59 coaches online • Server time: 16:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you like playing Grey Box games?
Yes, it would be a challenge playing.
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
No, I think I have enough options for playing even games (Leagues, Ranked, etc)
74%
 74%  [ 29 ]
Other (see below)
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 39

Azure

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
uuni wrote:
People do not really want 50:50 forced, but instead they want to win less skilled opponents with perceived equality over TV.

With all due respect, this is bollocks. sir.

What "people" want is an even playing field where skill (and by this i mean both playing skill and team building skill) are the basis for wins and losses, with the added randomness of dice (this being a dice game, after all). What they do not want is some kind of handicapping system that patronizes people who are less skillful, thus infantilizing them and giving them no incentive to improve.

+1

Totally agree.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 02:02 Reply with quote Back to top

This is getting pretty confusing...........this tends to be for me once Uuni gets involved.

1. Who's the new guy, looks like a bunch of old hands digging up old topics.
2. I didn't think Uuni wanted to pair via CR, he wanted to pair via FF........but now I'm not sure.
3. I do think he (Uuni) has a point about coaches wanting to win more than getting a fair match up. Not all, but a large portion.
4. I'd be very very very surprised if a box type division ever used CR in match making formula ever again.

So as we're all airing our linen, here's mine (yes I know you've all heard it before, but the threads keep a coming).

Match making based on FF.
Altered by last 10 matches (win/losses most recent being the most important)
Altered by changes in TV from last match up.
uuni

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 02:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Very Happy
neoliminal

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 02:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm hardly daunted by this thread's negative remarks. Some are extremely helpful, for example I found out that some of this was in the Black Box when it started. So there it is.

When I spoke with Jervis, his ideal outcome of games was, and I'm paraphrasing, "That the worst coaches should still be able to win 1/3 or the games against the better players regardless of the difference in Team Value." I didn't agree with that, but I saw what he was trying to accomplish.

For example, if you always fail on a 1 and you always succeed on a 6 then you can't be sure you aren't going to lose on any given action (that requires dice.) I played a game recently where my opponent stalled until the sixth turn and failed a 2D block with skulls to end the half. He had the score for about 6 turns, but didn't put it in. It's these kinds of things that even out the coaching.

This isn't chess. Playing chess against a much better opponent isn't fun. Playing Blood Bowl against a better opponent doesn't mean he is going to win for sure. That's a big draw because otherwise why would newbies bother trying to get better?

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 02:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Regardless of the merits of the idea, unless you had a whole stack of coaches registering for each game time it would be impossible for it to work anyway.
Playing my time zone I don't think I have seen more than 7 other coaches register when I have, so having enough to make this work isn't even possible.
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 02:35 Reply with quote Back to top

When I was a kid, I grew up playing "Duck-Duck-Goose". I grew up in Illinois. People from Iowa played "Duck-Duck-Goose"... people in Indiana played "Duck-Duck-Goose"... people in Wisconsin played "Duck-Duck-Goose"... as far as I knew that's what people played in Indiana, Missouri, wherever!

When I moved to Minnesota, you know what I found out...

They play "Duck-Duck-Grey Duck"

"Seriously?!" I asked a native Minnnesotan.

"Yes. What do you play?" they answered.

"Duck-Duck-Goose." I replied.

"A goose isn't even a duck." was their response.

"Duck-Duck-Grey Duck" is dumb. People in Minnnesota and anybody else that plays "Duck-Duck-Grey Duck" are idiots. It's "Duck-Duck-Goose"... everyone knows it. Calling it something different just because you think you came up with something special and cool isn't making it different... it's just confusing for everyone else just trying to play a game.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

neoliminal wrote:

When I spoke with Jervis, his ideal outcome of games was, and I'm paraphrasing, "That the worst coaches should still be able to win 1/3 or the games against the better players regardless of the difference in Team Value." I didn't agree with that, but I saw what he was trying to accomplish.

I guess that Jervis never played on Fumbbl.

That BBRC Member, NAF Founder, Ex-NAF President, Game Designer guy is only managing 34%. You'd expect him to know a thing or two.Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 02:48 Reply with quote Back to top

neoliminal wrote:

This isn't chess. Playing chess against a much better opponent isn't fun. Playing Blood Bowl against a better opponent doesn't mean he is going to win for sure. That's a big draw because otherwise why would newbies bother trying to get better?

Do you play chess?

It's not fun when the gap is too large...lower gaps are fun to play. I'd say within 100-300 grade points FIDE I find very fun and competitive.

When I'm playing in the Box, I aim for 80% win percentage. I know other coaches who aim higher still, in the 90%...and some of them hit it.

What Jervis wanted doesn't matter. There's enough skill left in BB to counter what he intended.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 03:16 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want these sorts of matches you can get these in ranked.
Synn

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 03:55 Reply with quote Back to top

God I remember when B was like this.

"Why yes... I would love to play higher TS teams because their coach happens to suck".

__Synn
neoliminal

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

I guess that Jervis never played on Fumbbl.

No, he never did.

And for the record, he never shut it down, which he could have. He wants people to play Blood Bowl. In his opinion it's the best game he will ever make. I think we can all get behind that.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 04:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh I sense a storm coming...
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 04:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh dear lord...

Where are my popcorn! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 05:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Where are my popcorn! Very Happy

You're sharing, right?

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2013 - 06:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Jeffro wrote:
When I was a kid, I grew up playing "Duck-Duck-Goose". I grew up in Illinois. People from Iowa played "Duck-Duck-Goose"... people in Indiana played "Duck-Duck-Goose"... people in Wisconsin played "Duck-Duck-Goose"... as far as I knew that's what people played in Indiana, Missouri, wherever!

When I moved to Minnesota, you know what I found out...

They play "Duck-Duck-Grey Duck"

"Seriously?!" I asked a native Minnnesotan.

"Yes. What do you play?" they answered.

"Duck-Duck-Goose." I replied.

"A goose isn't even a duck." was their response.

"Duck-Duck-Grey Duck" is dumb. People in Minnnesota and anybody else that plays "Duck-Duck-Grey Duck" are idiots. It's "Duck-Duck-Goose"... everyone knows it. Calling it something different just because you think you came up with something special and cool isn't making it different... it's just confusing for everyone else just trying to play a game.

I love you sir.

Jump to: