54 coaches online • Server time: 23:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cute

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2003 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Twisted Evil Ok i am an evil undead, and hell yeah i foul, i foul when i need to and if i see a point in it, like i can't see why the dodgy little elfs whine that the "big bad slow undead" try to desimate the numbers of players couse when the elfs are at full numbers i can't posible stop all of em and they are much much better at playing the ball around... so my question is why do people whine so much when i foul... can't you see it is a way to win... YES I PLAY TO WIN... and i'm sorry... saving your players comes a distant 3rd couse my own players also comes before yours Very Happy so anyone wanna tell me if i'm wrong when i say it's part of the bloddy bowl game ?
Chappy

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2003 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Fouling is fine. If they don't foul back it puts you at a disadvantage if you do it again anyway. But like everything else, there is a time and place to foul. 8th turn of the second half for no reason except just doing it just doesn't sit well with anyone..............
kaan

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2003 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Well i agree that fouling is a part of the game. If you dont like getting fouled then dont foul back, the offending team will soon suffer more than your soft elfs. In fact fouling is a tactic as any other tactic in the game, remember that a player that makes a foul cant do much else that turn.
Personally i dont foul unless my fans get the ref, and even then i dont foul much, im simply often too busy doing more important things.

kaan
Barash

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2003 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I played Darkersun yesterday, I was playing Nurgle's Rotters vs his Vampires and I was leading 1-0 into the 2nd half. He was playing well, dice was going his way and he was really kicking my butt.

I had no opertunity at all (not even close) to to stop him from scoring. After that he desided to faul in turn 7 of the 2nd half luckily only KO'ing my player (already used my opoth) and he was stalling the game as well into turn 8, so he could make the td in the last second to tie the game. (Not that I could score in one turn)

What use had that faul? Not that I could win the game or that player to prevent him from scoring, no he claimed: "I hate FA players"

Is he playing according to the rules: sure.
Was it needed and what was the gain for Darkersun? I have no idea

If I block someone and that kills an opponent's player, I don't like that one bit. Sure I don't mind the 2 SSP, but I feel sorry for the loss of my opponent. I play to have fun, not to kill someones team and frustrate other coaches. For that reason I have little MB, PO, Claw, RSF, DP skills.

I simply don't like coaches who do things as Darkersun did in the game above. Only fauling to do harm. Apperently they have fun destroying other player teams. If a coach does something like this I simply put him on my black list and I never play them again.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2003 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Barash, that kinda foul is not what i mean... my point is that i have a tacktic to get rid of players that can be of threat to my victory and i do that hard and fast and in every way i can... and that include fouling em when they are down... i do not foul when i don't need to.. like the last rounds of a game where the victory is safe... it is only and i mean only a way for me to win the game and make his players go off the field, and it was merly a question about howcome everyone whine so much about it... it's blod bowl not soft ball or something... Twisted Evil
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2003 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

1) I like to play Woodies. Occasionally I play against basher teams. Even if those teams don't have any DPs and no PO-Mummies it basically means that you can start your team from scratch. Even if you win and get a gate of about 20 - 40 k you have to replace players which are worth about 160 k (and this number doesn't include the SPPs). This is a major flaw online, because winning means nothing here, actually.

2) Dirty Player IS utterly broken. And there is a major flaw in the game of Blood Bowl insofar that fouling very often has no actual drawbacks. The fact that people sometimes indulge in late-game-fouling and you guys think that it is necessary to emphasize that you don't participate in that, clearly demonstrates one thing: As long as fouling includes no potentially lasting risk, fouling will remain a problem in Blood Bowl that makes certain match-ups impossible (unless you intend to retire your team anyhow).
cjohnsto

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2003 - 08:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Mirascael, perhaps we will see people sent off for fouls missing the next game as well on a 4+ or something like that in the next edition if they even try and fix it. How to make winning a benifit, perhaps the winner gets to use the stadiums apoth at the end of the match. i.e. the winner gets an apoth roll right at the end for any of his players.
cjohnsto

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2003 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Or perhaps a bonus MVP to the winners team?
Ixnatifual

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2003 - 09:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree entirely. The chance of getting thrown out for fouling are greater than the chance of you hurting the prone player, unless you have a ton of help, or Dirty Player. And once you have made a single foul, not even Dirty Player is worth it, unless you get a hold of your opponent's one-turn scorer. You -need- dirty player if you plan to use fouling as a tactic. Otherwise it's just too rarely worth it.
Shinan

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2003 - 10:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I have ot admit that fouling a player that you hate in the last turn isn't really that bad... Sure it will hurt for the opponent and mightn't be too fun, but if you're out for vengeance then nothing will stop you from getting it!

And I believe that fouling actually is more or less in the spirit of the game for some teams... Why play Goblins if you can't foul? Though to make it more fun I would think that no-one should have the DP skill...

Fouling IS part of the game, though the problem with online gaming with a Set of rules is that you can't agree on "not counting" the Death result as you sometimes can do in friendly games over the board 8^)

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2003 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Some years ago, I used to play a lot of BloodBowl. We set up some boards and people would come and play. In those days, it was far more deadly than it is now, and everyone fouled... a LOT.
Playing races that have AV9 makes injuries rather rare, whereas playing races with AV7 will give you lots of injured players. This is how it was meant to be. People simply can't expect to have a team with MV9 players and not get more injuries than eg. chaos-teams. (Amazon and Norse are an exception to this, but they get either dodge or block on everyone from the start).

To sum it up : Fouls are very much a part of the game. IGMEOY makes it dangerous to foul twice without the opponent fouling. You can use fouls to get rid of players that are too dangerous (especially 1-turners if you get a hold of them), but I do think that fouling in the last turn, just to get revenge, is unsportsmanlike.
Quilwood

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2003 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally foul when i have a player that isn't worth much and didn't do anything else that turn. This happens almost never. I have absalutley nothing agenst fouling even on turn 8. Fouling on turn 8 could result in a death, which for ranking perposes will put you ahead of your competitor because his team won't perform as well as yours in the future. The politacal atmosphere on the otherhand shuns turn 8 fouls so you are better off not doing it from the threat of not getting any games while your competitor gets a nice soft recovery game out of sypathy.

What I'm trying to say is do whatever you want but don't get upset when somebody has a different opinion than you. This goes for elf (fouling hurts to much) and those Piling ON, Dirty player coaches. Everyone can play how they like but there are consiquences.
erwinhightrain

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2003 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

My policy on fouling has always been that if at anytime during the game an opponent makes a successful foul attempt on me. I have anytime during the rest of the game to pay him back even if it is the last turn of the game. Also if I foul to get rid of a threat early My opponent has every right to foul me on the last turn of the game if he/she wishes. I have no right to be upset its part of a game I really enjoy playing
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2003 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

cjohnsto wrote:
I agree with Mirascael, perhaps we will see people sent off for fouls missing the next game as well on a 4+ or something like that in the next edition if they even try and fix it. How to make winning a benifit, ...

And I agree with cjohnsto. My RL-league penalizes sent-off players with a 50% chance of mng. Personally, I'd also like to see that sent-off players have a 50% chance of developing some kind of bad reputation too, similarly to niggling injuries. Everytime they are sent-off there might be a 50% chance of developing one point of reputation (these points could be added to future IGMEOY-rolls). Furthermore, each sent-off should lower the cash by 10 k. These measures would avoid unnecessary fouling.

Though the fouling-issue rather belongs to tbb (the current fouling rules are quite unsatisfactory), online-fouling is especially problematic and deters soft teams from playing basher teams. The amount of postings lucidly demonstrates that there IS indeed a major problem. That the rules are the rules isn't a helpful argument here, since they are very much wanting.

As long as you basher-coaches are perfectly fine with the current fouling rules (which could also include the PO-afterwards issue in this context), you don't have no right grumbling about soft teams denying to play against you.

So stop whining about elf-coaches, who don't want to have their teams annihilated, your complaints are lame beyond comprehension. Cool
Cute

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2003 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is not people playing or lack there off... it is more that people shouldn't complain and as i saw one time abandon the game couse a basher (BASHER means you want to hurt the other team and get your winning that way) team that foul em... foul is made so it works... and who say's an elf team can't foul? i saw a coatch playing a DE team and he brought down 1 ogre 2 black orcs and 3 blitzer... and still managed to score alot... and elfs are paticular good at this as i see it... they need so little players to have the ball safe and have the movement and agility to give assists on the fouls. so why shouldn't a basher team repay the service? i use fouls as a tacktic not close to being to hurt... if all could move into the BH box fine... but i'll never apolegize for hurting an elf team

The second... Elfs that play a basher team are not sure to replace 2 players as a coach wrote... and on top elf's gain ssp's more then twice as fast as basher teams couse they are better at using every player for everything... you see woodelfs... catchers make td's and many of em... wardancers get CP TD CS, linemen can get the same couse they all have ag 4.... same goes for other elfs.. Undead on the other hand and orc's and chaos... they live on making casualty's couse after a short while they get a beast/ghould that become the TD maker, and the other rely mainly on casualty's... what i'm saying is... an elf that lose a player can replace him and the ssp's faster then a new mummy on an undead team... this is in no way meant to be a msg where i say elf's are better... (i think they are weak) but they get ssp on different players more easy then basher teams ! Twisted Evil
 Jump to: