44 coaches online • Server time: 18:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2004 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

what's this story? about rule agreements? If someone talks about "I will not foul, and do not foul" it's illegal?

Ok; and when I hear, I need a recovery, it is not.

Laughing.
Mully

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Actually, as the game has never started, no fumbbl rule has been broken at all.

Furthermore, the fumbbl rules don't contain any paragraphs which would force a coach to report such incidences.

Go Mirascael go!!

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

There's nothing wrong with someone saying they won't foul. Some people don't foul. There's also nothing wrong with saying you never foul, and then fouling the crap out of your opponent.

It's the mutual agreement that is the issue.

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 03:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I very occasionally get a Dirty Player in Ranked. I send people my team URL as a matter of course when requesting a game and type something to the effect of "That Dirty Player is for retaliation purposes only" implying I won't be fouling with him needlessly. I'll probably foul first turn, maybe second and when it is tactically advisable - e.g. trying to stun a potential blitzer. This is more to make my team more attractive to play against than a fear of being fouled back. In fact, I wish they'd take out my fat, bloated skinks that are inflating my team rating - Hate to retire them.

I don't try to get an agreement from my opponent but amongst the friendly banter they'll sometimes concur in some way although I've never refused a match because they don't. At no point do we actually agree not to foul and I frequently stick the boot in if I happen to have some good assists and they're close to 11 players.

This is shonky for sure but is it illegal?

I agree totally with Grum's statement that a no fouling agreement gives an unfair advantage.
It could also be argued that a gumby playing Goblins in Ranked is giving his opponents an unfair advantage - Give them chainsaws I say.
Not to mention cherry picking - I played my first match against Dwarves in Ranked the other day. This is after 40+ games dating back to when it was called Opens. I can't remember the last time I saw a Dwarf or Chaos Dwarf team below TR 200 in Ranked.

I'd also like to point out that although I play Ranked and am competitive I play friendly games where I don't want to see the opposing team destroyed*. The community online is very friendly and fun to play - I get fouled maybe twice a match at most. Possibly this is because I'm chatty and they get the idea I'm not out to kill them when I barrack for their players who do well.

*Unless I get SPPs for it Smile

It strikes a note of discord when Grum's hard line attitude seems not to fit in with the carebear community on Ranked where there is minimal fouling by default without any pre-match agreements at all. Remember hearing some concerns over people leaving Ranked for Unranked which is apparently not Blood Bowl gospel or whatever. These rules make fumbbl look a lot more cut throat than it actually is in my experience.

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

"That Dirty Player is for retaliation purposes only" implying I won't be fouling with him needlessly. I'll probably foul first turn, maybe second and when it is tactically advisable

lol For retaliatory purposes and then bam ... 1st turn a foul on a skilless lineman. Bet that feels good.

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 04:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Well you can't accuse me of making a mutual agreement and then honouring it Smile

I never say anything about fouling with someone other than the Dirty Player, now do I? Nooooooooo!

Skilless linemen DPing feels much better than having it done to a developed Wardancer, let me tell you...

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2004 - 08:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Rofl, i never agree to not fouling i have a dp on my team for that reason, i do go for the targets that could hurt me tho

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2004 - 09:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Team ratings skyrocket when no one fouls. Best to keep teams in check in the mid 200 rating range or it gets plain silly. I tried IRC BB a long time ago and it was a big no foul preference on there. Teams were rating 400+ as a result. I only played once when the guy accused me of breaking a no foul aggreement I never made. It's way better over here.

I'd like to actually foul more, but I've been scared off of it with too many players rolling doubles and generally just trying to win.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2004 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I never saw anyone asking me not to foul (even if I do not foul generally; I would like too, sometimes, but seems not to really be appreciated around, lol Wink ) but I m altough really new around and I not not have any team with 200+TR.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2004 - 01:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I for one believe those who don't like fouling don't understand bloodbowl and should find another game more compatible with their personality.
However, fouling IS illegal (hence why a ref will toss your cheating butt out of the game). agreeing not to foul is in effect agreeing to play by nuffle's legitimate rules.
So agreeing not to cheat is considered cheating??? That doesn't make sense.

Coach ranking is a nice little piece of fluff in the league, but I don't think we should take it that seriously. R is still "open" div no matter what "name of the month" it gets.

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2004 - 02:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I dunno, but to those of you who play Paranoia the RPG, didn't Grum's post seem something like the Friend Computer would say?

www.paranoia-rpg.com

Z
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2004 - 06:42 Reply with quote Back to top

arktoris wrote:
...However, fouling IS illegal (hence why a ref will toss your cheating butt out of the game)...

In a role-playing sense, you're right on. Make yourself a HE team and refuse to foul your opponent. Good boy. Here's a scooby snack.

However, it's a fundamentally flawed argument from a player's perspective (as opposed to a role-playing, "coach" perspective). If there are rules for fouling, then it's legal. Hence the rules. There are no rules for Hellspawn beasties eating all your opponents players so that you can score, and therefore that is illegal.

See the subtle difference?

ps. suggesting that the computer is similar to the fundamentally flawed, organic, carbon-based life form named Grum is a treasonous idea. Please report to the recycling center for summary execution immediately.

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:

See the subtle difference?

lol

Eek, down one clone. Laughing? He doesn't have clearance to laugh!

Fouling is part of the game. If it wasn't there would be no rules for it. You would lay on the pitch and have to be ran around. There are rules for fouling and fouling is risky.

To use American football as an example... it isn't legal to hold on to your opponents shirt. Players do. Often they get caught. The team gets penalized. The game moves on. Noone yells at the team owner because they agreed not to hold or clip or go offsides. Not a great example but...
Shinan

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
There are no rules for Hellspawn beasties eating all your opponents players so that you can score, and therefore that is illegal.

In our league there is. Those Chaos teams are very nasty when their fans decide to summon something from the warp...

It usually ends with an Imperial brigade's arrival and with a 2000 point WHFB battle 8^)

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2004 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Shinan wrote:
Quote:
There are no rules for Hellspawn beasties eating all your opponents players so that you can score, and therefore that is illegal.

In our league there is...

In your league, it is legal... because you have rules for it. Actaully sounds like fun. However in this league...

Jump to: