And there are the ladies, while I cannot experience mortal pleasure it has been several centuries since I last flirted. Let’s go you bones!”

So to wrap things up, all twenty armies were soon gathered in the biggest most boisterous party the Old World has ever seen. Sure there were lots of fistfights and brawls, but overall it was as if a mystic haze of booze had put to bed all differences for at least one night.

In the morning, well the afternoon, the groggy generals met together to discuss what to do. No one really wanted to kill the fellows he had been partying with all night (except the khornites) , and to be honest, the soldiers were in no condition to fight (except the undead races, but they were feigning hangovers in order to “fit in”). They all agreed to sign a treaty that the town would be governed jointly by the Council of Twenty (themselves) and that the artefact would be protected so that no one race could control it. The good guys agreed because it was the right thing to do, the evil generals agreed because they figured odds would shift in their favour some time in the future, the halflings and goblins agreed to nothing, their general’s were still drinking and eating.

So here you have the present day, a booming town in the middle of nowhere populated by soldiers and camp followers. Taverns dot the new streets and the races still mingle socially but live in different barracks. Blood Bowl has become the number one past time in Backwater Bilge, and a new season is just beginning, each of the twenty races enter one team into the league and the winning team’s players are awarded with a heavy bag of gold and a year’s leave with pay.

So hurry and pick your champions, a new day is upon us.

The Rules

Game Rules: using official Rules of Fumbbl.com

Scoring: 2pts for win, 1 for tie, 0 for loss

There will be one team of each of the following races:

Elf - Raimius
Skaven -n3m3sys
Darkelf - Indur
Woodelf - kurre
Highelf - Clockbob
Dwarf - peikko
Chaos - BloodRunners
Orc - AvatarDM
Human - Matt_Wyeth
Norse - McCloud
Amazon - Chickenbrain
Khemri - SoftnFluffy
Goblin - LurkingGrue
Halfling - Thrall
Chaos Dwarf - mnemon
Necromantic - AloneandBurned
Lizardman - EvolvetoAnarchism
Ogre - Clementus
Vampire - BrotherMarius
Nurgle’s Rotters - Inkrose

Each team will play 10 scheduled games over 10 weeks (if all goes smoothly, which it won't). The winners of each division will be seeded 1-4 as per their point totals. The 4 next best teams, regardless of division, will be seeded 5-8. The first round of the playoffs will be set up as follows: 1vs8, 2vs7, 3vs6 etc.

So pick your race choices (1-5) in order of most wanted and pm em to me and I will let you know what you get. There will be only 1 team per race, no exceptions so don't ask.

Do not make your team until I tell you what race you are. This tournament is open to only fresh new T teams.

Last edited by BunnyPuncher on %b %17, %2004 - %02:%Feb; edited 3 times in total
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2004 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I need three dedicated coaches. The teams available are woodelf, halfling and goblin.

If interested reply here or pm me.

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2004 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, guess i can play Woodies (although i hate Elfs, especially WoodElfs). But since my lack of lust for Woodelfs i wont mourn my losses wich might make this team more dangerous then other WoodElf teams.

Ill make a team and apply tonite.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2004 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Kurre is in with woodelves.. still have 2 slots open.. one for fling, one for gobbos..

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2004 - 02:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Gobbo slot is gone.. Welcome Lurking Grue

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2004 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

How do i do to get my team approved for the league? Cant seem to find a page for the group.
kurre

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2004 - 02:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Never mind, found it.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2004 - 02:53 Reply with quote Back to top

The tournament is now full. Welcome Thrall and his brave halflings to the Backwater Bilge.

Housekeeping (/Entering administrator with stick up butt persona)

1) Tournament will commence Saturday 12:00am EST (Fumbbl - 6 I think)
2) If you have not created your team and joined the group, please do so by thursday at the latest.
3) I've worked hard to find good coaches for this tournament and expect things to go smoothly and for everyone to get their games in in a timely manner.
4) You may have noticed I do not have a team in this tournament. The reason for this is that if one coach cannot meet his game requirments one of my teams (close TR) will stand in for them. The coach who misses the game, will not get a make-up game and will lag in development.
5) I am god. While god will take advice, the final decision on all subjects pertaining to this tournament will be mine to make.

My commitments to you:
1) A weekly league round-up. If you are familiar with EMU TV you will know how much work I put into the fluff.
2) This tourny will not drag. Games will be played in a timely and efficient manner. My stand-in teams shall assure this.
3) The rules will not change.
4) Scheduling will be fair.

Your commitment to me and your fellow players:
1) You will inform God if you take a sabbatical away from fumbbl or will be unable to play your weekly game.
2) You will pm/query your opponent to arrange a convenient game time.
3) You will make a best effort to ensure your scheduled game gets played.

More notes:
I would ask that each coach embrace the fluff of the tournament and act in character, match reports are nice, as well as fun posts here in the forum. However, if this is not your cup of tea, you will not be penalized for not participating.

FAQ
Q: Are star players allowed?
A: Yes

Q: Are wizards allowed?
A: Yes

Q: What happens if my team gets wasted and I don't feel they can continue?
A: Contact me and I will allow you to make a new 100TR team of the same race. You will lose half of your earned points (rounded down). If you have earned no points you will be assessed a -2 penalty.

Q: What if my opponent goes MIA?
A: Contact me. I will stand in for your opponent with a team as close in TR/TS as possible.

Q: Is overtime in effect?
A: Not for regular season games.

Q: Why is there no undead team in this tourny?
A: I forgot about them. Next question.

Q: You forgot about one of the oldest blood bowl teams?!?
A: I said... Next Question.

Q: Is this a scheduled tournament or open round robin?
A: Scheduled.

(/end dministrator with stick up butt persona)

I would also like to ask for a volounteer who is willing to write a short article weekly on the tournament. This writer will act as an on-pitch reporter and write up a humourous weekly gossip sheet. The writing and subject of the report will entirely be up to them. PM me if you want this thankless task Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2004 - 02:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Group is HERE

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2004 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Added a little fluff to my team and ill try to roleplay them a little. Probably will get disctinct if i ever get to play any of the mentioned teams, but that will add to the excitement.

Would be fun if everyone added a little bio on their teams.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=57830
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2004 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree.. Would be fun Smile

Fluff FAQ:

Q: What is the name of the stadium where the games are played.
A: There are five BloodBowl pitches in Backwater Bilge.

The Orcs, Goblins, Ogres and Norse have a home field located in the Southern part of town in the pub district. The stadium, locally known as "Da Pit" is exactly that. A large hole in the ground with benches carved out of the dirt. The food service consists mainly of beer vendors (Bloodweiser and Bugmans) and the food is the ever popular "mystery meat"

The High Elves, Wood Elves, Halflings, Pro Elves, Humans, and Dwarves call the Northside Athletic Complex home. This state of the art facility comfortable seats 60,000 fans and serves a wide range of quality food and beverage.

The Necromantic, Vampire, Skaven and Khemri play in the Thralloseum, a fine underground stadium located directly beneath the town's main square. LaBlood Red Ribbon and Urgle's Fungal Rotgut are the only beverages served.

The Chaos, Dark Elf, Chaos Dwarf and Nurgle's Rotters play in the aptly named "House of Pain" located in the towns dirty east side. This large stadium features an astrogranite pitch, impaled heads on spikes and a gallows on which the teams hang their coaches after losses. Blarny's Beer, Bloodweiser and Warp XXX are the beverages of choice.

The "Concrete Jungle" on the wes side is home to the Lizardmen and Amazon teams. A very pretty stadium done up in a jungle theme. Even has its own tribe of cannibalistic pygmies roaming about. Snake-on-a-Stick is the best selling snack and Lemon Gin is the number one beverage.

Q: What is the "artifact"?
A: The Death Star

Q: How do all the races get along?
A: The common soldiers are pretty chummy as most of them have been living and working beside the other races for years now. The Generals however, are continually plotting to ensure their race gains control of the Death Star.

Q: Where is Backwater Bilge located in the Old World?
A: I could tell you but then I would have to kill you.

Q: Who are the important people in Backwater Bilge?
A: The council of twenty. You can name your Generals as the tourny goes along if you want. Other important people include: Black Eye Charlie (human, chief of the town watch), Muddy Grich (wealthy orc, owner of the Muddy Water Tavern, the largest bar in town), Grom the Bookie (formerly of Lost-Vegas, now hiding in Backwater Bilge), Domino Creel (Dark Elf and Head of the BWB Referees Association), Sven (norse agent, he insures star players are available to teams that need them), Leopal Finch (Gnome engineer, head of Death Star research and part-time weapons supplier). New characters are always welcome.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2004 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

<i>I would also like to ask for a volounteer who is willing to write a short article weekly on the tournament. This writer will act as an on-pitch reporter and write up a humourous weekly gossip sheet. The writing and subject of the report will entirely be up to them. PM me if you want this thankless task </i>

I'm in, if people want me to write about this tournament, then I'm ready. My so called "portfolio" can be seen in my overview... check out the teams :

http://fumbbl.com/~Surtur

Thank you.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2004 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Ready to Rock And Roll... Adding necessary fluff to team now.

Z
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2004 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Surtur is now the official Tabloid Reporter for The Backwater Bilge League. The more fluff you can provide in your match reports the more it gives him to work with.. Keep that in mind Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2004 - 03:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Still need to see teams from the following:

Thrall - Halfling
Mnemon - Chaos Dwarf
EvolveToAnarchism - Lizardman
BrotherMarius - Vampire

Please have your teams to me and in the group by tomorrow so I can put the schedule up.