22 coaches online • Server time: 02:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
m0nty

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2004 - 06:39 Reply with quote Back to top

This will all get fixed when the Vault rules come in. I, for one, can't wait.
Renegade

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2004 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

uber wrote:
/me writes on a piece of paper... "DNP: Myrdin" Very Happy

That is so unbelievably lame.

Rengade writes Uber then 'LOSER' on a piece of paper and spends the next ten minutes laughing at his wit - or apparent lack of it!
Myrdin

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2004 - 04:27 Reply with quote Back to top

At first I was annoyed because I was under the impression that fumbbl followed the LRB pre-match sequence (as explained on page 42 of the LRB), and therefore thought Alibaba was cheating.

I later heard different from the management, to wich I came to the conclusion that there is a huge tactical dis-advantage in hosting a game, as to wich I posted. I never alleged that this was some kind of sportsmanship discussion. This was just my fair warning to all players that hosting a game puts you at a disadvantage since you will not be able to spring wizards, starplayers on people and will be at the mercy of someone wanting to do it on you.

I feel that there is something wrong with the current system if it means that hosting a game puts you at such a disadvantage.
Mully

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2004 - 04:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I feel that there is something wrong with the current system if it means that hosting a game puts you at such a disadvantage

Well it's the best they can do right now and I'm sure there is a very small % of games that this would effect. But yes, this was discussed on some type of thread several months ago.

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2004 - 07:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Just change the rules on the "rules" page, so that if there are any changes that haven't been agreed upon between agreeing to play and playing, the game doen't have to continued after connection. Problem solved.

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2004 - 07:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Quod wrote:
Just change the rules on the "rules" page, so that if there are any changes that haven't been agreed upon between agreeing to play and playing, the game doen't have to continued after connection. Problem solved.

This just cant be done because then its just word against word in situations where someone changes their mind and there is no telling who is talking the truth. And no, irc-logs aint proof, you can always make your own.
Jevulen

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2004 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

A good solution to this would be to have the pre-match sequence play out in the java-client, but maybe that is too hard to implement. Aka. enabling you to hire stars/wizards before the match actually starts, but still in the java-client.
Tyroine

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 09:55 Reply with quote Back to top

people who play the tabletop know there IS a pre-game where you can purchase these things before the game. i'm curious if you even need to tell the other player if you do or not? ah well doesn't really matter to me, in my opinion you shouldn't be able to even see the other players team roster and everything about their team, only the team rating should suffice, i guess i'm the only one who likes being surprised.
Kruppe

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

well sparticus, I hope you agree that buying RAmtut isnt useless
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

grrr I hate Ramtut, and I hate stars.
Mafo

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem as I see it is that on fumbbl you dont use TR as often as TS to look for matches. I recently had an offer against one of my teams by a chaos team that was way higher (70TR, 30 TS). But as he had a couple MNG so i thought what the heck. I also asked him if he was going to buy a star which he said he wouldnt. I asked him to host but he said I should do it, and that made me suspicious. As i checked his team page I saw he had bought a new CW and was about 45 in TS over me, but same TR (this was in ladder, so we could play with that TS-difference). I told him the game was off, cause we hadnt connected yet.

Why did I tell him the game was off then? Well, one of his main arguments why we should play was that he was only 30 TS over me, as i would never accept a challenge from a team with that TR otherwise or from a team with 45 more TS when I had only about 140 TR/TS. But suddenly his team isnt the same as the one he asked me to play against. Same TR sure, but he got me to play based on his TS which wasnt the same after the buy.

I think thats the reason why stars and pre-game hiring are frowned upon on fumbbl. If a guy asks to play against you with a TS the same as yours and you accept, you get a little upset when the team he shows up with has about 40 more TS than you.

Thats why you should do all your purchases and hiring before asking people to play or at least tell them youre gonna hire/buy something. Cause if you ask someone to play against you based on TS youre actually lying if you change the team just before the game.

Thats my opinion at least...
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

If a player would do that kind of thing to me, I would not even play the ball but only try to kill his player. I think that's a miserable technique.
stargzrrag

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

A team like that would probably kill your team Sk8bcn.

Wtg Mafo, sounds to me like you're in the right there.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Some of you people have serious issues Rolling Eyes

In the tabletop game I've never seen anybody whine about freebooters of any kind.

To use an opponent hiring a wizard as an excuse to quit is deeply pathetic, Alibaba and any other coach who behaves like this should be ashamed.

Extra cash has been used to surprise oponents since year dot, if you don't like wizards or stars check your opponents roster before the game. Then you can protect yourself in this way.

If any coach comes up with this sort of reason not to play me they get added to my pathetic asshole must avoid list.

Its a game learn to cope Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I for one don't mind if someone freeboots suddenly on me...that's suppose to occur during prematch sequence after the game is agreed on in tabletop. np for me. However, if it disrupted the TS difference enough to kill the upload of the match, I would then be ticked.
half the time I wouldn't even know as I don't look at the other team...more fun for me that way (I still trust the TR/TS system enough to know if it's a fair game).

but again, I think Myrdin's topic is, entering the game first puts you at a game disadvantage. Had Myrdin been the client loading second, would it have been illegal for his opponent to simply cancel upon noticing the freeboot? yes or no.