45 coaches online • Server time: 15:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Why would you not play a Dwarf team of the same Rating/Strength
Dwarves kill my players more often than other races!
18%
 18%  [ 24 ]
Dwarves are boring to play against!
61%
 61%  [ 79 ]
I've not played against them, but I hear they are tough!
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
Some other reason! - state in a post!
13%
 13%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 129

poodle-man

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I would just like to repeat what someone else has already said in this post somewhere and i said a bunch o'times elswhere. An even match up of str favours bashy teams, and none more so than dwarves. The game is "balanced" such as it is, in a tourney situation. Where the slow rate of progress of bashy teams competes with the high player attrition of agile teams. But if after 10 games, you have 130/130 dwarves, you should slay a 3 game, 130/130 elf team. So to answer your question Wotfudboy, i will mostly decline a game against an even str dwarf team. And did someone mention how boring they are?

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Dwarf are so boring to play I want play against them un less I know the player, The dwarf player I'm playing against is taking about 5-6 mins a turn on a good turn and it's so boring Sad

Blood blood is meant to be fun, dwarf are only good for brewing BEER !!
Postie

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

DWARFS ARE BORING TO PLAY! well unless they have a cool caoch who has chosen weird skills instead of standfirm,mighty blow ect. If else their just boring

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

deathgerbil wrote:
Personally i find dwarves kinda unbalanced, because of the insane amount of skills that their mooks get. Block, Tackle, Thick Skull, AND AV 9 for the basic lineman!!! no other team in all the game has that many starting skills (...)

Not much to say about it: Goblins, Halflings, Chaos Dwarves are in the same region, Necros only a bit behind. And concerning the "balance" thing: no other team is slower than the Dwarf team, even the Undead have access to MA 5 linemen.

ciao
Fimirel

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I just voted with the last option.

I WILL play against a dwarf team of same rating/strength. The only thing that could keep me back is if my team has suffered many injuries on it's last game and I'm not near full strength myself.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

grep-v wrote:
deathgerbil wrote:
Personally i find dwarves kinda unbalanced, because of the insane amount of skills that their mooks get. Block, Tackle, Thick Skull, AND AV 9 for the basic lineman!!! no other team in all the game has that many starting skills (...)

Not much to say about it: Goblins, Halflings, Chaos Dwarves are in the same region, Necros only a bit behind. And concerning the "balance" thing: no other team is slower than the Dwarf team, even the Undead have access to MA 5 linemen.

ciao

Wow someone actually stated the fact that gobbos and flings start with the same number of skills as dwarves as a reason for them to be balanced. Now thats madness. I'm not saying that dwarves are horribly unbalanced but the fact that flings and gobbos have three skills too is a silly argument imo. Laughing
Pinkerton

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

My problem with dwarfs, rather than the team itself, is that so many coaches of slow-moving, strength-based teams tend to stall, foul, and just regularly go out of their way using any means they have at their disposal to cause casualties rather than going for a TD when they have the chance. That's a very boring strategy to face, and to the more-lightly armoured agility-based teams, an unfortunate match against such an opponent can lead not only to a loss, but to a team unable to recover. If the stalling and these attrition-based, knock-them-all-out tactics were less common among bashy-team coaches, I wouldn't mind dwarf teams at all.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Controlling the clock and grinding down the opositions players is how a lot of teams have to play to win. Saying that if these tactics where less prevelant you wouldn't mind playing them is a lot like me telling you that i'd play but i know you will pass and hand off the ball in the same turn and thats just plain unfair. Or i'd play but you can't score in two turns, you have to give me ample time to stop your td because thats fair. Stalling, fouling and bashing are not tactics aimed specifically at hurting your team and ignoring the end zone, they are tactics aimed at winning the game instead of getting the snot beat out of you by letting elves score 6 tds.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, if that's truly what it takes to prevail with the strength-based teams, the answer seems sort of inherent in the explanation. For obvious reasons, it's more fun to play a team that can beat you without having to cripple you.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not more fun, it's just easier. Like it's easier to play people with really low coach ratings or with goblin or halfling teams. There is plenty of fun to be had actually struggling for control of the ball instead of just runing it in every two turns with no oposition except the dreaded double one. Your team will do better if you exclusively play soft matches thats a fact but it's not really playing the game at all. Sometimes you need to suck it up and play that dwarf or ork team for integrities sake if nothing else. Thats how i look at it at least but there are plenty of other opinions on the topic.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Dwarves don't have to cripple the other team to win. They may have to stall for a turn or two, to prevent that two turn td in return.
Franz

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I never played against dwarves on fumbbl. My real life league is full of dwaren coach ( i converted to orcs recently) and i'm very bored. But I don't think they are overpowered. And if you've got an orc team and refuse to play you're not orcish!
Pinkerton

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't say it's easier. Playing an AG-based opponent doesn't necessarily mean an easier win or less competition, as much as less fear of getting your team out of commission and having eventual victories turn out to be pyrrhic. As for what really is playing the game or not, yeah, I guess there are a lot of definitions of that.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

thmbscrws wrote:
Stalling, fouling and bashing are not tactics aimed specifically at hurting your team and ignoring the end zone, they are tactics aimed at winning the game instead of getting the snot beat out of you by letting elves score 6 tds.

What they are aimed at doing is irrelevant, it doesn't change what they do.

It doesn't matter if I kick you in the balls because I want to hurt you, or if I kick you in the balls so I can get past you to score a TD, I'm sure you'd just rather not have sore balls.

The Finishing Touch
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Klipp... master of the eloquent analogy. Smile

Jump to: