25 coaches online • Server time: 03:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

101 lines are harder to get 3d blocks on, but it's not impossible.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

It's very easy to get one 3d block with one ST5 player against a 101 line by blocking diagonally. I don't usually do this with anti-skill bigs who lose their action on 1 in 6, but with a Mummy, a TG, or Zug, you can stick him in the play-side 2 column, open with your 0-column against the opposing back-side 1, and then with your 1 against the 0, so you're shifting the whole D-line up/down the pitch one square. Don't follow with either, and now your ST5 guy has 2 assists on the play-side 1 technique.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes its possible of course to get multiple blocks and 3 dice blocks on the 101 line, but in practice, it fails pretty often when the blocks don't pan out just right. This gives some protection. The other thing thats nice, is it becomes harder to isolate someone for a +7 foul, particularly if the rest of the team doesn't sit so far back...

Oscar Wilde
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Yah, I run a 101 line myself. So many suboptimal blockers only get 3x 2d or 2x 2d and 1x 3d hits on them. But it gives the offense a lot more control over the pitch, so I see why some coaches run the 303.

Also, 321 is popular against slow teams. This offense works about as well against a 321 defense as it does against a 303 defense, IF you either have a ST4 player to make the opening block, or Guard on your Frenzy.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 03:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Harad wrote:
If the opponent has frenzy I tend to set up to avoid this. Sorry Smile

ditto. it's pretty much an anti-noob strategy, no?

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 03:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I did it to some good coaches. See OP examples.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 04:47 Reply with quote Back to top

If my opponent has frenzy and wants to waste all those blocks moving one guy 5 squares I'm more than happy to let him try.

Like anyone should care about where their LOS fodder winds up?
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 05:03 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
Like anyone should care about where their LOS fodder winds up?
Keeping your numbers up is how you protect your good players.

You're not going to win the drive on Turn 1. You're going to build some advantage and not give up critical positioning. If you surf a player on Turn 1, you don't have to think about him until Turn 8 at least. That's 7 turns he's not going to be screening off the guys you really wanna hit, or giving them assists, or whatever. The key is that you're actually in good position when it's done, even if it "fails". You get multiple blocks on each defender on the line and still have the manpower left to blitz, with good coverage on both sides of the pitch. The surf is an occasional bennie, but it's a fun one. Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 05:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Letting someone roll at pushes is fine with me, I'd encourage it like I said.

Sure, sometimes you will surf him. Most of the time you will not, and you will have left your ability to more the rest of your players at the door.

You say your position will still be fine. That obviously depends on a lot of factors, so sure, you may not choose to do this vs. a team which could take advantage of your remaining position, and there are teams which can do that.

You are using 4 players to throw blocks at one player, and you need to roll pushes, and every time you choose a push over a knock down you are fishing for skulls or double both down. And if you succeed, or come close, where is your blitz? You don't have the players left for the assist, and if you do go for it you are completely leaving the back field uncovered.

I mean it's cool and all, but meh, I honestly think it's a pretty terrible idea.
fidius

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 06:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer 8675309.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 07:21 Reply with quote Back to top

@Lick, I'm not saying you're rolling for pushes. Take pows if you don't feel the surf. You still end up in good position. But this way, if you do get pushes....

And yes, it benefits greatly from having a ST4 Blitzer to blitz with.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 07:34 Reply with quote Back to top

the guys I put on the line when being out bashed are actually considered casualty... so i don't care that much.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

LOS surfing is pretty fun, I do try to do it if it's possible. But It's also usually much more profitable to surf a guy in the widezone if that's on (or sideline trap them using a St4/fleshie when using necro).

I am genuinely terrible with norse but will attempt to LOS surf most formations with them if I'm either winning or in a total-loss game.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Frenzy is an amazing skill that has so many uses. This is just scratching the surface.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

sometimes ite better to push all the LoS goons into the centre so you can lock them in with guard, tackle etc and just keep hitting them until they stop getting up. But I can see that surfing a player is usually worth it - especially against ie elves
 Jump to: