25 coaches online • Server time: 02:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
zredna

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

In the rules it is stated that it is not allowed to agree on not to foul. I think this is rather strange because I have always thought that we play BB for fun, and if both coaches agree on that it is more fun to play a game without fouling I think that it should bee allowed. I understand that the general meaning of the rule on not agreeing on ingame strategy is that two teams should not play to swap SPP, but fouling does not genrate any SPP in any way it just makes people irritated or angry. If it is the general opinion that it is to cheat I would like to have the oportunity to see how many fouls the team I am decideing to play usualy preforms per game, not just cas. I get sad when I lose a player to a block but I get irritated when someone fouls a player to death with no real purpous exept hurting for fun.

Zredna likes fair play BB
peikko

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

zredna wrote:
I think this is rather strange because I have always thought that we play BB for fun

You are partly wrong. Open, DivX and Faction are competive leagues. Therefore there is coach rankings and team rankings. If you want to play just for fun and bend the rules of bloodbowl or fumbbl theres Tournament division.
lord_real

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the reason on why you arent allowed to agree not to foul is that people disconected from games and refused to countinue when one player didnt honour the agreement. In these rules you are bound to play the game trough (or conceding) no matter what.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

fair bb means you can do what you want within the rules of the game and that means fouling

as peikko said most of the divisions are competative and if you have a team that is agreeing not to foul for every match then that team is having an unfair advantage over every other team that doesn't

if you like to play fiar bb like you say then you would also agree that making any pre match agreement along these lines is cheating and thats why its against the rules

anyone who disagrees can have their teams retired for breaking the rules, come and see me and I will gladly do that
veron

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

While you're at it, why not agree on not throwing any blocks either...

*shakes his head*
Barash

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

peikko wrote:
zredna wrote:
I think this is rather strange because I have always thought that we play BB for fun

You are partly wrong. Open, DivX and Faction are competive leagues. Therefore there is coach rankings and team rankings. If you want to play just for fun and bend the rules of bloodbowl or fumbbl theres Tournament division.

I think this is a partly wrong argument:
Why are coaches and/or teams allowed with N/A ranking in the Open division ?
Are coaches/teams with N/A ranking allowed to agree on a no foul match? (I think not)

I don't like playing massive foul coaches/teams myself, but agreeing on something like that is forbidden for a good reason: and it should stay that way.
Maybe a new statistic could help out here, something like average number of fouls per match per team. I would prefer to have it per team, since some coaches foul with team A and never do this with team B.
Technical this is possible with the new game report.

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

barash like i said doesn't matter if your teams are ranked or not you aren't allowed to agree anything before a match

and the average cas per game was added to the bb lfg command for each team to show you already and i believe it included fouled cas

bottom line if it doesn't, THERE ISN'T A SINGLE REASON TO AGREE IT OTHER THAN TO GET AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE OVER THE OTHER TEAMS ERGO ITS CHEATING

thats the official fumbbl stance on the matter, if you see people doing this then please report them, we don't want cheaters in this league
peikko

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Barash wrote:

I think this is a partly wrong argument:
Why are coaches and/or teams allowed with N/A ranking in the Open division ?
Are coaches/teams with N/A ranking allowed to agree on a no foul match? (I think not)

If englishman goes into french, not all ppl in french are french but its still france. Ok, now that might not be best metaphor of all times but leagues do have leagues rules, not one-game-rules so its not so wrong argument at all. Those mentioned leagues stay competive as long as there is possibility to keep your team and coach ranked. And theres wild rumors about shadow rating that is affected even if youre unranked.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 13:08
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Now I'm not a big fouler. but I would never agree to a 'no foul' match. yet I probably foul on average once every 5 or 6 games. some people foul every turn. thats their choice.

the joy of an open format is if someone plays the game a way you don't enjoy playing then you NEVER have to play them again. Very easy and very simple.

There are plenty of coaches out there you think/play as you do. just find them and play them. Also check the teams and 'dodge' teams that seem set up to foul/team kill.

Though to be honest the ref usually takes care of excessive foulers for you. it can often make winning far easier if the opponent fouls every turn irrespective of 'I've got my eye on you'.
peikko

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

veron wrote:
While you're at it, why not agree on not throwing any blocks either...

Been there, done that! Well, almost at least, did not agree with opponent and threw one block and one blitz at the end of the game to tie it Smile
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=274898 a peasant bowl game (yes, in tournament division!) 161str vs 105str. And I still live to tell about it.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Now I'm not a big fouler. but I would never agree to a 'no foul' match. yet I probably foul on average once every 5 or 6 games. some people foul every turn. thats their choice.

According to what I run in to... fouling 5 or 6 times a match is way above average... mind you I'm closer to 7-8 a lot of the times myself Smile

So Purplechest, welcome to the society of the boot.

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Well it isn't a perfect solution - playing offense and defense well will force most opponents interested in winning to play offense and defense in response instead of gang fouling. I know I've had a few games where I've had GTR and couldn't do much in the way of fouling because I was too busy trying to win. Smile

Further you can target your opponent's DP with blitzes and blocks, as fouling without assists and fouling without a DP are both more likely to get the fouler kicked out then cause a CAS.

So to sum up if you are really opposed to fouling for some reason dodge teams with more then one DP or a poor record and high # of CAS. Also, having your own DP on the roster will make your opponent think twice of fouling you - an idea BB has apparently borrowed from the NHL.
Sinner

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2004 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

people block...people blitz... people foul. Even if you agree on not doing so (which is cheating) you cannot complain about your opponent not honoring the agreement. You could, but then you would be a little sissy running to the admin who would block your account. So you can do naught if your opponent to be lures you into that kind of agreement (not much of a sportsman).

I think most of those agreements will be made in private chat (as if they were open --> account blocked, cause of fixing games, cheating or whatever), you can't prevent it. But fumbbl does not have to. If you are not into agressive fouling, nothing to say about a well placed foul here and there (every rookie wants to get near his adored star, even if he touches him only with his boot Very Happy ), take a look at the #DP and take a look at the looooong fouling thread which should still be available in the forums. But don't you dare post there, cause everything has been said now and again.

If you like fouling, play Wuhan now and again, cause he likes being fouled (i won't tell the reason though Wink )

Cheers and sorry about those many words

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2004 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

BunnyPuncher wrote:
PurpleChest wrote:

According to what I run in to... fouling 5 or 6 times a match is way above average... mind you I'm closer to 7-8 a lot of the times myself Smile

So Purplechest, welcome to the society of the boot.

once every 5 or 6 games != 5 or 6 times a match

I think all that kicking has shaken something loose upstairs Wink

The Finishing Touch
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2004 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Ooops.. heh.. must learn to read..

Be the Bunny