31 coaches online • Server time: 11:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post custom pitch per tea...goto Post killing by fun?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
quota

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Chickenbrain wrote:
Hehe.. I can't imagine why this happened. You Lineman murderer...

Read the match report, it's explained there. The Executioner was going for his legs, you know, just to get him out. He can't help it if your players don't wear headgear!

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Melbourne Knuckledusters defeat Newtown Takeaway 4-1

The highest scoring match of Round 1 so far (25 league points for the Knuckledusters!) and still the fans weren't happy. Sometimes, I just don't get it, you know..? Wink

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
Flaymin

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Clearly they are expecting even better performance from you and your team Smile
Twahn

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose we did let them score... we'll just have to try harder next time!

Doowa

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2004 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe, nice Twahn. Guess you do have to try harder :p

Post 4 Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe my question was drowned in talk about a game, so I'll put it up again Smile

Hope someone has an opinion

Hovring wrote:
I have heard concerns about the play off creating problems, cause they are as long as the actual tournament.

The first problem is that some teams will get more games than others creating a TR gap. This gap will offcourse not be as bad when you take into account that next season the tournament will be split into divisions somehow.

The other concern is that people get bored of waiting for the playoff to be played. About this I personally believe that even though there's a the rule one game per week people can play them faster especially in playoffs where it only depends on a few teams, so I guess that it wont last any longer than 2 weeks max anyway.

My arguments against these problems shouldn't make it so that I didn't acknowledge the problem and finding a solution would be ideal. So if anyone have an idea please let me know.

One way to do it was to make a 2 round only swiss tournament where teams was seeded by TR. This could even include the new teams so they could get some preseason games. Anyway if you have a good idea please let us hear.

(this was written in a hurry, I do hope it is understandable)
quota

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't answer because...

A) I don't have an opinion.
B) I don't care if some teams have played more games than me.
C) I was busy dreaming about the lineman I killed when I played against ChickenBrain Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

My main concerns are...

a) That listed above. The playoffs are as long as the regular season. I think you'll find that the playoff games are not played as quickly as the other games either, as there will be vast Timezone differences and will also move at the rate of the slowest participant. They might get done in two weeks though, if the first round gets played quickly.

b) If you're planning on reseeding all the teams in new groups by their TR, you'll end up with Timezone issues next season which will slow down play considerably.

I say extend the regular season to 6 games. This gives all the coaches more of an opportunity to play and will also result in a less extreme TR difference next season, allowing you to seed the teams by Timezone more easily.

Hovring

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Next season I am thinking something like this....

4x6 (=four groups with six teams) top division groups. (1 AUS, 1 US, 2 EU) (-> all play off members will be secured a place in one of these four the remaining 16 teams are found based on TR)
The winner go to play off (so only 2 playoff games)
The teams not in the top division will be playing in lower division from where they can qualify to the top division. How those are gonna be depends on the number of teams, I might have to merge the US and AUS group when it comes to lower divisions.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 02:17 Reply with quote Back to top

As an Aussie, I find it easier to get games with Europeans than Americans... timezone difference is less severe...
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

As an Aussie who hangs out online in the daytime I find it easier to play against Yanks and other "stay at home" Aussies Wink
PS to Hovring...I assume since Twahn has linked the match in here that is enough yes? I don't have to do any more? (new to this tourny thing)

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

you don't need to do anything it updates itself Smile
UHI

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe you should consider the following way to get all times the nearly same number of games:

For the groups runner-ups make a playoff as well. Of course the winner would not win a world-cup but maybe the "Cup of honor".

For those ranked 3rd and 4th in their groups you can handle it as follows:

Put all 3rd placed in a group, divided timezone wise (4 european groups, 4 non-european groups) and do the same for all 4th placed. Call it something like preparation tournament for the next world cup. So all teams will end up with 6 games and no one has really to wait.

Those ideas most probably will need some tweaking but i think the general idea could work.
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Otherwise next season for the runner-ups will be VERY hard. Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2004 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Giving 3 games too the 3rd and 4th will make them stronger than the group winners that lose the quarterfinal.

I kinda made the same system in the danish league and found out the that TR differences might vary too much, but in the danish league I put people in a divison based on their result last season not TR, by making it TR for the nonwinners it might even it out a bit.

Another way could be this:
Making 4 knockout stages where: All from the winner group advanced to the top division (=Cool, the semifinalist from the cup with runner ups got in highest div (=4), the finalist from 3rd placed (=2) and at last the winner among 4th placed (=1). That makes 15 teams qualified based on how well they did, the remaining 9 teams should be the ones with highest TR.
Furthermore to give the new teams that have applied a little late some experience we could give them a knockout tourney as well, just to get some TR.

After all of this there will be some severe differences in the lower divisions, this can be solved by making them play swiss based on TS
 Jump to: