19 coaches online • Server time: 03:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Like this idea?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 25 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 50

SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2004 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there!

The old wild animal was good but was broken. this suggestion and poll isnt intended so people say "but the old WA was better" rather it is a discussion so anyone who wants to can use this rule in their own tabletop leagues! Smile

Ok.....

I am currently fed up with the current WA ruling so i decided to make my own! i use this ruling on tabletop...

Wild Animal:

Wild animals are extremely violent and uncontrollable creatures by nature. Once you shove them out on the field there isnt much you can do to stop them.
at the start of your tun (after a ball & chain player has moved) you must declare your action and make a Wild animal roll. On a roll of 2+ the Wild animal may contine to carry out his action normally but on a 1 the Wild animal bursts into a fit of rage and MUST BLITZ the nearest player (opposing coach decides if 2 players are at the same distance.
If the wild animal blocks a teammate then the opposing coach chooses the block die but if not then choose the block dice as normal. The wild animal must block a player or a turnover will result

This is cool as you dont have much control over the wild animal in that he moves first, may have to blitz a team mate and can cause you turnovers early in the turn. it is quite similar to ollies idea but i like this better!

this rule will result in an uncontrollable beast who can be controlled at times and can prove to be a match winner but a match loser as well

This would be cool as well in that if he was set up in the backfield he may fail his WA roll and may have to blitz a teammate in the LOS! it could cause carnage as the opponent would get to choose which player had to be blitzed!

Very Happy
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2004 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

this is also cool in that your players will be wary of this wild animal on your team because they fear they might get blocked so they will keep away from him!
Ithilkir

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2004 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

This is pretty much the same as WA version 1.. Which was eventually discarded.. 'nuff said.

Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2004 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it does remove part of the "play the WA, not the game" factor that they were trying to remove. You can't take away someone's turn just by swarming the WA and making it roll a 2 die against. You can do that if you swarm the WA and it rolls a 1, which is infinitely (ok, six times) riskier.

I think the way it is now is a nice, simple mechanic, however. I think we're probably going to have the current version for a while. I actually ended up missing the old version, tbh. Good idea, though, brownrob_ni.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2004 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Great Idea, this is the Old and -also- first rule for WA, I have played a lot of game with it and is very funny, better than the new one.

And if someone thiks this rule is not a disavantage, play a mino and kill your own player Smile
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2004 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a stupid question, but since I am here I think I will ask... Smile

Simple put: why making WA Big Guys SO RISKY? Why everybody seems to think that they are horrible, terrible, awesome wreaking-havoc killing machines and need to be stopped somehow? They are (well, ok, the large majority of them is) just players with 5 STR and Mighty Blow. Which does not turn them into killers... Such a rule for WA would be too big a backslash, wouldn't it?

I'll try to be a little clearer: I know that a Piling On, Mighty Blow, Claw, RazorSharp Claws, Block, Wild Animal is a killing machine. Ok, that's obvious. But it takes at least three advance rolls to have your Big Guy REALLY making the difference. Since then, he just has to suffer a WA penalty way too negative compared to his performances.

Anyone got the point (i am italian so my english is probably awful)?
And, if anyone did, do you agree?
And if you do not agree, just explain why do you take WA Big Guys in such a high consideration. Yes, they give you 2d blocks without assists, and they hit harder the opponents. But hell, I have a Skaven blitzer who caused more injuries than my Rat Ogre... and I can assure you that my Rat Ogre always blocks and hunts for prey.

So?

Thanks everybody.

BTW: I voted "no". Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2004 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

well if you decide to take a wild animal for your team you cant really expect it to behave and act like you want it to all the time!

to be quite frank i hate the current wild animal rule! it makes no sense w.r.t skills on the wild animals and also the fluff, why will a frenzied animal stand around and roar if there is nobody beside him to hit? Smile

Im not trying to sound like force here (hopefully not Smile) but i just wanna see wild animals back to where they should be, this rule is FUN, it does need tweaking for my league (which is where you guys come in!) feel free to say how you could make this rule better (not by saying "scrap it, its no use! Or "the old rule was so much better!"). Somebody said the blitz section of this rule wouldnt work but to keep trying as the current versions and proposals just plain stink. I do want to try and change this rule to something playable and enjoyable but am i the only person here with the inspiration to think of a NEW idea?

Sad
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2004 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok...
i made a slight revision to my rule with the help of some others!

Wild Animal:

Quote:
Wild animals are extremely violent and uncontrollable creatures by nature. Once you shove them out on the field there isnt much you can do to stop them.
at the start of your turn (after a ball & chain player has moved) you must declare your action and make a Wild animal roll. On a roll of 2+ the Wild animal may contine to carry out his action normally but on a 1 the Wild animal bursts into a fit of rage and MUST BLITZ the nearest player. only one blitz action may be used in this way and the coach may choose which player to hit if 2 or more players are an equal distance from the Wild Animal.
If the wild animal blocks a teammate then the coach may choose the block dice as normal. The wild animal must block a player or he will stand still and roar in rage, furious that there is nobody in range to hit. The teams blitz is used up in this action and may not take another blitz action this turn

again, let me know what you think of my suggestion! Smile
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2004 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, ok, Browwnrob... Didn't mean to upset you. Smile

The new rule sounds good. It makes a skaven cage with a ratogre as a frontline player SO DAMN DANGEROUS!!! Very Happy

I agree... this could do.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2004 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it, would make you use the WA less as a (crappy) part of the team and more like a beast you send into the opponents half to wreak havoc..
Loof

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2004 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

This is as others have pointed out almost exactly the old WA rules, and from my experience the only effect they had was that any coatch that cared about winning didnt get a big guy with WA. Just the part that uses up a little more then one blitz per game half is a huge disadvantage, add in that it about half the time will be a blitz aganst your own team and its even worse and for teh final straw make the beast have to move first... it just is'nt worth haveing a player with those drawbacks.
If you realy want to have a rule that works soemthing like this i would sugest it either not useing up the team blitz for the turn, or not haveing to move first.

My sugestion would probably be that it doesnt have to act first, and if the team blitz has already been used when it rolls a one, it will have to either block any player standing next to it or do nothing for the rest of the turn. Which coach should get to deside what it blocks/blitzes I'm unsure of.
gken1

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2004 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

lrb 3.0 should be out by next week with 2+ block/blitz, 4+ everything else.
Aequitas

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2004 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

With this much randomness to it, I don't think I'd ever get a Minotaur again. I like the current rules for them, they're <i>almost</i> reliable. And if they get a doubles, Claw or Tentacles increases the damage/usefulness. And although Rob's idea there does make sense (Wild Animal after all), it would be pointless to ever risk getting a mino for my chaos team.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2004 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

There is another forum here that talks about limitating the access to the general Skills to Big Guys. I.e, they can't get block until they roll a double. If this rule is accepted, then this WA rule becomes too dangerous...