44 coaches online • Server time: 20:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Record the length of...goto Post 145 League and Tourn...goto Post killing by fun?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Where should I apply the 'uncontested catch' rule?
You shouldn't. AG3 passing is perfectly fine.
75%
 75%  [ 51 ]
Make it a passing skill. Perfect Spiral.
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Add it to a marginal passing skill.
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Add it to the Pass skill.
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 68

Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2016 - 06:13 Reply with quote Back to top

The main reason I think it is usually not viable is the clock. Passing to get a TD usually means you leave too much time on the clock.

The second reason is because of the first many don't build a passer, either for TV reasons or because you want to control the clock better by running. If you don't build the players you can't ever do it well. It is not really that most races can't get the skills to do it just fine.

Yeah it is viewed as more risk but it is the risk of the other teams scoring I think. Caging for 7 turns has it's own risks too it is just viewed as safer because of the clock control.

DLE College 7s
Uedder

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2016 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, having a proper passer it gets really easy to control the clock. And it's not like you can't have a running drive after passing the ball.

But yes, passing the ball with ag3 is not really safe. And i think that's fine. These are not NFL professional players, trained from childhood to play the ball. Mostly they're just scumbags who wanna get some easy money risking their lives on the field. And of those who get to a professional level, most really enjoy killing more than playing the ball. 3+ is perfectly fine for those kind of players.

Like HM pointed, dedicated catchers could get a +1 to catch, it would make perfect sense. And would give the poor human catcher some real sense. Having a viable "safe" passing option would probably put them more to use and give humans a consistent buff.
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2016 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

This is just a non-starter. The last thing I want to see is an Ork team that can pass the ball almost as good as elves (or Chaos for that matter... or DORFS!). I don't need to self affirm some stinking human's inferiority complex to the elves. He can go play little leeg if he wants to get a trophy just for participating... (and I don't mean "stunty"!)

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2016 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to see more passing play 4x 4 turn quarters instead of 2 x 8 turn halves would encourage teams to get on with it.
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2016 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Endzone wrote:
If you want to see more passing play 4x 4 turn quarters instead of 2 x 8 turn halves would encourage teams to get on with it.

I love it! Gimme that game format!
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2016 - 18:03
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

When you suggested it in the OP I thought you were suggesting a universal +1 for catching uncontested. When you then asked 'where to apply this?' I thought it was confusing. If you're applying it I'd probably keep it universal. It does make skills like Diving Catch and Catch less valuable than they already are though.

My own suggestion to 'buff passing' was to not have the passing modifier apply when determining whether a throw is a fumble or not. This would mean a natural one would always fumble, and when throwing in TZs you have more chance to fumble, but the distance you're throwing doesn't have a bearing on the odds of dropping it at your feet. I think it opens up a lot more chances for passing plays. 'Punt' passing becomes a lot more viable, and diving catch becomes better as there's more inaccurate passes being thrown.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2016 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Endzone wrote:

+1

But not just for Passing reasons Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2016 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Pie!
I disagree on the +1 for catching, just take catch damnit, and your fine Smile
3+ with catch is not a problem.
Although I agree on buffing the pass-catch system, but maybe just fumble on 1s instead is better, instead 1-3 on longbombs? (unless you got acc+strongarm)
main problem for me while playing elfs in various matches is more the fumble than the missed throw, sometimes its not worth the risk.

even better suggestion, dont make it a turnouver to miss/fumble the ball (unless it bounces out or in opponents hands.)
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2016 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Lets go back in time...

Allow every team to roster a wiz and allow the wiz to be played at any point in the turn (and still cause a turnover) - not just at the beginning. That means you have to score in turn7 at the latest, so the other team always gets a two turn score chance. People will take passing (and proper defensive skills) more seriously then. At the moment you dont need to diversify skills as bash only is a viable tactic for so many teams.

Most people setup now without even defending their wide zones, as the only thing you are "defending" is your star players rather than space on the pitch. This hardly encourages expansive play.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2016 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree on the premise. I dont necessarily agree on the execution. Caging is safe, and it will be safer even passing is stronger. So the easiest fix would be to make caging harder. Maybe longer pitch? That would make passing more necessary, and caging less feasible. But that would invite all sorts of other issues.
Maybe improve the strip ball like stunts? Like dedicated sacking skills? Maybe, dunno.
Anyway, just making passing better does not necessarily promote passing. Anyway the easiest way to buff would be to reroll the reroll. So catch and pass would de facto not function as reroll, but additional roll.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2016 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I have an Idea, what about changing the skill safe throw, a player with safe throw could _choose_ to make the throw at the end of the players turn, so when a turnover happens the player with safe throw throws the ball,if he/she has moved and declared a pass. Additionally it works like before on countering interception.

this could make it less riskier to throw the ball?
Diddyboy

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2016 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
My own suggestion to 'buff passing' was to not have the passing modifier apply when determining whether a throw is a fumble or not. This would mean a natural one would always fumble, and when throwing in TZs you have more chance to fumble, but the distance you're throwing doesn't have a bearing on the odds of dropping it at your feet. I think it opens up a lot more chances for passing plays. 'Punt' passing becomes a lot more viable, and diving catch becomes better as there's more inaccurate passes being thrown.

+1 would love for this to happen. If this would happen my cathers would actually have a chance of getting diving catch
Endzone

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2016 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, I have always disliked the increased chance of fumble due to distance of throw. It always seemed counter intuitive to me that the chance of a fumble could be higher than the chance of a missed pass (unless the ball was slippery or you were under pressure from other players).
fidius

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
I agree on the premise. I dont necessarily agree on the execution. Caging is safe, and it will be safer even passing is stronger. So the easiest fix would be to make caging harder.

Insightful comment. I agree. A Leap for Strength players might do the trick. Break Tackle doesn't quite cut it it seems.
Uedder

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2016 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

More Vindaloo is the answer!
 Jump to: